No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4262
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:16 am
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

#1

Post by surprise_i'm_armed » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:44 pm

<The link I initially provided does not work, so I removed it and altered the text below>

An article from the Dallas Morning News' "Watchdog" reporter Dave Lieber, dated 7/21/19, details Texas drivers license data.
The article appears to reside behind a pay wall, and I could not find an alternative way to link to the story.

If you don't have a star in a circle in the upper right corner of your Texas drivers License, your DL will not allow you to board an aircraft after October 1, 2020. The reason relates to the federal REAL ID act.

If your license doesn't contain this star, it is likely that your DL was issued before 2016.

The article goes on to bemoan the terribly understaffing of the DL process across Texas. One example is that DPS opened up a gigantic DL office in Garland (Dallas County), but the wait times are terrible.

In the City of Denton, the DPS license office on Loop 288 is super tiny, and has been this way for decades, even though the Denton County population explosion has been going on for years.

If you don't have a star on your DL, you can get an updated DL anytime within 2 years of your current expiration. Given the long wait times, you may wish to put this on your "to do" list.

SIA
Last edited by surprise_i'm_armed on Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute and it feels like an hour.
Sit with a pretty girl for an hour and it feels like a minute.
That is relativity.

Albert Einstein, 1879-1955.

User avatar

narcissist
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:09 am

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

#2

Post by narcissist » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:58 pm

It's mainly for the facial recognition software.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6155
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

#3

Post by Liberty » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:47 pm

It's not a big deal if you have a passport or passport card. I don't show the TSA guys an ID that has my address on it. They know you're out of town, your home is vulnerable
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

LabRat
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

#4

Post by LabRat » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:20 pm

Liberty wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:47 pm
It's not a big deal if you have a passport or passport card. I don't show the TSA guys an ID that has my address on it. They know you're out of town, your home is vulnerable
Passport is the way. I agree.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you....but it's still on my list.
In filling out an application, where it says, "In case of Emergency notify...", I answered "a doctor"
This is not legal advice.

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

#5

Post by oljames3 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:02 pm

I and my dependents have DOD issued ID.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 12752
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

#6

Post by C-dub » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:01 pm

I have no star in the upper right hand corner or my DL. It was renewed in 2016 and isn't due for renewal until 2022. MY LTC also does not have a start in the upper right hand corner.

That link does not go to any article for me.

I need to renew my passport anyway, so maybe it's a moot point for me.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider


Grayling813
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

#7

Post by Grayling813 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:58 am

Federal Real ID Act - shows example of new TX DL
https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense ... lIdAct.htm

User avatar

AF-Odin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:00 pm
Location: Near Fort Hood

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

#8

Post by AF-Odin » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:11 am

For DOD ID, I was denied in Atlanta. DOD ID had expiration date as "Indefinite" and TSA dude told me that was not allowed and must be a government issued ID with an expiration date. Things got terse for a few minutes when I pulled my Texas LTC, but that is another funny story. Finally accepted my TX DL. That is the only place my DOD ID has been denied.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC & SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
NRA & TSRA Life Member

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 25186
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

#9

Post by The Annoyed Man » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:19 pm

C-dub wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:01 pm
I have no star in the upper right hand corner or my DL. It was renewed in 2016 and isn't due for renewal until 2022. MY LTC also does not have a start in the upper right hand corner.

That link does not go to any article for me.

I need to renew my passport anyway, so maybe it's a moot point for me.
You can request a new copy of your current license, so long as you’re more than 2 years from renewal. Maybe the new one will have the star.
R
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


Grayling813
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

#10

Post by Grayling813 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:11 pm

My TX DL was issued in May, 2016 before DPS started issuing REALID compliant licenses. It doesn’t expire until 2023, so according to DPS website the October 2020 deadline will be more than 2 years before my expiration, leaving me unable to have a federally approved form of ID for boarding aircraft.
Hopefully there will be an expansion of the allowed 2 year time to renew for people caught between the dates like I am.
Yeah, I know I can get a passport....


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

#11

Post by rotor » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:25 pm

Here is what it looks like




LDP
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

#12

Post by LDP » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:29 pm

TSA never ceases to amaze with their level of stupidity.
How they have the legal power to refuse a VALID and REAL ID is beyond me. I guess everybody needs a star on their ID, like in schools nowadays. It's the participation trophy of today. *shrug*


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

#13

Post by rotor » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:38 pm

LDP wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:29 pm
TSA never ceases to amaze with their level of stupidity.
How they have the legal power to refuse a VALID and REAL ID is beyond me. I guess everybody needs a star on their ID, like in schools nowadays. It's the participation trophy of today. *shrug*
I guess you mean stupidity of Congress as they created the law. But they (dems) want to ban voter ID.


LDP
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

#14

Post by LDP » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:59 pm

rotor wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:38 pm
LDP wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:29 pm
TSA never ceases to amaze with their level of stupidity.
How they have the legal power to refuse a VALID and REAL ID is beyond me. I guess everybody needs a star on their ID, like in schools nowadays. It's the participation trophy of today. *shrug*
I guess you mean stupidity of Congress as they created the law. But they (dems) want to ban voter ID.
My mistake. I misunderstood, I thought it was TSA refusing to acknowledge the "outdated" IDs. As long as it is valid, I don't see a problem.
I do not understand how rules, regulations and laws like these can pass, without anybody applying basic common sense.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3871
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

#15

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:45 pm

LDP wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:59 pm
rotor wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:38 pm
LDP wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:29 pm
TSA never ceases to amaze with their level of stupidity.
How they have the legal power to refuse a VALID and REAL ID is beyond me. I guess everybody needs a star on their ID, like in schools nowadays. It's the participation trophy of today. *shrug*
I guess you mean stupidity of Congress as they created the law. But they (dems) want to ban voter ID.
My mistake. I misunderstood, I thought it was TSA refusing to acknowledge the "outdated" IDs. As long as it is valid, I don't see a problem.
I do not understand how rules, regulations and laws like these can pass, without anybody applying basic common sense.
The better question is "why does TSA require your ID to match your boarding pass?". If the point is to prevent folks on the no fly list from getting past them, then there is no need to ensure that your ticket matches your name. Personally, I think the point is to help safeguard the revenue of the airlines by preventing folks from re-selling tickets they can't use (and where the airline gladly resells the same seat to someone on the standby list for that flight).

Yes, I know its a condition of the transaction I entered into with the airline, but I'd prefer that my employees at the TSA focus on security, first and foremost.

I have the same concerns about TSA employees enforcing carry-on bag size restrictions which happens at some airports.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”