Starwars: the rise of Skywalker

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Starwars: the rise of Skywalker

Post by philip964 »

Saw it today, thought it was great one of the best in a long time.

No spoilers below.

Lesbian kiss was nothing. Way over blown.

Plenty of action. Plenty to satisfy all Starwars lovers.

New creatures, some new characters and plenty of old ones.

Good ending.

Still looking for a map or secret plans.

Some surprises.

All in all as good as the first three - 4,5 and 6.

Critics who panned it, don’t like Starwars.

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Starwars: the rise of Skywalker

Post by flechero »

We saw it yesterday as well. We liked it. I thought a few things were overdone for drama, but wife and son disagreed with me. :lol:

I hadn't heard about the lesbian kiss ahead of time so it was a surprise to me... the kiss itself wasn't too bad, they cut away from it after a second or so. But it was unnecessary and added nothing to the story. There was no heterosexual kissing, outside the story. So, what bothered me is that it was obviously put in as a statement. :roll:

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Went to see it today with the family. Was pretty good, Rogue One still my favorite.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

AndyC wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:23 pm
flechero wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:53 am So, what bothered me is that it was obviously put in as a statement. :roll:
Of course - but seems to me it's a quick 'n' simple way to shut the SJWs up.
I’m going to see it again. Really haven’t done that with a Starwars movie in a long while.

I missed a lot, as a lot happens. Wish I could shoot from the hip as good as they do. I need to connect with the force I guess.

Mom I know is very anti gun. Boys were not allowed to have toy guns, see Westerns or cop shows, drank real fancy no hormone milk etc. Dad convinced the Mom that Starwars was ok because they were not guns, they were “blasters” and “light sabers”.
Those boys loved Starwars.

Ok this is a spoiler below.

If you were hoping for a big Disney interracial kiss, it didn’t happen. Clearly Finn loves Rae, but Rae has not found her true love yet. Poe and Finn are both in the running, but Rae’s life is way too complicated what with saving the universe and all to settle down. Interesting both Poe and Finn have potential other love interests. I see way more Starwars movies. And yeah we want to see a lot more of the Mandalorian chick, besides those eyes.

dlh

Post by dlh »

philip964 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:48 pm
flechero wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:53 am So, what bothered me is that it was obviously put in as a statement. :roll:
I’m going to see it again. Really haven’t done that with a Starwars movie in a long while.

I missed a lot, as a lot happens. Wish I could shoot from the hip as good as they do. I need to connect with the force I guess.

Mom I know is very anti gun. Boys were not allowed to have toy guns, see Westerns or cop shows, drank real fancy no hormone milk etc. Dad convinced the Mom that Starwars was ok because they were not guns, they were “blasters” and “light sabers”.

The Empire was bent on taking weapons from the resistance.Beto would be proud!

If you were hoping for a big Disney interracial kiss, it didn’t happen. Clearly Finn loves Rae, but Rae has not found her true love yet. Poe and Finn are both in the running, but Rae’s life is way too complicated what with saving the universe and all to settle down. Interesting both Poe and Finn have potential other love interests. I see way more Starwars movies. And yeah we want to see a lot more of the Mandalorian chick, besides those eyes.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

dlh

Post by dlh »

dlh wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:26 pm
philip964 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:48 pm

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

The Force is strong with this room

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Tired of SJW propaganda. Not going to spend money on it. Not even redbox.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

dlh

Post by dlh »

Take Down Sicko wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:06 pm The Force is strong with this room
:cheers2:

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Abrams confirmed this in an interview.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Just saw it in IMAX. Loved the movie. JJ did the series right in the finale.
Psalm 91:2

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I still think that Rogue One was the best SW movie thus far, but Episode 8 was just abysmal. There is a youtuber named Vito who does a phenomenal break down of this issue, but it's probably unwise to post a link to it here as he isn't exactly PG-13.

Using jumps to light speed as weapons makes the entire universe appear foolish. That's saying a lot for a universe in which space travel is common but the human interfaces come from the 1970s while some folks get magical powers because George Lucas doesn't know what mitochondria are. If jumps to sublight speed wreak havoc in a narrow cone in front of the jumping vessel, then all space combat (including the orbital bombardment role of the Death Star and Star Killer) belongs to jump-capable missiles. The role of blasters/photon torpedoes/ et c. is limited to things that aren't worth a missile.

My biggest issue with 8, apart from the fact that the narrative fell apart in a swamp of SJW messaging, was the unbelievable lack of story arcs for the main characters, Kylo Ren, Finn and Rey. Episodes 7 and 8 devoted a lot of time to all of them, gave them back stories that could've been fleshed out to make really cool characters, and then just muddles around with ALL of them.

There is no reason why Rey is able to use the force with any facility when every other practitioner from the several thousand year history of the universe requires years of training under a master. Kylo Ren is an extremely weak bad guy: if he can't wipe the floor with a malnourished teenager from the boonies after years of training with a lightsaber, then I have to doubt Luke's story about why he left the Jedi Academy.....maybe he just wasn't cutting the mustard. Snoke always seemed like Discount-Rack Palpatine, and obviously isn't a great teacher. From what I've read about Episode 9 (didn't intend to see it), JJ Abrams made a good call with going back to What Works. Finn's story has a chance to be amazing, but then just muddles around to the point that he seems like a replaceable grunt in the Resistance/Rebel Alliance. Rose's sister's heroic sacrifice seems like one of the most compelling parts of the new trilogy, except for just one thing: the battle took place in SPACE, way outside of the gravitational radius of the planet, and to top it off, the bombs don't even "fall" toward the planet. It kind of seems like the backstory for "Stalag 17" got lost and found its way into Star Wars if William Holden's heroic tail gunner were an asian lady.

Speaking of which:

The "First Order/Empire" is apparently a new Axis composed of Germany, Britain and Japan while the Resistance/Rebel Alliance is basically Space 'Murica, equipped with lasers and the Force and no longer hamstrung by pansy "allies" (which is apparently okay because now we have Our Own Diversity). This strikes me as bizarre because for all of the SJW posturing, in some ways 7 and 8 come off as "Eleanor Roosevelt Leads Us To Victory Over The Hun, The Japs and The Red Coats!". If Episode 8 had ended with multi-racial/gender-fluid Audie Murphy's lightsaber running out of juice in the middle of a battle against aliens wearing Pickelhauben and then a voiceover in a Transatlanic Accent sternly asking "Did you met your production quota today?", the whole thing would've made more sense.

Given these reviews, I think I'll check this one out.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

MaduroBU wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:53 pm I still think that Rogue One was the best SW movie thus far, but Episode 8 was just abysmal. There is a youtuber named Vito who does a phenomenal break down of this issue, but it's probably unwise to post a link to it here as he isn't exactly PG-13.

Using jumps to light speed as weapons makes the entire universe appear foolish. That's saying a lot for a universe in which space travel is common but the human interfaces come from the 1970s while some folks get magical powers because George Lucas doesn't know what mitochondria are. If jumps to sublight speed wreak havoc in a narrow cone in front of the jumping vessel, then all space combat (including the orbital bombardment role of the Death Star and Star Killer) belongs to jump-capable missiles. The role of blasters/photon torpedoes/ et c. is limited to things that aren't worth a missile.

My biggest issue with 8, apart from the fact that the narrative fell apart in a swamp of SJW messaging, was the unbelievable lack of story arcs for the main characters, Kylo Ren, Finn and Rey. Episodes 7 and 8 devoted a lot of time to all of them, gave them back stories that could've been fleshed out to make really cool characters, and then just muddles around with ALL of them.

There is no reason why Rey is able to use the force with any facility when every other practitioner from the several thousand year history of the universe requires years of training under a master. Kylo Ren is an extremely weak bad guy: if he can't wipe the floor with a malnourished teenager from the boonies after years of training with a lightsaber, then I have to doubt Luke's story about why he left the Jedi Academy.....maybe he just wasn't cutting the mustard. Snoke always seemed like Discount-Rack Palpatine, and obviously isn't a great teacher. From what I've read about Episode 9 (didn't intend to see it), JJ Abrams made a good call with going back to What Works. Finn's story has a chance to be amazing, but then just muddles around to the point that he seems like a replaceable grunt in the Resistance/Rebel Alliance. Rose's sister's heroic sacrifice seems like one of the most compelling parts of the new trilogy, except for just one thing: the battle took place in SPACE, way outside of the gravitational radius of the planet, and to top it off, the bombs don't even "fall" toward the planet. It kind of seems like the backstory for "Stalag 17" got lost and found its way into Star Wars if William Holden's heroic tail gunner were an asian lady.

Speaking of which:

The "First Order/Empire" is apparently a new Axis composed of Germany, Britain and Japan while the Resistance/Rebel Alliance is basically Space 'Murica, equipped with lasers and the Force and no longer hamstrung by pansy "allies" (which is apparently okay because now we have Our Own Diversity). This strikes me as bizarre because for all of the SJW posturing, in some ways 7 and 8 come off as "Eleanor Roosevelt Leads Us To Victory Over The Hun, The Japs and The Red Coats!". If Episode 8 had ended with multi-racial/gender-fluid Audie Murphy's lightsaber running out of juice in the middle of a battle against aliens wearing Pickelhauben and then a voiceover in a Transatlanic Accent sternly asking "Did you met your production quota today?", the whole thing would've made more sense.

Given these reviews, I think I'll check this one out.
7 was very good up until the point they went to the temple/bar place. It deteriorated from there, except for where Rae learned to use the force. 8 was not that good, only good parts were the sexual tension between Rae and Kylo Ren and their fight with Snoke. 9 was much better.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

<---------spoiler alet--------->

Darth Vader is Luke's father...

The last good Star Wars was episode 6.

Don't even get meeeesaaa started on Jar Jar!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Return to “Off-Topic”