Forum members dog poll

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How many members of this forum have dogs?

Do not have a dog
17%
Have one dog
37%
Have more than one dog
46%

Total votes: 112

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Forum members dog poll

Post by SewTexas »

2 corgis....I love the breed.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Currently we have 3. A golden retriever, a pit bull, and a put together dog (when she is in her summer cut she looks like a stuffed animal with legs and head sewn on). All are rescues.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

LDP wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:34 pm
C-dub wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:54 pm No more dogs because we want to start traveling on the bike a bit more and dogs are a little more difficult to accommodate. Especially when large.
See, now that's why God invented the sidecar!!!
(I REALLY need to make a sidecar for my best bud)
All kinds of set ups on the Goldwing forums for traveling with pets. One guy wanted to know how he could strap his GSD to the standard passenger seat right behind him.

It looks cool and all, but too dangerous to not have them in a crate designed for travel. IMHO Even more so on a motorcycle. I can only imagine the possibilities if there were an accident.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I have two pups, they are about a month apart in age. Both are both supposed to be Full blood German Shepherds, although I would be surprised if the smaller/younger of the two actually is. Every feature he has can be found on a GSD, but I have never seen them all together on the same GSD dog. The smaller of the two was the first I got, he was named Sig. A few weeks later I decided he needed a friend, and I got the larger pup whose name was originally a joke but it stuck and he is Sauer. Sauer just finished a battle with Parvo and Sig is fighting it now, but is getting better according to the vet. Been a long expensive week.

edit for Update: Puppy Sig lost his battle with Parvo this morning (11/18/19).
Last edited by G.A. Heath on Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

We have 4 fur kids. Ms Reba, Mr Vegas, MS Sprocket and Nala
IMG_7734.JPG
Plus a long term with grand pup Mr Dozer
Mr Dozer.jpg
And one foster pup Mr Sammy the goof ball looking for his furever home
Sammy the goof ball.jpg

Plus we spend many a day working with lost and found pets, microchip research, and chip implanting for our own group we.chip.pets@gmail.com and city and county shelters
Last edited by E.Marquez on Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Two intentional rescue mutts, plus a foster mutt who magically stayed.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

C-dub wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:54 pmNo more dogs because we want to start traveling on the bike a bit more and dogs are a little more difficult to accommodate. Especially when large. Our cats, other than all the feral ones my wife feeds, are all indoor only.
I started to post a link to Bushtec trailers but their website is down right now. If you have a touring bike, you can probably find a hitch from them and get a bike trailer. They make one just for bringing your four-legged friend along on your rides. It has a rear loading ramp and the lid opens to allow the dog in. When you lower the lid, it has a glass canopy (for lack of a better word) so the dog can stick his head up and see what is going on. The canopy also is open at the top so there is always a fresh air supply. I know dogs like their head in the wind, but the canopy's windshield effect helps protect their eyes from flying debris and insects.

And the fact that a trailer maker saw a big enough market for this tells me that bikers generally like dogs pretty much too, much like those of us in this forum.

Right now, I have no pets because I live in an apartment. I like larger dogs (prefer Alaskan Malemutes) and I think it would be wrong to keep them cooped up in an apartment. They need room to roam, even if it is just a backyard occasionally.
Steve Rothstein

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

srothstein wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:24 am Right now, I have no pets because I live in an apartment. I like larger dogs (prefer Alaskan Malemutes) and I think it would be wrong to keep them cooped up in an apartment. They need room to roam, even if it is just a backyard occasionally.
My experiences both personally and that though thousands of dog owners I know, meet and interact with online .. while its much more involved (IOW work) working dog breeds can be happy and healthy in apartments or small home settings. The Pet s human simply needs to have the time and willingness to go for walks, use a long lead and flay fetch, use local dog parks or safe spaces (yes I used that phrase here on purpose...LOL) Meeting other dog owners you will find those that will gladly allow you to come over for a doggy play date.

Husky's are big in Japan, and they make it work in their high rise dominated landscape .

As Im sure you know, working dog breeds will either be worked, mentally and physically by pet owners, or they will work them selves,,, escaping, destroying furniture, figuring out how to get to the favorite dog toy you put ontop of the china cabinet
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

srothstein wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:24 am
I started to post a link to Bushtec trailers but their website is down right now.
https://www.facebook.com/bushtec/

Of note, I sent a message to Bushtec about the web page and asked when it would be up.... they responded almost immediately "Thank you we were not aware. We will work on it."

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

C-dub wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:59 am
LDP wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:34 pm
C-dub wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:54 pm No more dogs because we want to start traveling on the bike a bit more and dogs are a little more difficult to accommodate. Especially when large.
See, now that's why God invented the sidecar!!!
(I REALLY need to make a sidecar for my best bud)
All kinds of set ups on the Goldwing forums for traveling with pets. One guy wanted to know how he could strap his GSD to the standard passenger seat right behind him.

It looks cool and all, but too dangerous to not have them in a crate designed for travel. IMHO Even more so on a motorcycle. I can only imagine the possibilities if there were an accident.
I was in Daytona a couple years back for bike week. Road my Harley all the way there and back. Had a week there to recuperate. Anyway, while there I saw the dude from Moonshiners(Josh) cruising down highway 1 with his dog sitting on what looked to be the edge of the seat and gas tank. It was his scrangie looking mutt and is a small dog but I could not help but think about how risky it was to do that.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Thanks for all the links for dog trailer stuff. Those are really cool. I do have a touring bike, big Goldwing with a Bushtec hitch already.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Off-Topic”