Proper Exersize

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 7

Proper Exersize

Post by longtooth »

A year ago about right now my Dr told me and I quote: "your too fat." I already knew that. So I got started. I lost nearly 50 lbs. Have to confess I feel better but here is my problem.
I hate the "Proper Exercise." Don't mind walking to the kids house, Neighbors for a visit, (one is just over 1/2 mile) walking anywhere that needs to be.
I hate walking just to walk. Treadmill, track, don't matter.
Don't care for lifting weights.
Don't mind at all hard work. Dragging brush, building something, (son and I had a great time building shed for my tractor last August) road work on the tractor, cutting bushes,
I take it like medicine.
Anyone else do it out of necessity and duty but hate it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Proper Exersize

Post by oljames3 »

Exercise. Yep. I find it easy to come up with excuses to avoid the gym.

I've been in pretty good physical shape for all of my adult life because our Uncle put me through a Physical Fitness Test every 6 months. Yeah for that.

Now that I'm retired from the Army, I'm struggling to maintain my "fighting weight." I find that I must exercise more to see any weight loss. Old age is not for the faint of heart, but it beats the alternative.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

lama

Post by lama »

Have you tried audiobooks?

I find that getting lost in a story makes workouts (particularly those like walking that are not exceedingly strenuous) go much more quickly/pleasantly. I do not have the time or patients to read good books but I find I really enjoy books while I walk, mow, paint and such.

If you are a member of the library you can likely download an app on your phone and get a decent selection to try out the idea for "free".

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'm on the same page @longtooth
Give me something physical to do and I can do it. But routine exercise has been hard to enjoy.

About a year ago I ran into some problems with my back. Caused some real pain, pretty awful.

I discovered that pain is motivating. :lol:

Lost 20+ pounds and did PT exercises several times every day. I'm down to a routine now where I'm in the gym 2x/week and exercise at home every day. Mostly stretches and core. Pain is WAY down but not zero. No meds. Avoided surgery so far.
Every time I think about skipping a gym day I remember the pain and get in the car.

I do like taking walks with my wife. We try to walk every day, even if it's just a loop or two around the neighborhood.

I joined the local Citizen Volunteer squad at our PD.... In the warmer weather I'm planning to do bicycle patrols.
Exercise with a purpose feels a lot less like exercise. :thumbs2:

If anyone here has any ideas for routine things to do that don't drone on like "exercise", I'm all ears.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Yes sir gentlemen. As above I do feel a LOT better. Walking with wife, grandkids that live down the road 1/4 of mile, walking with daughter when she had surgery and needed to walk during recovery. great, Great, GREAT.
BUT:
I also hardly ever enjoy setting down to eat. I know I had to confess the sin of gluttony at the beginning but I stay hungry all the time now at 180-182. I eat 3 pieces of fruit every day. I like fruit, apples, oranges especially. pears OK, bananas plenty good, but cant just enjoy a good fish supper, red beans and rice, cornbread.... I eat one meal like that and literally gain 2 lbs. I get vacation time & We go to Round Rock for a 3 day week end with kids and I come home a solid 5 lb gained.
No peanut butter or :banghead: Gain a pound and have to get it off next day.
I eat a lot of boiled eggs, wheat bread only, the fruit, tuna fish, sardines, Herring, salad, I do like all that but never really satisfied. Hungry all the time.

even so I am committed. Not going back to 240 at all.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

lama wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:55 am Have you tried audiobooks?

I find that getting lost in a story makes workouts (particularly those like walking that are not exceedingly strenuous) go much more quickly/pleasantly. I do not have the time or patients to read good books but I find I really enjoy books while I walk, mow, paint and such.

If you are a member of the library you can likely download an app on your phone and get a decent selection to try out the idea for "free".
Never have liked to do audio anything. I like to visit w/ the wife, kids, and GrandOnes walking but audio and walk, :nono: :nono: not for me.
Bottom line for me is Exercise is my medicine, volume at the table my enemy,
I do OK when I am out working. Never think of it.

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I don't cheat either with all the bad stuff that gets others. The conversation with the Dr went like this.

Dr. - You can do it. Just cut out sweets.
Me - Doc I don't eat sweets. We don't do pie, cake at night. There is not a package of cookies in the house.
Well, cut out soda pop.
I don't drink them.
Quit sugar in tea.
Don't even make it unless kids or company comes. At our house we drink water and coffee.
Humm, what is your problem then???
Volume Doc I enjoy eating good food. Not deserts just more good food. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Couple of things I have lived by for several years.
1. Since cancer - "Sugar is no friend of cancer." I did not eat sweets before but totally shunned them after.
2. If it is white leave it alone. They don't call it white death for nothing. No biscuits, gravy, whit bread, home made bread any more at all.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

longtooth wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:24 am I eat a lot of boiled eggs, wheat bread only, the fruit, tuna fish, sardines, Herring, salad, I do like all that but never really satisfied. Hungry all the time.

We keep boiled eggs in the house all the time. I'll take out the yolks and fill the space with Sriracha (I like hot stuff).

Have you considered IF?
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/in ... ting-guide
I find it easier to reduce calories by skipping a meal entirely, and eating a satisfying meal later in the day, rather than eating less at every meal.
There are also some other benefits to fasting, in addition to weight loss. (see links below)

For me, I find it easy to skip breakfast, eat a good lunch and a healthy, late dinner, then not eat from 9PM to Noon (except for morning coffee (black, no sugar)).
Some good reading, HERE (warning: language), HERE and HERE.
And a recent other-gun-forum thread HERE.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by K-Texas »

Sounds like a great idea. For me, its music. I even walk faster when I'm listening. The entertainment from either would distract you from boredom. Hopefully you don't have to deal with car traffic in getting to a walking track. Our closest park that has a 2/3 mile walking track is almost exactly 1/2 mile from my house. The only problems I've ever encountered were going to, and coming from the park. Nothing wrong with carrying a staff, either. I don't go anywhere without my tactical folding knife with me. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

striker55
Posts in topic: 4

Post by striker55 »

I'm retired, my doctor wanted me to get off the couch. I purchased a "fat tire bicycle", just clocked 6,000 miles. Blood pressure is good and keeping my weight down. I ride at least 5 miles a day, have had the bike 44 months. It's better on your knees than walking. I've met a lot of nice neighbor's while riding and I do have a riding buddy.

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

Most diet and exercise programs don't work unless you quit watching tv. If you turn off the tv then you will find more preductive things to do.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Ed4032 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:21 pm Most diet and exercise programs don't work unless you quit watching tv. If you turn off the tv then you will find more preductive things to do.
Yes sir. Agree completely on diets...
On the TV. I don't watch TV hardly at all. I will watch 1/2 of a Monday night football game before bed. Last night I watched Drew Breeze get his new record. Was in bed and asleep before the festivities were over and game resumed. I do figure Saints won but don't know for sure or the score.
I am outside working in the day as above. After dark a lot of time in the shop. Some here every day. I just hate the formal exercise. I can say it is getting some better as I see it help my arthritis, range of motion, I just have to watch what I eat too close. I am always hungry. :banghead: :banghead:

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:45 am
longtooth wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:24 am I eat a lot of boiled eggs, wheat bread only, the fruit, tuna fish, sardines, Herring, salad, I do like all that but never really satisfied. Hungry all the time.

We keep boiled eggs in the house all the time. I'll take out the yolks and fill the space with Sriracha (I like hot stuff).

Have you considered IF?
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/in ... ting-guide
I find it easier to reduce calories by skipping a meal entirely, and eating a satisfying meal later in the day, rather than eating less at every meal.
There are also some other benefits to fasting, in addition to weight loss. (see links below)

For me, I find it easy to skip breakfast, eat a good lunch and a healthy, late dinner, then not eat from 9PM to Noon (except for morning coffee (black, no sugar)).
Some good reading, HERE (warning: language), HERE and HERE.
And a recent other-gun-forum thread HERE.
Yes on skipping. I did not eat breakfast til bout 9:30 this morning. Was satisfied for a few hours. Back in now. Hungry and ate an apple. We will eat supper here shortly and I know better than anything after 5:00 or just as a "bedtime snack" for sure. I used to think popcorn was OK. Even that has a lot of calories. I will be hungry again by bout 8:00 or 8:30. After I go to sleep I am not hungry when I get up in the night for the bathroom.
OH well it will have to get better. Only been a year now. Some of yall been at it 3 and more.

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by K-Texas »

longtooth wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:29 am

Never have liked to do audio anything. I like to visit w/ the wife, kids, and GrandOnes walking but audio and walk, :nono: :nono: not for me.
Somehow I missed this post. The fat tire biking thing sounds pretty cool. I like they way they look, anyway. Plus it's probably what I'd need. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

K-Texas wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:08 pm
longtooth wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:29 am

Somehow I missed this post. The fat tire biking thing sounds pretty cool. I like they way they look, anyway. Plus it's probably what I'd need. ;-)
All that rolling mass is definitely a workout to get going. I've ridden a couple, I'll stick with my mountain bike thankyouverymuch :shock:
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Return to “Off-Topic”