FB & Google indexing firearm serials

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: FB & Google indexing firearm serials

Post by Beiruty »

Bring it on. They are asking for a revolution if they coming after them.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

To be fair, Google has been doing OCR in photos for a LONG time. Serial #s, etc. They blur out license plates, home addresses, stuff like that, because that was hot button way back. Other numbers, not so much.

To be honest, Google is probably more aligned to China than the US.

Maybe good news: they are in trouble:

TLDR: YouTube (Google) has been jacking with Tulsi "Crater Face" Gabbard's online presence.

Takeaway: You should have never posted a pic with a serial number, unless you don't care, in which case, go right ahead.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

This forum is as close as I get to social media!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

LDP wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:36 pm
bbhack wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:25 am Takeaway: You should have never posted a pic with a serial number, unless you don't care, in which case, go right ahead.
:iagree:

If you post pictures with any identifying information on FecesBook, Google, YT, Tweeter or anywhere else on them Ynterwebs, you should NOT be surprised if it comes back to bite you.
I value my privacy so FecesBook doesn't even know I exist. :mrgreen:
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

bbhack wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:25 am Takeaway: You should have never posted a pic with a serial number, unless you don't care, in which case, go right ahead.

If you post pictures with any identifying information on FecesBook, Google, YT, Tweeter or anywhere else on them Ynterwebs, you should NOT be surprised if it comes back to bite you.
that's what i was thinking. If you don't post pics of them, then they cant be searched or identified
kind of like the ding bats that post pics of deer they hunted and wonder why the game warden comes a calling because you did not kill a legal critter or fill out the harvest tag
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

powerboatr wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:19 pm

that's what i was thinking. If you don't post pics of them, then they cant be searched or identified
kind of like the ding bats that post pics of deer they hunted and wonder why the game warden comes a calling because you did not kill a legal critter or fill out the harvest tag
Yeah, I have been watching some of those game warden shows where they track down these folks and take their game while leaving them with a big old fat ticket. Lesson learned... note to self...Never post pictures on Facebook while bragging about my third buck of the season. :biggrinjester:

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

There was a thread a month or so back where someone asked about posting pictures of the serial number on your firearm. Most seemed to feel it was no real risk. Reading about this google indexing makes it a whole different game. I am now on the never post serial number side of things.

abom2

Post by abom2 »

For those platforms, I have an Index (err I mean digit) for them.:)

Return to “Off-Topic”