Woman killed by FT Worth PD officer

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Woman killed by FT Worth PD officer

Post by The Annoyed Man »

philip964 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:03 pm https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/te ... e-n1065451

This is saying white officer, black victim.

Also says they have the officers body cam video and they will release it.

Says he was shining a light into her home through the window. When he saw her, he gave her orders, then shot.

Does not yet say where the gun was found.

It says that they attempted to render first aid.
Other reports say the gun was "found in the bedroom", which means nothing. Heck, I have a LOT of guns in my bedroom. That doesn’t mean I’m likely to be holding one in my hand at the very moment a badly trained officer happens to be looking in my bedroom window at 2:30 am......especially when I didn’t call them and am not expecting them to show up. But even if I WAS holding a gun, what the heck happened to police (a) identifying themselves, and (b) ordering the person to put the gun down?

I don’t believe that the cop in question was bloodthirsty or something like that, but he sure as heck didn’t follow training or protocol, and it ended up with another dead citizen who’d done nothing wrong. Shades of Amber Guyger! And like Anygun said..... but at least all the police got to go home safely to their families.

Jesus wept.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flintknapper »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:53 pm
philip964 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:03 pm https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/te ... e-n1065451

This is saying white officer, black victim.

Also says they have the officers body cam video and they will release it.

Says he was shining a light into her home through the window. When he saw her, he gave her orders, then shot.

Does not yet say where the gun was found.

It says that they attempted to render first aid.
Other reports say the gun was "found in the bedroom", which means nothing. Heck, I have a LOT of guns in my bedroom. That doesn’t mean I’m likely to be holding one in my hand at the very moment a badly trained officer happens to be looking in my bedroom window at 2:30 am......especially when I didn’t call them and am not expecting them to show up. But even if I WAS holding a gun, what the heck happened to police (a) identifying themselves, and (b) ordering the person to put the gun down?

I don’t believe that the cop in question was bloodthirsty or something like that, but he sure as heck didn’t follow training or protocol, and it ended up with another dead citizen who’d done nothing wrong. Shades of Amber Guyger! And like Anygun said..... but at least all the police got to go home safely to their families.

Jesus wept.
One of the troubling things about this incident is that the Officer mentioned NOTHING about a 'gun'. His vest cam recorded the entire thing and he said “Put your hands up! Show me your hands!” Suggesting he couldn't see if she had a weapon or not...or in his haste he simply shouted out the first command that came to mind. But in any case...he fired so quickly, that no one would have had time to process and comply with the command anyway.

It just seems that if you are THAT worried about going home at the end of your shift (and I want everyone to be OK, I really do) then you shouldn't be LEO, you're just too nervous. Unless some other information comes out, it sounds like the officers put themselves in a bad situation. An open door (prompting a welfare check) isn't automatically something 'bad' going down.

From what I could see...there was no immediate need to 'clear' the building, which is what they were working up to. Observe from a distance, IF a phone number can be ascertained....CALL. If not...slowly cover all exits and have someone go to the front door and announce themselves.

They snuck up on the residence expecting to find a crime, when you somewhat 'predetermine' a situation it can influence how you will act/react. This should have been a fairly simple and uneventful 'investigation'.
Last edited by flintknapper on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

Wonder if the woman was married? If so why didn't the husband fight back, it doesn't matter who shot any of my family members--> if I knew they were in the wrong it would be on like Donkey Kong!
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Good heavens... not this stuff again! I’m in the potential jury pool on this one, so I’ll stay quiet, but did they learn nothing from Jerry Waller in 2013?
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

On_Code

Post by On_Code »

This is really messed up.

Topic author
gtolbert09
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gtolbert09 »

USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 20

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

To my amatuer eyes, it sure looked like that cop just shot that lady before he had completed his sentence of show me your hands. What in the heck is the deal with sneaking around the outside of the house anyway. A wellness check means walk up to the dad gummed door and knock. Ask occupant if they are OK. There were zero signs of a break in.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WTR »

After watching the body cam footage,all I can say is that if one of us had committed the same act we would be in jail. We need to quit giving the police special treatment. If a proper “welfare “ check had been done, we would not have this situation. We need to quit treating the Police as a special group. I don’t care what the dictionary calls them, they are a Civilian Police Force, no more no less.

03Lightningrocks

WTR wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:54 pm After watching the body cam footage,all I can say is that if one of us had committed the same act we would be in jail. We need to quit giving the police special treatment. If a proper “welfare “ check had been done, we would not have this situation. We need to quit treating the Police as a special group. I don’t care what the dictionary calls them, they are a Civilian Police Force, no more no less.
I agree with much of what you say here but I believe something else is playing into it all. It sure seems like police officers are facing far more situations of violent resistance than they did even 10-15 years ago. They have good reason to be "jumpy" these days. The environment of the police being bad that has been created by leftists has contributed to this phenomenon of violent resistance. Especially in "da hood" areas around the country.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 4

Post by anygunanywhere »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:01 pm
WTR wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:54 pm After watching the body cam footage,all I can say is that if one of us had committed the same act we would be in jail. We need to quit giving the police special treatment. If a proper “welfare “ check had been done, we would not have this situation. We need to quit treating the Police as a special group. I don’t care what the dictionary calls them, they are a Civilian Police Force, no more no less.
I agree with much of what you say here but I believe something else is playing into it all. It sure seems like police officers are facing far more situations of violent resistance than they did even 10-15 years ago. They have good reason to be "jumpy" these days. The environment of the police being bad that has been created by leftists has contributed to this phenomenon of violent resistance. Especially in "da hood" areas around the country.
We as citizens also risk facing violent situations. Even though what you say may be true there is still no excuse for these events.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

03Lightningrocks

anygunanywhere wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:29 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:01 pm
We as citizens also risk facing violent situations. Even though what you say may be true there is still no excuse for these events.
I absolutely agree! None what so ever!

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

I don't understand this at all.....a welfare check should involve a car or two, a knock on the door, a "hey, is everything ok, your neighbor was concerned"....NOT 10 cars and a shooting.....the senior officer should be fired at a minimum, and the shooting officer should be put in jail for murder.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

There is no excuse for this. The cop needs to have the same fate. At a minimum he should be financially ruined for life and never be allowed to work in law enforcement again. This woman's life was taken in her own home and this officer did nothing to asses the situation, identify himself, use an ounce of common sense or even assume positive intent. Bad shoot...
Last edited by chamberc on Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Grumpy1993

Post by Grumpy1993 »

I would be interested to know how many people in Texas were killed in their own homes by police in the past 12 months versus killed by burglars.
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

philip964
Posts in topic: 10

Post by philip964 »

Grumpy1993 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:33 pm I would be interested to know how many people in Texas were killed in their own homes by police in the past 12 months versus killed by burglars.
Well twofor sure in Houston.

https://news.yahoo.com/show-hands-fort- ... 17991.html

It’s made the MSM.

Return to “Off-Topic”