Corona Virus (COVID-19)( SARS-CoV-2) from China: Its going to be bad.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 205

Re: Corona Virus (COVID-19) from China: Its going to be bad.

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Rafe wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:02 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:43 pm Utah Jazz Center Rudy Gobert has tested positive for the Coronavirus

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... oronavirus
The NBA suspends the season until further notice; not just fans at the games, suspends the games themselves. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/288 ... oronavirus
So is baseball next?

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Vol Texan »

Yeah, it just got real for much of the world, with Tom Hanks being confirmed positive.

Here's my prediction: Since most people recover, Mr. Hanks has a pretty decent chance of doing so himself. If, and when, he does, it will have a calming effect. Everyone is talking about the infection rates, the deaths, etc. but when a high profile (arguably very much loved) person recovers, it will give hope to the world.

I hope he and his wife both recover soon.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 73

Post by RoyGBiv »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:53 pm Yep, like I said many times in this thread. Extreme Over Reaction.
I'm finding it difficult to express in polite words how incorrect you are. If we don't take necessary measures to stop the transmission of this virus it will be catastrophic.

1. We still can't get tested, so, nobody knows whether they're infected until they get sick. At that point, they've been infectious for 5+ days, spreading the virus into the community. This will be the second biggest failure of our response to this pandemic.

2. If we don't flatten the curve, hospitals will be overwhelmed by the ~10% of victims that will require hospital care. The stories you're reading about doctors choosing who to treat and who to let die in Italy are not fake news. Italy has excellent healthcare, they just don't have the capacity. The US is not in any better position.

3. We must stop all gatherings immediately. Not just of 100 or more, or 50 or more. All. Stay home except for groceries. It's the only way to slow the spread. Failing to do so will be the biggest failure of our response to this pandemic.

4. We must stop blowing this off. Now.

I'll stop now. This is bad for my blood pressure.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 205

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:52 am

Yeah, you want to be careful about that. There is a good chance the active ingredients in your BP medicine come from China. Word has it they may cut us off.

I am not saying folks should not take precautions but when one considers the level of deaths with this compared to the flu, we are over reacting to think this is the end of life as we know it. For now all the consequences, such as the market dropping, are due to the reaction to coronovirus, not the virus itself.

I disagree about health care in Italy. No country has a system that compares to ours. If you look at the news you will see that all of the things you mentioned are in place already. Some Cities are even forbidding the gathering of more than 200 people. They are also reporting that many people may already have it and are not experiencing more than the symptoms of a cold.

If you are over 60 and have other health issues, I would definitely hold up at home. Like I mentioned earlier, they are saying that warm weather will slow or even stop this thing. Meanwhile the health care community is already coming up with treatments to help when one does have a serious case. We will survive this.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Excaliber »

Italy is preparing to implement disaster procedures and allocate ICU resources to patients based on age to try to save those most likely to survive.

Those with serious disease and above whatever age threshold they use will be on their own:

Article here

This is what medical professionals must default to when overwhelming need collides with limited resources. It's called triage.

If we are not successful at flattening the curve in the US soon, you're likely to see that implemented here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

flechero
Posts in topic: 14

Post by flechero »

Seems like we need to bite the bullet and implement a 3 week shelter in place to let those infected show symptoms and get to hospital and to stop the spread- it's the unknowns of transmission (and apparent ease of transmission) that seem to be so problematic.

At that point we [hopefully] could plug the leaks and manage it, I think.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 6

Post by SewTexas »

Both of my kid's colleges have extended their spring break, my daughter's has said they are going to on-line for the following two weeks, UT is "recommending" on-line. The instructors are now going to have to figure out if they can do that and make their case if they can't. This going to get interesting for those in lab and art classes. My daughter is just glad she got her internship hours in last semester, this is her final semester, she's hoping this doesn't mess up her graduation.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 571

Post by philip964 »

A listener called in to the Michael Berry radio show. She owns an air B and B in Austin. She rented to a couple for a month and a half who had just been married. He was going to receive training in Austin. They live in another part of the US. They arrived in Austin from their honeymoon in Northern Italy a week or so ago. The Company told him not to come in for training for two weeks. They both got sick. Went to the ER and told them about the trip to Italy. ER tested them for the flu. They did not test them for the Coronavirus as they did not have many test kits and did not want to "waste" them since their symptoms were somewhat mild. I presume they told them to self quarantine, but they haven't and have been doing the Austin thing.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 120

Post by Grayling813 »

It's not even as bad as the flu....or maybe it is.....
https://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.co ... -2020.html
As the U.S. battles to limit the spread of the highly contagious new coronavirus, the number of health care workers ordered to self-quarantine because of potential exposure to an infected patient is rising at an exponential pace. In Vacaville, California, alone, one case — the first documented instance of community transmission in the U.S. — left more than 200 hospital workers under quarantine and unable to work for weeks.

Across California, dozens more health care workers have been ordered home because of possible contagion in response to more than 80 confirmed cases as of Sunday afternoon. In Kirkland, Washington, more than a quarter of the city’s fire department was quarantined after exposure to a handful of infected patients at the Life Care Center nursing home.

With the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases mushrooming by the day, a quarantine response of this magnitude would quickly leave the health care system short-staffed and overwhelmed.
Maybe it is...maybe it isn't...but rest assured some of what is coming will require that you be prepared to shelter in place and face hard facts about various governments' reaction to the declared pandemic.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Liberty »

Let me see if I understand how this works. Suppose a guy gets HIV in the 80s. Turns into full blown AIDS when the guy is in the 90's and is pretty sick. He catches the Corona Virus, so the media reports that another is added to the Corona Death statistics.

But what really kills such a person? HIV, Old age or Corona?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Ruark
Posts in topic: 32

Post by Ruark »

My wife is an expert in infectious diseases - she used to lecture on it in a medical school - she said there's something very strange about how explosively this virus is spreading. There's no explanation for it. She said this morning she didn't want to sound like a silly conspiracy theorist, but "there's something very, very strange about the way this virus is behaving."

Meanwhile, we're getting nervous about avoiding infection. Take going to the barber shop or hairdresser, for example. Remember, the hairdresser could have it for 2 or more weeks without even knowing it, and she's standing right there breathing on you for half an hour. Seen any hairdressers wearing masks?

How about in the supermarkets where people give out free samples of little food items? Who's been breathing over all that food? What about the kid that breathes all over your food when he/she sacks it?

Do they disinfect the card readers at the checkout counter? The pump handles at the gas stations? What happens when medical clinics (like the one she works in) run out of hand sanitizer?

The "what about" list is getting longer and longer and longer.
Last edited by Ruark on Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Ruark

Rafe
Posts in topic: 79

Post by Rafe »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:06 pm
Rafe wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:02 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:43 pm Utah Jazz Center Rudy Gobert has tested positive for the Coronavirus

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... oronavirus
The NBA suspends the season until further notice; not just fans at the games, suspends the games themselves. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/288 ... oronavirus
So is baseball next?
You had to say that. :biggrinjester:

MLB suspends spring training games and delays opening day of regular season by two weeks. Will be reevaluated later to push it further if needed.
https://abc13.com/sports/mlb-delays-sta ... -/6007023/
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by NotRPB »

"Social Distancing" is a new term I heard on TV News. It means staying away from people far enough so their sneeze/cough doesn't get you. I have shopping to do, places to go ,,, I researched "Pet Skunk" and learned that owning a pet skunk is legal in 17 States, but not Texas ... there goes my plan for an "Emotional Support Animal" which would take care of "Social Distancing" .... Guess I'll have to shop at Bass Pro Shops for skunk urine human scent masking liquid and a $200 Skunk fur hat like the coonskin hats of olden Davy Crockett days.... see you at the HamFest. :lol:
The States that legalized owning skunks (which are good pets) have places to buy them which are more domesticated/tamed... like domesticated cats versus the wildcats.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 73

Post by RoyGBiv »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:30 am
RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:52 am

Yeah, you want to be careful about that. There is a good chance the active ingredients in your BP medicine come from China. Word has it they may cut us off.
I've been stockpiling for a while... I have a 5 months supply. But I agree that we've been derelict in managing supply chain exposure on lots of critical things..
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Off-Topic”