Driving safety to Las Cruces, NM

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rtschl
Posts in topic: 3

Driving safety to Las Cruces, NM

Post by rtschl »

I have to drive to Las Cruces, New Mexico from DFW this weekend. I'll have family with me and curious about the current safety of Interstate 10 along the border up through El Paso. I haven't been that far West in years. I'm wondering if I should go the Northern route and take 380 to Roswell and then down to Las Cruces. That would add about an hour to the drive.

Appreciate any current information members here have. I've already checked reciprocity and carry laws when I cross out of our great Republic of Texas. :txflag:
Ron
NRA Member

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Driving safety to Las Cruces, NM

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

I haven't heard of anything on 10 to worry about, just be cautious at rest stops.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

madwildcat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by madwildcat »

Over that way recently with no issues. I would echo OldCurlyWolf about the rest stops, but honestly, that's good advice anywhere.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Just went I-10 to and from El Paso about 2 weeks ago. No issues and traffic was no too bad. Most of the construction on the west side of El Paso is done. Coming back, remember the immigration check point near Sierra Blanca. Don't mess with those guys, just say US Citizen. Only issue I have ever had was with my AT&T phone which tries to charge me for international calls while on I-10 neat Sierra Blanca because sometimes the signal hits a tower in Mexico. They always fix it, but it requires me calling to complain.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

boxermoose

Post by boxermoose »

Your biggest issue will be potential bad weather on the stretch around Midland through Van Horn

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I just made a trip that was just a tad over 3,000 miles. I had downloaded an app on my phone called, “Crime and Place” it has been invaluable to me. I turn it on and it runs in the background. It will alert you when you are in a high crime area. I like to know what the area I am in when stopping for gas or food. If it alerts, “high crime area” I keep driving. I posted a link of what it looks like.
1E781091-D1EC-4336-A043-5CCC1B97039F.png

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

We have been on I-10 from Kerrville to Las Cruces many times, I never ever went on yellow alert. You should be fine.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Topic author
rtschl
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rtschl »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:38 pm I just made a trip that was just a tad over 3,000 miles. I had downloaded an app on my phone called, “Crime and Place” it has been invaluable to me. I turn it on and it runs in the background. It will alert you when you are in a high crime area. I like to know what the area I am in when stopping for gas or food. If it alerts, “high crime area” I keep driving. I posted a link of what it looks like.

1E781091-D1EC-4336-A043-5CCC1B97039F.png
I looked up that app and looks good, but they only have it on iOs, no android version. I'm going to look for one on Android alternative.
Ron
NRA Member

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

johncanfield wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:46 pm We have been on I-10 from Kerrville to Las Cruces many times, I never ever went on yellow alert. You should be fine.
I have operated On yellow and higher for the last 41 years. I hardly go to green at home.

"rlol" "rlol"
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I make that run on I-10 about twice a year. It used to be that Fort Stockton. was pretty much a ghost town, but it's now not a hard place to find a brightly lit stop to get some gas coffee or food in the middle of the night. Avoid getting gas in El Paso, they sell over priced low octane fuels. The biggest safety issue is the drive itself through boring Texas desert. Stay alert!! Especially at night!
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Everything said so far is spot on. The only construction you will see is currently the West Side of El Paso is torn up. It's not a long stretch so no big deal. If you want to avoid it take the Paisano highway 54 exit in El Paso and head north. Then take the Transmountain exit, head over the mountain and get back on I10. You will avoid all of the mess.

I make the drive from Houston to El Paso 4 or 5 times a year. 733 miles 11 hours. Although in a pinch I made the trip in 6.5 hours once. Cost me two speeding tickets.... :banghead: Junction Tx :banghead:
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

LDP wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:54 pm
Syntyr wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:25 am I make the drive from Houston to El Paso 4 or 5 times a year. 733 miles 11 hours. :banghead:
That's why we invented airplanes.
A flight ticket could sometimes run you even less than car fuel and most airlines will allow you to transport your defensive tool in a checked bag.
Or heck, buy your own plane and fly armed. :hurry:
I wish! Generally even advance purchase tickets in to El Paso are 300 plus bucks and I usually have tools and stuff because I am going back to help maintain my moms house. This summer was a chainsaw to whack up the two 60 foot trees in her back yard that toppled over. Need to convince her to move to Houston. Do think that will happen.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

LDP wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:54 pm
Syntyr wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:25 am I make the drive from Houston to El Paso 4 or 5 times a year. 733 miles 11 hours. :banghead:
That's why we invented airplanes.
A flight ticket could sometimes run you even less than car fuel and most airlines will allow you to transport your defensive tool in a checked bag.
Or heck, buy your own plane and fly armed. :hurry:
Meeting their schedule. Driving to the airport. Parking (plus fees) renting a vehicle all take time. Then you still have to drive to your final destination. Flying these days cost a lot more than just the ticket price and takes a lot more time than just the in air time.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Off-Topic”