TX: Mooney Aircraft in Kerrville shuts down

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

TX: Mooney Aircraft in Kerrville shuts down

Post by ELB »

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/moo ... urloughed/
Two weeks before Thanksgiving, Kerrville, Texas-based Mooney Aircraft has reportedly shut down and released its entire staff, the Kerrville Daily Times is reporting. The Times reported and we can confirm that Mooney’s voicemail system states that “At this time, all Mooney employees have been furloughed and therefore we cannot take your call.” We have been unable to reach any of Mooney’s staff or management, and we understand that the firm’s workforce was down to just 50 preceding the furlough.
Sad.
USAF 1982-2005

EastTexasRancher

Re: TX: Mooney Aircraft in Kerrville shuts down

Post by EastTexasRancher »

What a sad day for an iconic Texas company.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

OMG last night it was dean foods and now this
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Unfortunately, general aviation has just gotten too expensive for the average guy. When I first started flying in 1971, a nice Piper Cherokee 140 rented for $15 per hour wet and am older Cessna 150 rented for $5 per hour plus gas which was about .35 per gallon and running rich used about 8 gallons an hour so about $8 per hour. Mooney made a neat airplane, but not many could afford to buy a new one.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

eyedoc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by eyedoc »

AF-Odin wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:46 pm Unfortunately, general aviation has just gotten too expensive for the average guy. When I first started flying in 1971, a nice Piper Cherokee 140 rented for $15 per hour wet and am older Cessna 150 rented for $5 per hour plus gas which was about .35 per gallon and running rich used about 8 gallons an hour so about $8 per hour. Mooney made a neat airplane, but not many could afford to buy a new one.
Around 850K for their plane is a little steep for most people.

EL29jm

Post by EL29jm »

When I was young, my father had a Mooney and flew out of Houston. He was an AF pilot and retired. When I was young, I took the controls and flew the aircraft for a short period of time. I did this a couple of times. When I got older, dad could not understand the lunacy of me jumping out of aircraft at SpaceLand in League City (so long ago). Dad sold the aircraft when he no longer could pass his medical.

Sad to see the company leave, a Texas Company that will be missed.
(Grid - EL29jl - moved) NRA Lifetime member

eyedoc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by eyedoc »

EL29jm wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:01 pm When I was young, my father had a Mooney and flew out of Houston. He was an AF pilot and retired. When I was young, I took the controls and flew the aircraft for a short period of time. I did this a couple of times. When I got older, dad could not understand the lunacy of me jumping out of aircraft at SpaceLand in League City (so long ago). Dad sold the aircraft when he no longer could pass his medical.

Sad to see the company leave, a Texas Company that will be missed.
Back when I was a kid working my way through college, I worked on the twin otter you jumped out of. N927 I think.

Return to “Off-Topic”