PG&E Cutting Power

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Grayling813
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

#16

Post by Grayling813 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:25 pm

Lynyrd wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:15 pm
WildBill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:06 pm
I have a friend in California who just posted about this yesterday. She thinks that cutting power is a ruse so PG&E can raise their rates.
It used to be that they were a monopoly in certain parts of the state. I am not sure if that is still true.
California is forcing and mandating the power shut offs to mitigate fire danger. If you friend does not know this, they need to read up on why.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/deenergization/

The sad part is, there is a way to mitigate the fire danger without cutting everyone's power. And they won't do it. Cut the trees and clear the brush already.
Later they'll be wondering "we cut the power but there were still fires?"
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
John F. Kennedy


Mike S
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:08 pm
Contact:

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

#17

Post by Mike S » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:43 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:40 pm
Those tall dead pines are like Roman candles just waiting to be lit.
Standing deadwood is also a mighty crush-injury hazard when a stiff breeze fells either the entire tree, or just a large limb. When mentoring young troops, we point out these as things to avoid pitching a tent/building shelter near, or stringing a hammock, where one of these "Widowmakers" can ruin your night.
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:40 pm
But hippies gonna hippie
:smilelol5:
I'm loving this!

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 25098
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

#18

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:40 pm

WildBill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:24 pm
Lynyrd wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:15 pm
WildBill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:06 pm
I have a friend in California who just posted about this yesterday. She thinks that cutting power is a ruse so PG&E can raise their rates.
It used to be that they were a monopoly in certain parts of the state. I am not sure if that is still true.
California is forcing and mandating the power shut offs to mitigate fire danger. If you friend does not know this, they need to read up on why.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/deenergization/

The sad part is, there is a way to mitigate the fire danger without cutting everyone's power. And they won't do it. Cut the trees and clear the brush already.
And why won't they do it?
Because of the commies.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


strogg
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 pm
Location: DFW (Denton County)

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

#19

Post by strogg » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:28 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:40 pm
WildBill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:24 pm
Lynyrd wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:15 pm
WildBill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:06 pm
I have a friend in California who just posted about this yesterday. She thinks that cutting power is a ruse so PG&E can raise their rates.
It used to be that they were a monopoly in certain parts of the state. I am not sure if that is still true.
California is forcing and mandating the power shut offs to mitigate fire danger. If you friend does not know this, they need to read up on why.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/deenergization/

The sad part is, there is a way to mitigate the fire danger without cutting everyone's power. And they won't do it. Cut the trees and clear the brush already.
And why won't they do it?
Because of the commies.
The state was actually supposed to have regular controlled burns of thick areas, but much red tape and regulations are required to do so. For example, it can only be done at certain times of the year, under certain weather conditions, with the right funding and permitting, when unicorns are flying, etc. Because of that, it never happened. The trees in the mountainous regions have actually hit its all time high in density. With the lack of rain... well, you can do the math.

I like this quote from Scott Adams this morning.
I'm in a third world country now... We don't have electricity all day long... We have electricity sometimes. Sometimes we don't. Sometimes you can walk down the street and not step in human feces. But not every time. We're not some first world country here in California.


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

#20

Post by WTR » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:44 pm

Saw an idiot on the news blaming the power company for not maintaining their lines.

User avatar

WildBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 16948
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Houston

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

#21

Post by WildBill » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:46 pm

strogg wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:28 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:40 pm
WildBill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:24 pm
Lynyrd wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:15 pm
WildBill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:06 pm
I have a friend in California who just posted about this yesterday. She thinks that cutting power is a ruse so PG&E can raise their rates.
It used to be that they were a monopoly in certain parts of the state. I am not sure if that is still true.
California is forcing and mandating the power shut offs to mitigate fire danger. If you friend does not know this, they need to read up on why.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/deenergization/

The sad part is, there is a way to mitigate the fire danger without cutting everyone's power. And they won't do it. Cut the trees and clear the brush already.
And why won't they do it?
Because of the commies.
The state was actually supposed to have regular controlled burns of thick areas, but much red tape and regulations are required to do so. For example, it can only be done at certain times of the year, under certain weather conditions, with the right funding and permitting, when unicorns are flying, etc. Because of that, it never happened. The trees in the mountainous regions have actually hit its all time high in density. With the lack of rain... well, you can do the math.

I like this quote from Scott Adams this morning.
I'm in a third world country now... We don't have electricity all day long... We have electricity sometimes. Sometimes we don't. Sometimes you can walk down the street and not step in human feces. But not every time. We're not some first world country here in California.
So they won't cut the trees because of the commies. So they cut the electricity instead of the trees. I don't understand - it must be the new math.
NRA Endowment Member

User avatar

AndyC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 10494
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Garland, TX

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

#22

Post by AndyC » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:41 pm

It's simple - commies love power (until theirs is cut off).
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club, Iraq
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners


Dave2
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:39 am
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

#23

Post by Dave2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:14 am

WTR wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:44 pm
Saw an idiot on the news blaming the power company for not maintaining their lines.
They don’t... because it’s illegal to clear the ground, apparently. Technically (s)he’s right, it’s just not all their fault.

Also, that the website they set up to let people find out if they’d have power went down (and mostly stayed down) is evidence that they don’t know what they’re doing.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 8255
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

#24

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:47 am

Dave2 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:14 am
WTR wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:44 pm
Saw an idiot on the news blaming the power company for not maintaining their lines.
They don’t... because it’s illegal to clear the ground, apparently. Technically (s)he’s right, it’s just not all their fault.

Also, that the website they set up to let people find out if they’d have power went down (and mostly stayed down) is evidence that they don’t know what they’re doing.
This is another fine example of what leftist democrat policies do for you. Now the democrat clowns want to bring a mess like this to the rest of America. No thanks.


chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3569
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

#25

Post by chasfm11 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:48 am

WildBill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:24 pm
Lynyrd wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:15 pm
WildBill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:06 pm
I have a friend in California who just posted about this yesterday. She thinks that cutting power is a ruse so PG&E can raise their rates.
It used to be that they were a monopoly in certain parts of the state. I am not sure if that is still true.
California is forcing and mandating the power shut offs to mitigate fire danger. If you friend does not know this, they need to read up on why.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/deenergization/

The sad part is, there is a way to mitigate the fire danger without cutting everyone's power. And they won't do it. Cut the trees and clear the brush already.
And why won't they do it?
https://thefederalist.com/2018/11/16/mi ... wildfires/
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero


apostate
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2336
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

#26

Post by apostate » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 am

They should stop their whining and "do their fair share" to stop global warming (or is it cooling this week? I lost track) by not wasting energy on capitalist schemes like artificial lights, home appliances, HVAC, computers and internet.


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

#27

Post by TreyHouston » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:38 am

The tree huggers probably don’t want the trees cut down! Cali is such a funny state.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

User avatar

WildBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 16948
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Houston

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

#28

Post by WildBill » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:13 am

chasfm11 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:48 am
WildBill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:24 pm
Lynyrd wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:15 pm
WildBill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:06 pm
I have a friend in California who just posted about this yesterday. She thinks that cutting power is a ruse so PG&E can raise their rates.
It used to be that they were a monopoly in certain parts of the state. I am not sure if that is still true.
California is forcing and mandating the power shut offs to mitigate fire danger. If you friend does not know this, they need to read up on why.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/deenergization/

The sad part is, there is a way to mitigate the fire danger without cutting everyone's power. And they won't do it. Cut the trees and clear the brush already.
And why won't they do it?
https://thefederalist.com/2018/11/16/mi ... wildfires/
An interesting article. My friend does know about the power outage. They have said power will be off for at least two days, but it hasn't happened yet.
I don't see where it talks about the power issue. I thought that PG&E would have easements for their power lines and would be responsible for keeping them clean.
Maybe they are but the various laws restrict them from proper trimming and maintenance. I can hope, but i don't see the problem getting fixed in the near future.
NRA Endowment Member

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 25098
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

#29

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:12 am

chasfm11 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:48 am
WildBill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:24 pm
Lynyrd wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:15 pm
WildBill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:06 pm
I have a friend in California who just posted about this yesterday. She thinks that cutting power is a ruse so PG&E can raise their rates.
It used to be that they were a monopoly in certain parts of the state. I am not sure if that is still true.
California is forcing and mandating the power shut offs to mitigate fire danger. If you friend does not know this, they need to read up on why.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/deenergization/

The sad part is, there is a way to mitigate the fire danger without cutting everyone's power. And they won't do it. Cut the trees and clear the brush already.
And why won't they do it?
https://thefederalist.com/2018/11/16/mi ... wildfires/
Quoting the article:
When explaining to Mother Jones why the California Wine Country fires were so bad last October, fire ecologist Sasha Berleman said, “We have 100 years of fire suppression that has led to this huge accumulation of fuel loads.”
This is exactly what I’ve been saying.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

Topic author
Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 1352
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: PG&E Cutting Power

#30

Post by Lynyrd » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:58 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:12 am
chasfm11 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:48 am
WildBill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:24 pm
Lynyrd wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:15 pm
WildBill wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:06 pm
I have a friend in California who just posted about this yesterday. She thinks that cutting power is a ruse so PG&E can raise their rates.
It used to be that they were a monopoly in certain parts of the state. I am not sure if that is still true.
California is forcing and mandating the power shut offs to mitigate fire danger. If you friend does not know this, they need to read up on why.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/deenergization/

The sad part is, there is a way to mitigate the fire danger without cutting everyone's power. And they won't do it. Cut the trees and clear the brush already.
And why won't they do it?
https://thefederalist.com/2018/11/16/mi ... wildfires/
Quoting the article:
When explaining to Mother Jones why the California Wine Country fires were so bad last October, fire ecologist Sasha Berleman said, “We have 100 years of fire suppression that has led to this huge accumulation of fuel loads.”
This is exactly what I’ve been saying.
:iagree:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”