Ethanol free

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Ethanol free

Post by C-dub »

I've thought about "making" my own ethanol free gas for my mower and Stihl multitool motor. It's not difficult to do, but some equipment would make it so simple. I'm sure some of our chemists here can confirm this. I'm considering getting a separatory funnel and stand to do this. Since ethanol attracts water all one needs to do is mix in a cup or more of water to a half gallon of E-10 or E15 gas, shake to mix well, then just let it sit for several hours. The heavier water/ethanol mix will settle to the bottom, while the nearly pure lighter gasoline will remain at the top. Then, in my plan, I would just let the water/ethanol mix out the bottom of the separatory funnel until only the gasoline remained. There would be an easily visible line of separation. The only thing holding me up at this time is what to do with the water/ethanol mixture. It is still flammable and I don't know how I would get rid of it yet.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

C-dub wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:15 pm I've thought about "making" my own ethanol free gas for my mower and Stihl multitool motor. It's not difficult to do, but some equipment would make it so simple. I'm sure some of our chemists here can confirm this. I'm considering getting a separatory funnel and stand to do this. Since ethanol attracts water all one needs to do is mix in a cup or more of water to a half gallon of E-10 or E15 gas, shake to mix well, then just let it sit for several hours. The heavier water/ethanol mix will settle to the bottom, while the nearly pure lighter gasoline will remain at the top. Then, in my plan, I would just let the water/ethanol mix out the bottom of the separatory funnel until only the gasoline remained. There would be an easily visible line of separation. The only thing holding me up at this time is what to do with the water/ethanol mixture.
It is still flammable and I don't know how I would get rid of it yet.
30 years ago we would have poured it on fire ant mounds. :mrgreen:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:22 pm
C-dub wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:15 pm I've thought about "making" my own ethanol free gas for my mower and Stihl multitool motor. It's not difficult to do, but some equipment would make it so simple. I'm sure some of our chemists here can confirm this. I'm considering getting a separatory funnel and stand to do this. Since ethanol attracts water all one needs to do is mix in a cup or more of water to a half gallon of E-10 or E15 gas, shake to mix well, then just let it sit for several hours. The heavier water/ethanol mix will settle to the bottom, while the nearly pure lighter gasoline will remain at the top. Then, in my plan, I would just let the water/ethanol mix out the bottom of the separatory funnel until only the gasoline remained. There would be an easily visible line of separation. The only thing holding me up at this time is what to do with the water/ethanol mixture.
Yeah and I think I still have some malathion around here somewhere. :biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

C-dub wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:28 pm
C-dub wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:15 pm
If you use enough water to dilute the alcohol, the mixture would not be flammable.
NRA Endowment Member

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jago668 »

dlh wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:27 pm Ethanol-free gas is the only gas I run in my three lawnmowers. Good stuff.
Several lawn-mower mechanics recommend it too, especially if your lawn-mowers "sit" over the winter.
They start right back up in the Spring when I leave ethanol-free gas in them over the winter. Not so much with ethanol gas--something about the ethanol separating over time and doing bad stuff to the carburetors. Costs more but well-worth it.
Yeah the ethanol likes to bind with water. So over time it'll bind with moisture in the air. Gas will go bad on its own, we didn't need to put stuff in it to make it do it faster. It is why I buy the canisters of pre-mix for me weedeater and chainsaw because it was ethanol free and I don't use enough to need to mix big batches where cost comes more into it.
NRA Benefactor Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

WildBill wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:01 pm
C-dub wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:15 pm It is still flammable and I don't know how I would get rid of it yet.
If you use enough water to dilute the alcohol, the mixture would not be flammable.
Hmmm, I still don't think I could just pour it down the sink or flush it though.

03Lightningrocks

C-dub wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:05 pm
WildBill wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:01 pm
C-dub wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:15 pm It is still flammable and I don't know how I would get rid of it yet.
Hmmm, I still don't think I could just pour it down the sink or flush it though.
Well you could. But then you would be drinking it in a month or so after it cycled through the water treatment plant. :biggrinjester:

howdy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by howdy »

OneGun wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:33 pm How much more do the gas stations charge for ethanol free gasoline? I doubt we'd see that type of fuel in Harris County because I believe we are an ozone-nonattainment area.
Buckee's in Katy is about $1 more per gallon.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

03Lightningrocks

IMHO, some of you guys have your priorities all screwed up. Looking for a gas station that is Ethanol free? That is not how to choose a gas station. For me it depends on the time of day. Morning fill up? Who has the best coffee? Mid day fill up? Which place has the best hot dogs. Late afternoon? Who sells beer the cheapest. :mrgreen:

SigM4
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SigM4 »

^^^As a father of three young kids, mine is who has the cleanest restrooms. Buc-ees always wins that one, and full length stall doors to combat the nosey types.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:19 pm IMHO, some of you guys have your priorities all screwed up. Looking for a gas station that is Ethanol free? That is not how to choose a gas station. For me it depends on the time of day. Morning fill up? Who has the best coffee? Mid day fill up? Which place has the best hot dogs. Late afternoon? Who sells beer the cheapest. :mrgreen:
I think most are selecting ethanol free for small engines, not where to go for normal stops. That's all i use it for.
I'm not paying the premium for ethanol free on the car with fuel injection.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:22 pm
I'm liable to do that tomorrow and drop a match on top. Some might be surprised how long a fire ant mound will burn. Can't be fire ants without being on fire. Don't know if it works to get rid of them but it makes me feel better.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

WildBill wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:26 pm
oohrah wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:06 pm Waco Walmart on Franklin has 87 ethanol free.

Putting ethanol in gasoline is the biggest fraud perpetrated on us by the agri-business industry and should be stopped.
:iagree:
:iagree: :iagree:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

WildBill wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:14 am
wheelgun1958 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:21 pm FYI the new Buc-ee's in Ennis has ethanol-free gas.
Thank you for the tip! :tiphat:
Bill, the Bucee's in League City and on I-45 both have ethanol free gasoline.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

<r><QUOTE author="C-dub" post_id="1284276" time="1589411729" user_id="5717"><s>
C-dub wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:15 pm</s>
I've thought about "making" my own ethanol free gas for my mower and Stihl multitool motor. It's not difficult to do, but some equipment would make it so simple. I'm sure some of our chemists here can confirm this. I'm considering getting a separatory funnel and stand to do this. Since ethanol attracts water all one needs to do is mix in a cup or more of water to a half gallon of E-10 or E15 gas, shake to mix well, then just let it sit for several hours. The heavier water/ethanol mix will settle to the bottom, while the nearly pure lighter gasoline will remain at the top. Then, in my plan, I would just let the water/ethanol mix out the bottom of the separatory funnel until only the gasoline remained. There would be an easily visible line of separation. The only thing holding me up at this time is what to do with the water/ethanol mixture. It is still flammable and I don't know how I would get rid of it yet.
Gasoline is a complex blend of many petroleum constituents, plus additives and goes through an extensive QA process for many qualities. I'd check the octane and other qualities before using it especially in a car. Probably simpler to by ethanol free gas. I've read of using aviation gas mixed with regular, but that would be a tedious project with out access to a research and motor octane engine. Also, while I'm not a pilot, I believe the fuel air mixture for plane engines is different than mogas engines. Jets and turbo prop engine use Jet fuel (basically high quality kerosene) so don't confuse it with avgas for cylinder engines.
Last edited by puma guy on Fri May 15, 2020 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Off-Topic”