Communications Failures?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
imkopaka
Posts in topic: 1

Communications Failures?

Post by imkopaka »

Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any info on this?

Throughout the day today I've had several different people (myself included) report that their cell phone calls are being dropped about 2 seconds after connecting. This is multiple phone types on multiple carriers, with some people reporting these issues in Lubbock and some in Lamesa (60 miles from each other).

To make things weirder, several people (myself included) had issues with our portable radios (on a repeater) not transmitting and having to turn them off and back on to work.

To make things EVEN WEIRDER one person also reported their FM radio in their front-end loader stopped receiving signal from any station for a short time and only got static.

I'd like to say solar flare/storm, but we usually know about those in advance and get ample warning. Does anyone know what's going on?
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

C-dub

Re: Communications Failures?

Post by C-dub »

I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

It’s the Russians tampering again
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

snorri
Posts in topic: 2

Post by snorri »

minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

snorri wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:48 pm Image
It's not the Russians, it's the left-wing, dimocrat anti 2A squids!

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Oldgringo wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:20 pm
All squids are offended by your post.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

snorri

Post by snorri »

anygunanywhere wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:22 pm
The ones who honor their oath to the constitution have a reason to be offended. Oathbreakers like Dan Crenshaw acting offended is as ludicrous as the recent meltdown by special snowflake Fredo Cuomo.
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

snorri wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:31 pm
anygunanywhere wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:22 pm
The ones who honor their oath to the constitution have a reason to be offended. Oathbreakers like Dan Crenshaw acting offended is as ludicrous as the recent meltdown by special snowflake Fredo Cuomo.
Squid = sailor. Navy veteran or current active duty navy.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

stash

Post by stash »

I think it was on Drudge Report yesterday that Texas had been attacked by ransomware (mostly state agencies) that deal with electricity and other things of that nature. I did lose electricity Friday for a very short time.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

imkopaka wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:14 pm Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any info on this?

Throughout the day today I've had several different people (myself included) report that their cell phone calls are being dropped about 2 seconds after connecting. This is multiple phone types on multiple carriers, with some people reporting these issues in Lubbock and some in Lamesa (60 miles from each other).

To make things weirder, several people (myself included) had issues with our portable radios (on a repeater) not transmitting and having to turn them off and back on to work.

To make things EVEN WEIRDER one person also reported their FM radio in their front-end loader stopped receiving signal from any station for a short time and only got static.

I'd like to say solar flare/storm, but we usually know about those in advance and get ample warning. Does anyone know what's going on?
We had a brief problem with a VHF repeater, but the UHF one worked fine. I used the VHF last evening and it was back to normal. An FM radio station I was listening to later in the day went off for a few seconds. I didn't think about it being nefarious, but it could have been FEMA testing their communications shut down system. Or a B52,B1, or B2 flying overhead accidentally turned on the jammers. :leaving
N5PNZ

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

When I was working with the guidance systems on John Deere tractors we had occasions where we lost RTK guidance. The tractors use 900 Mhz radios and, while we couldn't prove it, we lost signal sometimes when oil field trucks went by. I assumed they were running hot radios to make up for the remote areas they cover. The oil field also control pump jacks, etc. remotely now and will send out a "clearing signal" to drop all signals so they can send their signal through. We had the biggest problem in the Lamesa area. I don't think it is supposed to be aimed at every body but just the oil field radios but it seems to bleed over sometimes. It also seemed to be isolated to small, seemingly random, areas. I spent about three years chasing after it off and on but could never get a definitive source, just too large an area and not frequent enough in one area. I bugged John Deere about it for those three years and John Deere shifted their signal to a less populated band and it seems to have helped. I don't know if my pestering had anything to do with it or it was just coincidence.

White Sands also throws out some jamming signals sometimes but I think it stays within GPS signals and not radio bands. I know some of our western stores had to deal with it occasionally.

We do have frequent Air Force traffic out this way so that could also be a possibility.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Return to “Off-Topic”