Americans Own 423M guns

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Americans Own 423M guns

Post by carlson1 »

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/1 ... -in-sales/
... The report also noted that in a 25 year period between 1993 and 2017, the violent crime rate has dropped by 48.6 percent while firearms-related accidents have decreased by 68 percent.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Americans Own 423M guns

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Dumocraps love sighting fake polls to support more gun restrictions on legal citizens. I find it very hard to believe that with 423 million guns in the country, there is a majority in favor of gun restrictions.

One item mentioned in the article I found interesting and useful in a debate with anti gun nuts.
While O’Rourke characterized weapons like AR-15s, AK-47s and other semi-automatic rifles are “instruments of terror,” recent FBI statistics found individuals are more likely to be killed by blunt force weapons than by rifles.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Good for US!

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

I'm looking to help us hit 424M by Christmas! :lol:

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

flechero wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:56 pm I'm looking to help us hit 424M by Christmas! :lol:
I am kind of proud to be a major part of the 8.1 billion rounds of ammo number. I could supply a regiment with ammo. Haha

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

I believe there are alot more than that.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

DynamicDan wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:11 am I believe there are alot more than that.
:iagree: - A whole lot more than that. :patriot:
Ron
NRA Member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Low estimates.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

My only problem is storage space and security for the babies (aka as firearms)
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

flechero

Post by flechero »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:11 pm
flechero wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:56 pm I'm looking to help us hit 424M by Christmas! :lol:
I am kind of proud to be a major part of the 8.1 billion rounds of ammo number. I could supply a regiment with ammo. Haha
Ha! Me too, although by that number I'm still statistically irrelevant. :lol:

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

The 8.1 billion round figure is also misleading.

That''s the number of rounds manufactured last year, and doesn't count stored rounds, which of course are impossible to count. There's a whole lot more ammo out there, and a lot more guns as well.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Excaliber wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:50 am The 8.1 billion round figure is also misleading.

That''s the number of rounds manufactured last year, and doesn't count stored rounds, which of course are impossible to count. There's a whole lot more ammo out there, and a lot more guns as well.
Great point... there are probably 10X those numbers stored in closets, bunkers and holes in the ground! :lol:

ELB

Post by ELB »

flechero wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:02 am ...

Great point... there are probably 10X those numbers stored in closets, bunkers and holes in the ground! :lol:
and don't forget lakes and ponds, along with their corresponding firearms... ;-)
USAF 1982-2005

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Excaliber wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:50 am The 8.1 billion round figure is also misleading.

That's the number of rounds manufactured last year, and doesn't count stored rounds, which of course are impossible to count. There's a whole lot more ammo out there, and a lot more guns as well.
Yep! And the firearms sales are all based on the BATF's Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Reports that FFLs fill out. The BATF Data & Statistics website is where you can look at the actual data that they publish.

So it's likely way under-reported from a practical perspective for both guns and ammo. How would they count people who reload...which is going to be a large segment of those of those who own the most guns? If I were to cast my own lead bullets and reload .45 cases, I could represent 500% or more of the per-capita ammo estimate without any of it ever showing up in retail sales at all. And you're right about stored ammo. I was so afraid of availability early in the Obama administration that I bought a slew of stuff in the handful of calibers I shoot. I still have a fair amount of that stored away and chip into it gradually for range days.

And the AFMER form only asks about what's actually classified as a gun, so I assume the Form 4473 fire-control part. My early Christmas present to myself was a nice new .223 Wylde barrel and the stuff to go with it to build a new upper. So that won't count as a firearm. As soon as I take off work for the holidays, that's my first day project. ;-)

And, yeah. I'm out of space in the safe, too. Man I hate to think about a new safe and putting it in the garage, but I may have to. Big expense. And if our buddy Bloomberg starts looking like the D'crat candidate, I'd expect a fresh surge of firearm price increases and ammo shortages again leading up to the election. Reminds me that I need to stock up on .22 CCI Mini-Mags anyway. Went long enough when I couldn't get those reasonably if at all. And to the point of tracking ammo commerce, there's just a tiny bit of difference in me buying a thousand rounds of .22LR and a thousand .338 Lapua Magnum...as in like $70 for the Mini-Mags and $5,000 for the .338.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

The Democrats must be coconuts if they think they can pry 423m firearms from us. We have no duty to obey an unconstitutional law.

Return to “Off-Topic”