Corona Virus (COVID-19)( SARS-CoV-2) from China: Its going to be bad.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

srothstein
Posts in topic: 40

Re: Corona Virus (COVID-19)( SARS-CoV-2) from China: Its going to be bad.

Post by srothstein »

I have some problems with all of the hoopla and push from the administration. I freely admit to not trusting anything the federal government says, no matter who is in office, along with not trusting the media. I tend to believe in science but I need the data to analyze (I am very into data analysis).

I cannot say if there is an advantage to the shot or not. I got mine (both doses of the Pfizer vaccine) because I saw no real disadvantage to it and saw an immediate benefit (I got to go back to my office instead of working from home). In the recent statistics from some countries, the percentage of currently ill that have been vaccinated track closely with the percentage of people in that citizenry that have been vaccinated. This is not surprising to me for various reasons, but it does imply that the vaccine is not as effective against this variant as was claimed. The two problems are that the data from the US does not appear to match other countries in this area. Either we actually got a different vaccine or (and I think this is more likely) we are using a different process to determine who has COVID now. We may have different testing standards or definitions of a positive result. Without the definitions and processes involved, any comparison of statistics is not valid.

I know that most of the masks worn are totally useless. This is a combination of knowing what is involved in surviving a contaminated environment (ask any vet about MOPP IV gear) and knowledge of how filters work. If the holes in the fabric weave are larger than the virus cell, it stops nothing. Most of the media admits that wearing a mask is more to protect others from your spreading the virus than protecting yourself. This is based on the cloth masks not having a good seal against your skin so you inhale are from around the mask and not just through it, plus the hole size thing. Of course, if you do not have COVID (and note, I did not say whether you knew or not - just that you were actually negative) you cannot possibly spread it to anyone.

And this gets us to the point I want to emphasize the most. What is the infection rate in the population? What percentage of our population actually has COVID? They never actually tell us this because it really is the important number. But we can approximate it by taking the cumulative number of cases and subtracting the "recovered" and the deaths. Without debating definitions again, this leaves us with about 5.5 million people in the US who are currently active cases. With our population estimated at 331 million, that means that there are about 1.6% of the people in the US with active COVID cases. That means that 98.4% of the people being told to wear masks are wasting their time.

Further proof that this is a vast overreaction is that the CDC current standard says even vaccinated people should wear masks when there is a transmission level above a certain point. They try to hide what that point is and just say if you are in a substantial of high transmission rate area, then show the areas they consider those to be. But the definition is out there. A substantial transmission rate is 50 new cases per week per 100,000 people. That means they want us to go back to wearing masks if there are 0.05% of the people getting sick IN A WEEK.

So, COVID-19 is a real disease. I believe this to be true. It can be a serious illness. I also believe this is true. More people die from COVID than from the FLU, so it is worse than the flu. I believe this is true but I do not believe it is as bad as the media and government claim. If a person has a heart attack while he has COVID, and he might have recovered from the heart attack if he did not have COVID, did he die from the heart problem or the COVID. That is certainly a debatable point to consider. Masks are almost totally useless against COVID. Lock-downs are effective but have been shown to have ruined the US economy to a point where it will take years to recover if we ever do. That means that the government and the media have been over-hyping COVID, IMO, for a different reason than safety. I believe it is an attempt to control the people and force a radical change in our national philosophy of government.

I do not care if you wear a mask or not. I do not care if you get the shot or not. I urge you to take whatever precautions you believe are justified and necessary. I do want you to be as safe s you feel important. But I am dead set against anyone forcing me to take precautions I do not think are necessary. I know that freedom is a dangerous thing and I might make a bad decision. I insist that I am an adult and can make that decision either way. I value freedom highly.
Steve Rothstein

cirus
Posts in topic: 13

Post by cirus »

srothstein wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:54 pm I have some problems with all of the hoopla and push from the administration. I freely admit to not trusting anything the federal government says, no matter who is in office, along with not trusting the media. I tend to believe in science but I need the data to analyze (I am very into data analysis).

I cannot say if there is an advantage to the shot or not. I got mine (both doses of the Pfizer vaccine) because I saw no real disadvantage to it and saw an immediate benefit (I got to go back to my office instead of working from home). In the recent statistics from some countries, the percentage of currently ill that have been vaccinated track closely with the percentage of people in that citizenry that have been vaccinated. This is not surprising to me for various reasons, but it does imply that the vaccine is not as effective against this variant as was claimed. The two problems are that the data from the US does not appear to match other countries in this area. Either we actually got a different vaccine or (and I think this is more likely) we are using a different process to determine who has COVID now. We may have different testing standards or definitions of a positive result. Without the definitions and processes involved, any comparison of statistics is not valid.

I know that most of the masks worn are totally useless. This is a combination of knowing what is involved in surviving a contaminated environment (ask any vet about MOPP IV gear) and knowledge of how filters work. If the holes in the fabric weave are larger than the virus cell, it stops nothing. Most of the media admits that wearing a mask is more to protect others from your spreading the virus than protecting yourself. This is based on the cloth masks not having a good seal against your skin so you inhale are from around the mask and not just through it, plus the hole size thing. Of course, if you do not have COVID (and note, I did not say whether you knew or not - just that you were actually negative) you cannot possibly spread it to anyone.

And this gets us to the point I want to emphasize the most. What is the infection rate in the population? What percentage of our population actually has COVID? They never actually tell us this because it really is the important number. But we can approximate it by taking the cumulative number of cases and subtracting the "recovered" and the deaths. Without debating definitions again, this leaves us with about 5.5 million people in the US who are currently active cases. With our population estimated at 331 million, that means that there are about 1.6% of the people in the US with active COVID cases. That means that 98.4% of the people being told to wear masks are wasting their time.

Further proof that this is a vast overreaction is that the CDC current standard says even vaccinated people should wear masks when there is a transmission level above a certain point. They try to hide what that point is and just say if you are in a substantial of high transmission rate area, then show the areas they consider those to be. But the definition is out there. A substantial transmission rate is 50 new cases per week per 100,000 people. That means they want us to go back to wearing masks if there are 0.05% of the people getting sick IN A WEEK.

So, COVID-19 is a real disease. I believe this to be true. It can be a serious illness. I also believe this is true. More people die from COVID than from the FLU, so it is worse than the flu. I believe this is true but I do not believe it is as bad as the media and government claim. If a person has a heart attack while he has COVID, and he might have recovered from the heart attack if he did not have COVID, did he die from the heart problem or the COVID. That is certainly a debatable point to consider. Masks are almost totally useless against COVID. Lock-downs are effective but have been shown to have ruined the US economy to a point where it will take years to recover if we ever do. That means that the government and the media have been over-hyping COVID, IMO, for a different reason than safety. I believe it is an attempt to control the people and force a radical change in our national philosophy of government.

I do not care if you wear a mask or not. I do not care if you get the shot or not. I urge you to take whatever precautions you believe are justified and necessary. I do want you to be as safe s you feel important. But I am dead set against anyone forcing me to take precautions I do not think are necessary. I know that freedom is a dangerous thing and I might make a bad decision. I insist that I am an adult and can make that decision either way. I value freedom highly.
:iagree: Well put.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 73

Post by RoyGBiv »

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Paladin
Posts in topic: 105

Post by Paladin »

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Yes well said srothstein.

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 18

Post by powerboatr »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:48 pm Yes well said srothstein.
DITTO
facts are facts
good points about if our vaccine is same as other countries and how do we measure rates versus the rest of the world
i suspect we have been less on true facts than we know.

in my household at least one of us has a medical condition that would prohibit a vaccine for an autoimmune disease/illness/virus etc

having an auto immune disease puts one in grave danger from anything that could exacerbate the condition. Maybe in the future the science (REAL) will give a go ahead based on real evidence

so the other family member (me) may or may not get the vaccine in future.
by rule of the last 20 plus years dealing with the auto immune disease, we are pretty much hermits and only visit with a core group of folks in our immediate orbit. not to say we stay home, we just dont hang out with large groups of unknowns.

i also cry fowl on the cdc stating the covid could live 72 hrs on a surface, this was proved to be BULL muffins by a lab that tests cleaners for airports
they found if the surface is dry , then the virus died rather fast, as in mere hours. AND STEAM mops and steam devices killed it instantly and also provided a clean sanitized surface without the use of harsh chemicals

then i ask if we as citizens are not required to carry ID, unless we are carrying. Then how can the government require proof of vaccinated cards?
does this not slap democrats in the face over ID?
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

extremist
Posts in topic: 3

Post by extremist »

Couple of interesting things, first this:
https://alt-market.us/why-are-globalist ... ion-rates/

Then there's this showcasing America's Finest Facists:
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

extremist wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:37 pm Couple of interesting things, first this:
https://alt-market.us/why-are-globalist ... ion-rates/

Then there's this showcasing America's Finest Facists:
but wouldn't jailing non vaccinated in close proximity be in stark contrast to cdc guidelines?
why are the "border crossers" being released into america with no testing or vaccinations? actually very few are tested. Does covid not attack border jumpers? does it magically die crossing the 100 yard dead zone before fence or border wall?

i spoke to a long time friend that is still on active duty in Fl. they (the navy) are freaking the hell out
vaccines were not mandatory, but most active duty did get it because of peer pressure and the greater good.
but now north florida spikes are causing the navy to go back to pandemic stages of mask, no eating at restaurants, shutting down all training flights and ship deployments except those deemed absolute and essential to national security . trust me, we used to deploy for the sake of going to sea all the time to just burn fuel and visit islands and the like.

sailors that got vaccinated, ( over 90%, got jabbed, in fl) are now questioning why they got the jab in the first place if the folks are still getting sick, masks are mandatory again, restrictions are imposed, missing work and or some; a very very few get hospitalized. Morale is in the toilet, folks are not re-enlisting and officers are resigning.
not to mention the complete screw up of the family unit, when dad or mom is exposed and the whole house gets a 14 day lock down

now xping biden is taunting a mandatory active duty vaccination, and you can imagine the old timers that got screwed with the vaccine cocktail for dessert storm one, are now asking and saying enough of the bull of being a test dummy for gov.

its going to be a very trying time ahead again for our brave warriors, and i fear they will get the short end again.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

cirus
Posts in topic: 13

Post by cirus »

My son was set to leave for the Air Force back in early January but he changed his mind 2 days before. Thank God. He's headed to Texas Tech on the 13th and I'm happy after all this crap the last few months.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 571

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/china-placed-mil ... 49020.html

China has been hit with Delta.

Home Depot announced mask requirement today.

https://apnews.com/article/health-coron ... abc4c550f1

Lindsey Graham first US Senator with Covid Delta. Fully Vaccinated. Has flu like symptoms.

I’m thinking Vaccine maybe only helps lessen your symptoms with Delta. Way to many “breakthroughs” for a vaccine that is 95% effective.

Obama is going to hold a super spreader event on Martha’s Vineyard I think this weekend. I wonder whose invited, I hope the Clinton’s.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 73

Post by RoyGBiv »

philip964 wrote: Obama is going to hold a super spreader event on Martha’s Vineyard I think this weekend. I wonder whose invited, I hope the Clinton’s.
That was LOL funny. Thanks :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/p ... s-vineyard

Peal Jam will not be playing at Obama super spreader event.

Xiden is not going.

A friend’s son went to college a week or so ago. He was fully vaccinated. He got Covid shortly thereafter, was sick 20 hours with flu like symptoms and is now fine.

Sounds like vaccine does not stop delta variant. May lessen symptoms.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:48 am
philip964 wrote: Obama is going to hold a super spreader event on Martha’s Vineyard I think this weekend. I wonder whose invited, I hope the Clinton’s.
That was LOL funny. Thanks :lol:
really laughable is the news reported 500 guests and over 200 SERVANTS , yes SERVANTS, not serving staff or waiters...but SERVANTS
i laughed pretty hard about that

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Obama party canceled.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://thecovidblog.com/2021/08/03/mic ... ays-later/

65 year old Braveheart actor dies 6 days after Pfizer booster.

This is a covid blog, if there is a need, the internet finds a solution.

Return to “Off-Topic”