PG&E Cutting Power

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 4

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

Post by Grayling813 »

Lynyrd wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:15 pm
WildBill wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:06 pm I have a friend in California who just posted about this yesterday. She thinks that cutting power is a ruse so PG&E can raise their rates.
It used to be that they were a monopoly in certain parts of the state. I am not sure if that is still true.
California is forcing and mandating the power shut offs to mitigate fire danger. If you friend does not know this, they need to read up on why.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/deenergization/

The sad part is, there is a way to mitigate the fire danger without cutting everyone's power. And they won't do it. Cut the trees and clear the brush already.
Later they'll be wondering "we cut the power but there were still fires?"

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:40 pm Those tall dead pines are like Roman candles just waiting to be lit.
Standing deadwood is also a mighty crush-injury hazard when a stiff breeze fells either the entire tree, or just a large limb. When mentoring young troops, we point out these as things to avoid pitching a tent/building shelter near, or stringing a hammock, where one of these "Widowmakers" can ruin your night.
The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:40 pm But hippies gonna hippie
:smilelol5:
I'm loving this!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

WildBill wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:24 pm
WildBill wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:06 pm I have a friend in California who just posted about this yesterday. She thinks that cutting power is a ruse so PG&E can raise their rates.
It used to be that they were a monopoly in certain parts of the state. I am not sure if that is still true.
California is forcing and mandating the power shut offs to mitigate fire danger. If you friend does not know this, they need to read up on why.

The sad part is, there is a way to mitigate the fire danger without cutting everyone's power. And they won't do it. Cut the trees and clear the brush already.
And why won't they do it?
Because of the commies.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

strogg

Post by strogg »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Because of the commies.
The state was actually supposed to have regular controlled burns of thick areas, but much red tape and regulations are required to do so. For example, it can only be done at certain times of the year, under certain weather conditions, with the right funding and permitting, when unicorns are flying, etc. Because of that, it never happened. The trees in the mountainous regions have actually hit its all time high in density. With the lack of rain... well, you can do the math.

I like this quote from Scott Adams this morning.
I'm in a third world country now... We don't have electricity all day long... We have electricity sometimes. Sometimes we don't. Sometimes you can walk down the street and not step in human feces. But not every time. We're not some first world country here in California.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Saw an idiot on the news blaming the power company for not maintaining their lines.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Post by WildBill »

strogg wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:28 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Because of the commies.
The state was actually supposed to have regular controlled burns of thick areas, but much red tape and regulations are required to do so. For example, it can only be done at certain times of the year, under certain weather conditions, with the right funding and permitting, when unicorns are flying, etc. Because of that, it never happened. The trees in the mountainous regions have actually hit its all time high in density. With the lack of rain... well, you can do the math.

I like this quote from Scott Adams this morning.
I'm in a third world country now... We don't have electricity all day long... We have electricity sometimes. Sometimes we don't. Sometimes you can walk down the street and not step in human feces. But not every time. We're not some first world country here in California.
So they won't cut the trees because of the commies. So they cut the electricity instead of the trees. I don't understand - it must be the new math.
NRA Endowment Member

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

WTR wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:44 pm Saw an idiot on the news blaming the power company for not maintaining their lines.
They don’t... because it’s illegal to clear the ground, apparently. Technically (s)he’s right, it’s just not all their fault.

Also, that the website they set up to let people find out if they’d have power went down (and mostly stayed down) is evidence that they don’t know what they’re doing.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Dave2 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:14 am
WTR wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:44 pm Saw an idiot on the news blaming the power company for not maintaining their lines.
They don’t... because it’s illegal to clear the ground, apparently. Technically (s)he’s right, it’s just not all their fault.

Also, that the website they set up to let people find out if they’d have power went down (and mostly stayed down) is evidence that they don’t know what they’re doing.
This is another fine example of what leftist democrat policies do for you. Now the democrat clowns want to bring a mess like this to the rest of America. No thanks.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

https://thefederalist.com/2018/11/16/mi ... wildfires/
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

apostate

Post by apostate »

They should stop their whining and "do their fair share" to stop global warming (or is it cooling this week? I lost track) by not wasting energy on capitalist schemes like artificial lights, home appliances, HVAC, computers and internet.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TreyHouston »

The tree huggers probably don’t want the trees cut down! Cali is such a funny state.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Post by WildBill »

chasfm11 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:48 am

An interesting article. My friend does know about the power outage. They have said power will be off for at least two days, but it hasn't happened yet.
I don't see where it talks about the power issue. I thought that PG&E would have easements for their power lines and would be responsible for keeping them clean.
Maybe they are but the various laws restrict them from proper trimming and maintenance. I can hope, but i don't see the problem getting fixed in the near future.
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Quoting the article:
When explaining to Mother Jones why the California Wine Country fires were so bad last October, fire ecologist Sasha Berleman said, “We have 100 years of fire suppression that has led to this huge accumulation of fuel loads.”
This is exactly what I’ve been saying.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Lynyrd »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:12 am

Quoting the article:
When explaining to Mother Jones why the California Wine Country fires were so bad last October, fire ecologist Sasha Berleman said, “We have 100 years of fire suppression that has led to this huge accumulation of fuel loads.”
This is exactly what I’ve been saying.
:iagree:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “Off-Topic”