FORT HENDERSON. Fort Henderson was built by Maj. William H. Smith's Texas Ranger battalion early in 1837 and commanded by Capt. Lee C. Smith as part of the defensive line established by the Republic of Texas against marauding plains Indians.
The fort was named for Gen. James Pinckney Henderson, secretary of state. It was on the upper Navasota River near the present boundaries of Robertson and Leon counties, deep in Indian territory and therefore difficult to supply and of questionable defensive utility. For those reasons the fort was abandoned soon after its construction, probably in the fall of 1837.
Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!
1 post • Page 1 of 1