Corona Virus (COVID-19)( SARS-CoV-2) from China: Its going to be bad.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

EastTexasRancher
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Corona Virus (2019-nCoV) from China: Its going to be bad.

Post by EastTexasRancher »

https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/coro ... te-817752/

I posted my "suspicions" earlier today, and along comes this article....

Read it, and breathe...

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 73

Post by RoyGBiv »

EastTexasRancher wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:36 pm https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/coro ... te-817752/

Read it, and breathe...
Thanks for posting that...

Assuming the Korea numbers are correct, this would be the first bit of reporting I could feel good about reliable data.
Hard to trust China and Iran on this. US, thankfully, doesn't have enough data yet, or testing kits, apparently. :banghead:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mrvmax »

Here’s an interesting comparison:

EastTexasRancher
Posts in topic: 4

Post by EastTexasRancher »

But that chart lacks context

Ruark
Posts in topic: 32

Post by Ruark »

This is all hypothetical, of course. In any case, the coronavirus is not to be taken lightly. Yes, we have about 60,000 deaths from flu this season, but remember there were at least 42,000,000 cases, and that's just the ones reported. That's a fatality rate of 1/100th of 1 percent. And with flu, we have vaccines, treatments, seasonality, knowledge of how its transmitted, etc. Most of the deaths are in elderly or otherwise compromised individuals.

In the case of coronavirus, fatality rates are anywhere from 1% to 15%, and we have no vaccine, no treatment, and a latency period of up to 4 weeks. Let's not get too complacent.
-Ruark

strogg
Posts in topic: 25

Post by strogg »

RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:49 pm
EastTexasRancher wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:36 pm https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/coro ... te-817752/

Read it, and breathe...
Thanks for posting that...

Assuming the Korea numbers are correct, this would be the first bit of reporting I could feel good about reliable data.
Hard to trust China and Iran on this. US, thankfully, doesn't have enough data yet, or testing kits, apparently. :banghead:
Those numbers definitely fall in line with what I've been piecing together in my head. It's not all that bad. It definitely pales in comparison to the Spanish Flu outbreak a hundred years ago. Not to mention that there are probably many people who are suffering from this new virus now and don't know it because the symptoms are pretty much the same as the flu. They'll get better, thinking it was H3N2 and not COVID, and they won't end up falling into the statistical trap that is the mainstream media.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Excaliber »

mrvmax wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:04 pm
suthdj wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:54 am What's funny is the some of same people that carry a gun "incase" something happens that poopoo preparing for a virus that has a greater risk of killing them then getting in a gun fight. Go figure.
What is funny is that people allow the media hype to motivate them. I’m not telling anybody to not prepare, I’m telling people they are allowing hysteria to drive their actions. The facts is that your chances of getting this are low, but unless you have a weakened immune system you’ll most likely survive it if you do get it - just like when people get the flu. If you want to prepare so that you don’t get this then stay away from people that have it and wash your hands. It’s crazy that this has been blown out of proportion enough to drive the stock market down and to send the price of N95 masks (which probably won’t prevent most people from getting it anyway) skyrocketing. What’s really making this worse is overreacting to it.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... tment.html
While numbers from governments that lie all the time and hide bad news are all over the place, it's noteworthy that China shut down a huge portion of their economically critical industrial base for over a month and has been incinerating far more bodies than the deaths they've been reporting. It's also noteworthy that medical personnel are wearing high level biohazard suits while treating patients. They don't do that for our seasonal flu.

I agree that panic is both unwarranted and unhelpful. However, preparedness to remain isolated from the public for up to 90 days in the event the virus hits hard in your area would be a really good idea - sorta like carrying a gun in case you might need it.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 105

Post by Paladin »

Honestly I think there are a lot of uncertainties and bad info out there.

It's important NOT to panic for sure. Fear of a thing is usually worse than an thing. Most people will be just fine. Even if someone gets the virus, they will have a fever and cough and most likely recover.

Clinical characteristics of 2019 novel coronavirus infection in China
The 2019-nCoV epidemic spreads rapidly by human-to-human transmission. Fever (87.9%) and cough (67.7%) were the most common symptoms. Diarrhea is uncommon. The median incubation period was 3.0 days (range, 0 to 24.0 days).
The Novel Coronavirus

Those that get sick are sick for less than 2 weeks:
We also found that the time from initial hospital admittance to discharge is 11.5 days (Fig. 1E; CI: 8.0 to 17.3 days) and the time from initial hospital admittance to death is 11.2 days (Fig. 1F; CI: 8.7 to 14.9 days).
If you are over 70 I would take precautions.

From what I am seeing, testing has been both minimal and ineffective (US has only tested 472 people total. From what I've seen only way to reliably test for Corona Virus is a stool sample (which I'm not sure the CDC is even doing). Doctors are requesting tests and the CDC is denying testing. People on flights from hot spots like Korea are not being checked for temperatures.

This whole thing is just another lesson that we have to be prepared for things in life. Be psychologically self reliant. Pray. Live a healthy lifestyle and self prepare for likely events advocated at Ready.gov are important.

Get basic medical training like Bloodborne pathogens, CPR/AED, Stop the Bleed, and First aid.

Even if Coronavirus never affects you, having a self reliant mindset & lifestyle will prepare you for future challenges in life.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 571

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/adviser-irans-su ... 36907.html

Adviser to Iran's supreme leader has died. This makes 3 of Iran's leaders who have Covid-19.

But Iran only has 978 cases in the whole country per the John Hopkins website https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

joe817
Posts in topic: 7

Post by joe817 »

Ugghhhh. Coronavirus patient released in San Antonio went to North Star Mall before returning to quarantine:

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/ ... 098649.php

Related local article containing press conference from governor for anyone interested.

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/g ... s-patient/
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 571

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/texa ... ronavirus/

Gov. Abbott demands stricter protocols after release of patient who tested weakly positive, who then visited a shopping mall checked into a motel and then got sick.

6 dead suddenly in US. All from Washington State.

6/87= 6.89% mortality rate. Near as I can tell nurse from hospital with first US case got infected and went to a nursing home.

Apparently being over 70 is not a good thing with this virus.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Liberty »

Can the government enforce legal restrictions on a citizen's movements? Demanding quarantine, without trial without a court order, Sounds an awful lot like red flag orders and unconstitutional.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Liberty wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:14 pm Can the government enforce legal restrictions on a citizen's movements? Demanding quarantine, without trial without a court order, Sounds an awful lot like red flag orders and unconstitutional.
Somehow it will be tied back to interstate commerce to justify the actions of the Government...

strogg
Posts in topic: 25

Post by strogg »

Liberty wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:14 pm Can the government enforce legal restrictions on a citizen's movements? Demanding quarantine, without trial without a court order, Sounds an awful lot like red flag orders and unconstitutional.
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/aboutlaw ... ation.html

suthdj
Posts in topic: 5

Post by suthdj »

strogg wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:42 pm
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/aboutlaw ... ation.html
Papa tiger called it
"The federal government derives its authority for isolation and quarantine from the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution"
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Return to “Off-Topic”