"The First Conspiracy" was against the 1st Prez. Execution followed.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

"The First Conspiracy" was against the 1st Prez. Execution followed.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/398 ... conspiracy

https://bookmarks.reviews/reviews/the-f ... ashington/

The above 2 links are to a non-fiction book entitled "The First Conspiracy". Its author is Brad Meltzer. It details the plot to kill George Washington.

I found the book review initially in the "Costco Connection" magazine, January 2020 edition. But I could not easily find any way to find a link to that, in order to publish it in this thread. So the above 2 links will have to do.

IIRC, the above 2 links do not state how the plot ended. Quoted from Costco's review: "When the plot was found out, Washington rounded up those responsible, gathered 20,000 troops in an open field, and hanged one of the main co-conspirators in front of everyone. Washington brought down the hammer-- and yet, few of us have ever heard the story."

The governor of NYS was part of the plot, having royalist loyalties. During the Revolution, there were many conflicts within the American populace as to whether to support the Revolution, or remain good British subjects.

One commentary I have read elsewhere stated that Boston and Philadelphia had majorities favoring separation from England while greater NYC had many more who wanted to remain British subjects.

Trump's being harassed today by lefties, but even our 1st president had devoted enemies.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

philip964

Re: "The First Conspiracy" was against the 1st Prez. Execution followed.

Post by philip964 »

My child brought home the book Johnny Tremain, Disney made a Movie in the ‘50’s by the same name.

It was small and I read it in a couple of days for fun.

I pretty much decided I might have had a tough time deciding between rebel and loyalist.

Risking everything for a small tax on tea.

They were brave men. I can see many wanting to remain with the King.

What the book has that was not as important as in the movie was the importance of his rifle.

Johnny has a really tough time getting a rifle.

It has a lot of lessons for today.

And no, I had no idea about an attempted coup against Washington.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

philip964 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:19 pm
We are taxed a lot more today. Our Forefathers would have been fighting a long time ago.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

jason812 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:16 pm
philip964 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:19 pm
We are taxed a lot more today. Our Forefathers would have been fighting a long time ago.
Our ForeFathers had a George Washington to follow against a standing enemy Army in front of them.
We still have to fight at the ballot box, on the street corners, in our churches, (study the history of the Black Robed Regiment)
There is no conventional Army to fight yet.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Another really good read is Rise To Rebellion by Jeff Shaara. Technically historical fiction, but the history is 100% accurate. The author takes poetic license to create the day-to-day lives of our forefathers. It begins March 5, 1770 and continues to the Declaration of Independence. From both the British and Colonial perspectives concerning the events that occurred.

Just knowing what Benjamin Franklin did as our emissary to the Court of St. James alone is worth the read. I used to wonder what military credentials George Washington before being appointed as General of the Continental Army. He earned a great deal of admiration from the British themselves while serving the king during the French and Indian Wars, rising to the rank of colonel before it ended.

Pretty darn good for a colonist without any connections to the British aristocracy.;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Return to “Off-Topic”