Random Question

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Random Question

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Apparently my county is planning to construct a road in a city next to the one I live in, and they need to obtain right of ways from various property owners. I know this because I got a letter in the mail telling me that they were exercising imminent domain and would be paying me fair market value for a strip of land. The problem is that I don't own the land they are talking about. The only land I do own is the lot that my house sits on, which is in the middle of a residential neighborhood and far from any roads that need expansion.

So I called the number on the letter and told them that they had the wrong person. They were insistent that I do, in fact, own the land. After a while I started to question whether I may have ever bought a lot that I forgot about (I was looking at developments in that town years ago, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility). Finally, I did some sleuthing online and discovered that there is another property owner in my county with my same name who lives in my same town, and in fact, lives at an address that was mentioned by the company trying to procure the right of way. The lot he owns is also in the town where this road expansion is occurring. I am now sure that he is the one they are looking for. By the way, it looks like they are giving him a good deal. It's a vacant lot with a tax appraised value of $1,300 and they are offering $2,600 for a strip of that land.

I was going to just drop it, and ignore any further calls (they are calling me almost daily trying to get me to sign their paper). But when looking up the rightful owner, I see that he is a disabled veteran, and I have no idea how important that amount of money might be to him. All I have is his address (an apartment), and no phone number or e-mail address.

I'm now tempted to stop by his place after work, introduce myself, and make sure he knows that someone wants part of his land. My wife thinks I'm crazy. What do y'all think I should do?

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Random Question

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:12 pm Apparently my county is planning to construct a road in a city next to the one I live in, and they need to obtain right of ways from various property owners. I know this because I got a letter in the mail telling me that they were exercising imminent domain and would be paying me fair market value for a strip of land. The problem is that I don't own the land they are talking about. The only land I do own is the lot that my house sits on, which is in the middle of a residential neighborhood and far from any roads that need expansion.

So I called the number on the letter and told them that they had the wrong person. They were insistent that I do, in fact, own the land. After a while I started to question whether I may have ever bought a lot that I forgot about (I was looking at developments in that town years ago, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility). Finally, I did some sleuthing online and discovered that there is another property owner in my county with my same name who lives in my same town, and in fact, lives at an address that was mentioned by the company trying to procure the right of way. The lot he owns is also in the town where this road expansion is occurring. I am now sure that he is the one they are looking for. By the way, it looks like they are giving him a good deal. It's a vacant lot with a tax appraised value of $1,300 and they are offering $2,600 for a strip of that land.

I was going to just drop it, and ignore any further calls (they are calling me almost daily trying to get me to sign their paper). But when looking up the rightful owner, I see that he is a disabled veteran, and I have no idea how important that amount of money might be to him. All I have is his address (an apartment), and no phone number or e-mail address.

I'm now tempted to stop by his place after work, introduce myself, and make sure he knows that someone wants part of his land. My wife thinks I'm crazy. What do y'all think I should do?
Find a way to inform him of what is happening and of the mistake being made. Ethics DEMAND that this error be corrected and that he be aware of everything you have deduced.

:txflag:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

OldCurlyWolf wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:30 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:12 pm Apparently my county is planning to construct a road in a city next to the one I live in, and they need to obtain right of ways from various property owners. I know this because I got a letter in the mail telling me that they were exercising imminent domain and would be paying me fair market value for a strip of land. The problem is that I don't own the land they are talking about. The only land I do own is the lot that my house sits on, which is in the middle of a residential neighborhood and far from any roads that need expansion.

Find a way to inform him of what is happening and of the mistake being made. Ethics DEMAND that this error be corrected and that he be aware of everything you have deduced.

:iagree:

I would make the effort to contact him. And I would contact my county commissioners office and provide them with info you have uncovered. Otherwise they may condemn the property, and take it with no compensation.

If that doesn’t work tell them you want 10x the amount offered!! :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Jusme wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:36 pm
OldCurlyWolf wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:30 pm

:iagree:

I would make the effort to contact him. And I would contact my county commissioners office and provide them with info you have uncovered. Otherwise they may condemn the property, and take it with no compensation.

If that doesn’t work tell them you want 10x the amount offered!! :biggrinjester:
Thanks all. That is consistent with my gut instinct on this.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

When they call you again, give them the information that you have found. I'm not real keen on showing up on anyone's doorstep unannounced. I'd be more likely to send him a certified letter with signature receipt. This can also be a good way of documenting a timeline of what has been going on in the unlikely case there are complications down the road. You might also contact the county commissioner for the property in question and let him know. While you don't have anything to worry about if you don't take the payment, you might be able to help out the owner if they condemn it.

I haven't had anything to this extent but there are three of us with the same name that live within several miles of each other out here west of Lubbock. I have had to contact them and/or the senders to let them know of the situation. All parties have been grateful even though I had no obligation. It's just the neighborly thing to do.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Return to “Off-Topic”