Dallas Ordering New Tough Restrictions

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ELB
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Dallas Ordering New Tough Restrictions

Post by ELB »

Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins is now the subject of a Request for Opinion to the Texas Attorney Genera:
https://www2.texasattorneygeneral.gov/o ... 0347KP.pdf

State Representative Dan Flynn notes that the Legislature has reserved to itself regulation of pawnshops, except for matters delegated to the Commissioner of the Office of Consumer Credit. He believes Mr. Jenkins' emergency order runs afoul of that and Dallas County is attempting to enforce the emergency order against pawnshops. Rep Flynn is asking the AG's opinion on this.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ELB »

The AG weighs in:

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/op ... &utm_term=

KP-0306
Ken Paxton
Categories
Business and Commerce , Business Regulation , County Officers - Specific , Commissioner/County Judge , Governor

Summary

The Dallas County Judge does not have authority to regulate the operation of pawnshops during the COVID-19 disaster declaration.
USAF 1982-2005

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 5

Post by chasfm11 »

On my Facebook feed last night was a copy of the letter from Judge Jenkins which said that since Gov. Abbott had not listed lawyers on the list of businesses that could open, law offices could not. Of course, the wags posting it and commenting on it suggested that the letter was retaliation for a lawyer having gotten the hair salon owner so quickly through the Texas Supreme Court.

So unless Dallas and Dallas county have stopped arresting people (humor intended), the order seems to lean toward denying people their right to representation. I realize that lawyers don't need offices to get people out of jail but paralegals are used to do the leg work for legal actions and if the assistants cannot be in the offices to do that research, cases can be impacted.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

chasfm11 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:53 am On my Facebook feed last night was a copy of the letter from Judge Jenkins which said that since Gov. Abbott had not listed lawyers on the list of businesses that could open, law offices could not. Of course, the wags posting it and commenting on it suggested that the letter was retaliation for a lawyer having gotten the hair salon owner so quickly through the Texas Supreme Court.

So unless Dallas and Dallas county have stopped arresting people (humor intended), the order seems to lean toward denying people their right to representation. I realize that lawyers don't need offices to get people out of jail but paralegals are used to do the leg work for legal actions and if the assistants cannot be in the offices to do that research, cases can be impacted.
Someone needs to bring this to Gov Abbott's attention, so that Clay Jenkins can get slapped down ASAP. The arrogance of officialdom must be curtailed.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Archery1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Archery1 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:57 am
chasfm11 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:53 am On my Facebook feed last night was a copy of the letter from Judge Jenkins which said that since Gov. Abbott had not listed lawyers on the list of businesses that could open, law offices could not. Of course, the wags posting it and commenting on it suggested that the letter was retaliation for a lawyer having gotten the hair salon owner so quickly through the Texas Supreme Court.

Someone needs to bring this to Gov Abbott's attention, so that Clay Jenkins can get slapped down ASAP. The arrogance of officialdom must be curtailed.
May be fake FB news or hyperbolic judge. Financial, legal, and accounting services were already part of the State's and Dallas County's "essential businesses" exemptions. Abbott listed by Order the businesses, and business functions, that could "re-open", whereas those that never were ordered closed to begin with would not need be part of the Order.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 5

Post by chasfm11 »

6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

How much more dumb can ol’ Clay get? "rlol"
This ain’t gonna go well for him. He needs to be kicked out ASAP.

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

chasfm11 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:49 am
Well, with the courts open and running, attorneys attending their hearings via Zoom, and other than postponement with all but essential jury trials, the legal system in Texas never did shut down. Couldn't. Not sure his tactic/meaning for the "office" unless prior for Dallas County, staff all had to work remotely. Otherwise, he changed nothing. Might still be limited to essential staff, or staff that can work remotely, but law offices don't have "open" and "closed" signs on their doors, well, at least any worth hiring :)
Last edited by Archery1 on Sat May 09, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 8

Post by carlson1 »

I have never understood how he gets elected and I still don’t know how he gets elected.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

carlson1 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:10 am I have never understood how he gets elected and I still don’t know how he gets elected.
It can only be corruption
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Flightmare »

Paladin wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:30 am
carlson1 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:10 am I have never understood how he gets elected and I still don’t know how he gets elected.
Don't discount ignorance.

A quote that is often attributed to Einstein says; The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has it's limits.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Flightmare wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:47 pm

A quote that is often attributed to Einstein says; The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has it's limits.
Dallas county has become heavy Democrat. Some of it may be due to straight ticket voting.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Flightmare »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:34 pm

Dallas county has become heavy Democrat. Some of it may be due to straight ticket voting.
The Texas legislature changed that this past session. No more straight ticket voting.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Flightmare wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:07 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:34 pm

The Texas legislature changed that this past session. No more straight ticket voting.
Maybe not with one button click but there are still a huge number of folks who simply run through the ballot checking anyone with a D by their name. We all know that the hispanic candidate ;-) , Beto, caused democrats to get all excited and show up in droves. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the ballots contained no party affiliation. That would require people actually know something about who it is they vote for.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

[quote=03Lightningrocks post_id=1283978 time=1589114596 user_id=3350
It would be interesting to see what would happen if the ballots contained no party affiliation. That would require people actually know something about who it is they vote for.
[/quote]

I for one would STRONGLY support this.

Return to “Off-Topic”