Ring Doorbell

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
DXer
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:26 pm
Location: DFW Mesquite

Ring Doorbell

#1

Post by DXer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:02 pm

My wife is on me to get a Ring or similar doorbell camera. She gets no argument from me except the space available is extremely narrow and won't permit a flush mount. Talked to my BIL this weekend and he was aware of one that pivoted out so it could be mounted at an angle and still see who is coming up the walk. I've looked at the Ring web page and fail to see anything like this, but he insists it is made by Ring. Anyone with experience with these things? I'd like to avoid a battery deal and use the 24 volt bell wiring if possible.


Tex1961
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 am
Location: Frisco, Texas

Re: Ring Doorbell

#2

Post by Tex1961 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:35 pm

You can find the angle / corner mounts everywhere. Amazon, eBay, Home Depot, etc. just do a quick google search for ring doorbell corner mount.
Mike Troncalli
Owner and operator of Tejas Products "Manufacturer of firearm related accessories and custom laser engraving"
and Certified gun nut. :txflag:

WWW.TEJASPRODUCTS.COM


SigM4
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 691
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:14 am
Location: Willow Park

Re: Ring Doorbell

#3

Post by SigM4 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:46 pm

Yep, they’re aftermarket wedge kits but pretty straight forward.

You mention a narrow area, how small are you talking? Reason I ask is we only have a very narrow course of brick but we’re still able to easily mount a Ring Pro.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 10216
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Ring Doorbell

#4

Post by carlson1 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:44 pm

My doorbell is flat, but my other three outside ring cams are on a swivel and have a solar panel mounted. I just bought three indoor cameras and they are great.

What I like about it is for the most part they are inexpensive and for $100 they will record for how ever many cameras you want to put on at one address. The down fall for me is making sure I have enough WiFi power for them to work quickly.

I don’t have enough WiFi power or I have would have the last place in my back yard corner lit up and on camera. Without that place you can only get in my property by helicopter and not be seen. I also mounted mine almost at eye level. I don’t care about seeing the top of a hoody. Even if they grab and still the camera it is taped.
Image

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 7965
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Ring Doorbell

#5

Post by RoyGBiv » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:59 am

I bought and installed this last week. $10. Working great so far.

Amazon link
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

User avatar

chamberc
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:45 pm
Location: Las Colinas

Re: Ring Doorbell

#6

Post by chamberc » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:47 am

DXer wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:02 pm
My wife is on me to get a Ring or similar doorbell camera. She gets no argument from me except the space available is extremely narrow and won't permit a flush mount. Talked to my BIL this weekend and he was aware of one that pivoted out so it could be mounted at an angle and still see who is coming up the walk. I've looked at the Ring web page and fail to see anything like this, but he insists it is made by Ring. Anyone with experience with these things? I'd like to avoid a battery deal and use the 24 volt bell wiring if possible.
The Ring pro is very narrow (no battery) 4.5" x 1.8" x 0.8".
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com


jailbird
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Ring Doorbell

#7

Post by jailbird » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 am

Keep in mind that if you go with a Ring Pro and you use hardwired chimes, there is an issue where the Texas heat will kill the LiPo battery in them after 18 months or so. The doorbell itself will keep working, but your hardwired chimes will suddenly stop working. No alert or anything from the app.

There is a lot of information out there (especially Reddit) about this issue and hardware modifications to fix it. Personally I just replaced mine with a Nest Hello which actually includes the wedge in the package. So far it works pretty well, my only gripe is that the “chime” on the phone app is pretty quiet. However it does have new features like face detection, package dropped off/picked up detection, etc.


pushpullpete
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Re: Ring Doorbell

#8

Post by pushpullpete » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:01 am

The Ring Pro that I put in our new place (we had the same one at our other house) has wedges included that allow for installation
on a set (non-adjustable) angle. That one that RoyGBiv linked to looks pretty nice & IS adjustable. It looks like you could aim it if
you wanted to. We have been pretty happy with it.

User avatar

puma guy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6174
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: Ring Doorbell

#9

Post by puma guy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:16 pm

I just bought a refurbished Ring 2 from Woot (an Amazon company) for $69 to try out and the kit has wedges included. I have charged it up and it's on my honey do list after I finish hanging curtains. At least I get to use a screw GUN! :cool:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

User avatar

chamberc
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:45 pm
Location: Las Colinas

Re: Ring Doorbell

#10

Post by chamberc » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:19 pm

jailbird wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 am
Keep in mind that if you go with a Ring Pro and you use hardwired chimes, there is an issue where the Texas heat will kill the LiPo battery in them after 18 months or so. The doorbell itself will keep working, but your hardwired chimes will suddenly stop working. No alert or anything from the app.

There is a lot of information out there (especially Reddit) about this issue and hardware modifications to fix it. Personally I just replaced mine with a Nest Hello which actually includes the wedge in the package. So far it works pretty well, my only gripe is that the “chime” on the phone app is pretty quiet. However it does have new features like face detection, package dropped off/picked up detection, etc.
Have had my Ring Pro since release day without issue here in Dallas, facing south. Mechanical chimes work fine.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

User avatar

Lumberjack98
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1255
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:15 pm
Location: Katy

Re: Ring Doorbell

#11

Post by Lumberjack98 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:21 pm

RoyGBiv wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:59 am
I bought and installed this last week. $10. Working great so far.

Amazon link
I have this same item and it was easy to install and works great.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member


jailbird
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Ring Doorbell

#12

Post by jailbird » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:23 pm

chamberc wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:19 pm
jailbird wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 am
Keep in mind that if you go with a Ring Pro and you use hardwired chimes, there is an issue where the Texas heat will kill the LiPo battery in them after 18 months or so. The doorbell itself will keep working, but your hardwired chimes will suddenly stop working. No alert or anything from the app.

There is a lot of information out there (especially Reddit) about this issue and hardware modifications to fix it. Personally I just replaced mine with a Nest Hello which actually includes the wedge in the package. So far it works pretty well, my only gripe is that the “chime” on the phone app is pretty quiet. However it does have new features like face detection, package dropped off/picked up detection, etc.
Have had my Ring Pro since release day without issue here in Dallas, facing south. Mechanical chimes work fine.
Lucky you! I’m glad for you. I also had one since release day. Once the issue happened to me and I read how widespread the issue was, it was really frustrating to find out how Ring/Amazon were handling it.

I’m not trying to knock the Ring Pro at all, just wanted to warn.


striker55
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:27 am
Location: Katy, TX

Re: Ring Doorbell

#13

Post by striker55 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:26 pm

If you need to drill into brick get a better drill bit, the one in the box doesn't work very good.


philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 9633
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Ring Doorbell

#14

Post by philip964 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:43 pm

Doesn’t ring require a monthly payment?

User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 10216
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Ring Doorbell

#15

Post by carlson1 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:11 pm

philip964 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:43 pm
Doesn’t ring require a monthly payment?
Only if you want to record the videos. You can pay $100 fee for as many cameras as you want to install or about $35 for each camera.
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”