Another Walmart Shooting

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Another Walmart Shooting

Post by KC5AV »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:05 pm The Hickory Creek (Denton County) WM has just installed some interesting gates inside the store. I guess they don't open OUT, so that shoplifters can't exit with carts full of stolen goods. They DO allow you to enter the store with your cart. Has anyone else seen these in their local WM's?

SIA
Longview and Marshall have both installed those.
NRA lifetime member

longtooth
Posts in topic: 5

Post by longtooth »

I have to laugh when I hear some people don't carry because they don't go anywhere dangerous. Heck, if you go to your bank, WM, C-store, or gas station, believe us, you are going someplace that is potentially dangerous.
SIA

For sure. thus my signature line.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

longtooth wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:58 pm I have to laugh when I hear some people don't carry because they don't go anywhere dangerous. Heck, if you go to your bank, WM, C-store, or gas station, believe us, you are going someplace that is potentially dangerous.
SIA

If I thought the place was dangerous, I would avoid going there to begin with. I carry because I don't know when an area that may not LOOK dangerous, might have people who wish to do me harm.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:05 pm The Hickory Creek (Denton County) WM has just installed some interesting gates inside the store. I guess they don't open OUT, so that shoplifters can't exit with carts full of stolen goods. They DO allow you to enter the store with your cart. Has anyone else seen these in their local WM's?

Not lately, but many times Hickory Creek PD will park a "ghost car" outside WM's front door. It's a HCPD marked unit, but it is empty - just parked there to scare off thieves.

A female friend of mine had her wallet stolen in this store some years ago. Two guys engaged her in conversation. One of them lifted her wallet from out of her purse, which was in the cart, under a lot of shirts. She alerted the WM staff right away, who were dopes and didn't call 911 right away, with some lame excuse for their inaction.

I have to laugh when I hear some people don't carry because they don't go anywhere dangerous. Heck, if you go to your bank, WM, C-store, or gas station, believe us, you are going someplace that is potentially dangerous.

SIA
Yep, I've seen such gates in Austin.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

longtooth wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:58 pm I have to laugh when I hear some people don't carry because they don't go anywhere dangerous. Heck, if you go to your bank, WM, C-store, or gas station, believe us, you are going someplace that is potentially dangerous.
SIA

The standard I settled on is not to go places I think pose predictable risk without compelling reasons.

I carry in all the non-risky places I go because I want them to stay non-risky, at least for peaceful citizens.

Plus, in the friendlier establishments I frequent, the proprietor and half the other customers will be carrying. I like to fit in. :biggrinjester:

Topic author
03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

treadlightly wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:30 am
SIA

The standard I settled on is not to go places I think pose predictable risk without compelling reasons.

I carry in all the non-risky places I go because I want them to stay non-risky, at least for peaceful citizens.

Plus, in the friendlier establishments I frequent, the proprietor and half the other customers will be carrying. I like to fit in. :biggrinjester:
Like you I tend to avoid places that are obviously higher risk. But you are right, one never knows where trouble can appear out of nowhere. One can be stopping at that local convenience store they have bought morning coffee at for the last 10 years when some clown decides that this is the day and place they want to do an armed robbery. We just never truly know.

Mel

Post by Mel »

Interesting! If the gates don't open "out" how do people with "paid for" goods get out?
Certainly they don't check your receipt.
There should be some sort of Constitutional Amendment to prevent unreasonable search without probably cause!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Mel wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 pm
Interesting! If the gates don't open "out" how do people with "paid for" goods get out?
Certainly they don't check your receipt.
There should be some sort of Constitutional Amendment to prevent unreasonable search without probably cause!
so imagine going in the doors to the store, the end of the check out lanes and aisle to the customer service, bathrooms, etc. are in line with the new gates. the gates open into the rest of the store (check out lines are on either side of them). you would have to leave through the checkout lanes. the exits are not gated.

here is a picture from a news site:

https://www.news-gazette.com/business/r ... 8c87c.html
NRA Life Member

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Geekwithagun:

Thank you for clarifying the issue with the photos in the link.

I find it interesting that of the 3 Illinois stores mentioned, WM chose to install the gates at the store with the lowest number of thefts.
That seems counter intuitive.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “Off-Topic”