Topographical maps

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Topographical maps

Post by The Annoyed Man »

crazy2medic wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:06 pm I'm a bit rusty on this so correct me if I'm wrong the distance between contour lines is 100ft?
The closer the lines are to each other the steeper the terrain?
A. Depends on the size of the map. I’ve seen 40 ft contour lines.
B. Yes.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ELB wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:19 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:16 pm ...I’ve had Kinko's laminate 8.5x11 and smaller sheets before, but I wonder if they can handle a 20"x26" sheet.
I was just at Office Depot getting a sign laminated. They told me they can handle anything up to 24" wide and an indefinite amount long. Apparently the material for that size comes in a roll.

That's for the one in Seguin. I don't know if that is true for all Office Depots.
Thanks!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

crazy2medic wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:06 pm I'm a bit rusty on this so correct me if I'm wrong the distance between contour lines is 100ft?
The closer the lines are to each other the steeper the terrain?
The contour interval can be different between maps. It should be listed in the marginal data (the data usually at the bottom of the map). Generally, it will be less than 100', (10', 20', etc), and every 100' line will be darker/heavier and labelled to denote 100', 200', etc. (Could also be in meters, depending on map).

And you are correct; the closer the lines are together, the steeper the terrain. A cliff will have several contour lines coming together, & usually will have little tick marks denoting the cliff.

Return to “Off-Topic”