Scenic West Texas Roads

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Scenic West Texas Roads

Post by C-dub »

Hello all West Texans and all that have traveled out there.

A motorcycle trip my wife and I have planned for later this fall will take us to the Grand Canyon and then down to the Greater Phoenix area to visit family. Those are the two main goals for the trip. We'll do some scenic riding on the way out, but mostly the goal is to get near the North Rim in two days then take our time the rest of the trip.

The route home is where I'd like some assistance in West Texas. I'm looking at either 380 or 180. We'll probably be on 180 out of Arizona until it meets up with 380 in San Antonio, AZ. Then either stay on 380 through Roswell and through West Texas all the way back to Denton. Or skip down on 54 at Carrizozo, AZ to 82 that turns into 62 in Texas then 180 all the way to Weatherford. For all I know at this point 180 out of AZ might stay 180 all the way to Weatherford and is also 54, 82, and 62.

Anyway, what I was wondering is if there is much difference between 380 and 180 out in West Texas as far as scenery. Is one route better than the other? We probably won't take much time stopping to walk around much, but we won't be in a hurry either. A nice leisurely 400 miles per day.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Scenic West Texas Roads

Post by G.A. Heath »

I'm in Seminole, so if you take the 62/180 route I would be happy to meet up with you if I am able to get away from work. 82/180 happens to go north of me through Brownfield and if I am off work that day I'd be willing to meet up. As for scenic, both are dry parched, and empty. Going 82/380 will have you travel through a few bigger towns, put you closer to Lubbock if you need some serious support, and will shorten your trip. If you go 62/180 and if I can arrange the time off will get you access to a small firearm collection and access to a local range if it isn't in use. Personally I would take the 82/380 route as it offers significant advantages and has fewer 'oil field' drivers (I hope they are back on the roads in force soon).
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

G.A. Heath wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:21 pm I'm in Seminole, so if you take the 62/180 route I would be happy to meet up with you if I am able to get away from work. 82/180 happens to go north of me through Brownfield and if I am off work that day I'd be willing to meet up. As for scenic, both are dry parched, and empty. Going 82/380 will have you travel through a few bigger towns, put you closer to Lubbock if you need some serious support, and will shorten your trip. If you go 62/180 and if I can arrange the time off will get you access to a small firearm collection and access to a local range if it isn't in use. Personally I would take the 82/380 route as it offers significant advantages and has fewer 'oil field' drivers (I hope they are back on the roads in force soon).
Well, if you're the tie breaker I'll let you know and we'll see if we can meet up for a bit. The trip isn't planned until late September and we would be in your area around October 5-7 passing through. Don't know how long we will take out in Glendale or on the road on the way back. It might be a three day ride or if we take a notion it could turn into a four day ride. I don't have to be back to work until that Saturday, October 10, and my wife won't have to be back until Monday, the 12th. At least that's the current plan.

Now, I gotta know. What are "oil field" drivers?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

67N20
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 67N20 »

Oil field drivers refer to the “_______ crew” drivers. Some roads In west Texas are in poor condition to all the truck traffic plus the drivers drive like idiots.

If you have time, stop in Page (Arizona) and see Horseshoe Bend and tour one of the “slot canyons”
I recommend Lower Antelope tours by Dixie Ellis.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

C-dub wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:29 pm Hello all West Texans and all that have traveled out there.

A motorcycle trip my wife and I have planned for later this fall will take us to the Grand Canyon and then down to the Greater Phoenix area to visit family. Those are the two main goals for the trip. We'll do some scenic riding on the way out, but mostly the goal is to get near the North Rim in two days then take our time the rest of the trip.

The route home is where I'd like some assistance in West Texas. I'm looking at either 380 or 180. We'll probably be on 180 out of Arizona until it meets up with 380 in San Antonio, AZ. Then either stay on 380 through Roswell and through West Texas all the way back to Denton. Or skip down on 54 at Carrizozo, AZ to 82 that turns into 62 in Texas then 180 all the way to Weatherford. For all I know at this point 180 out of AZ might stay 180 all the way to Weatherford and is also 54, 82, and 62.

Anyway, what I was wondering is if there is much difference between 380 and 180 out in West Texas as far as scenery. Is one route better than the other? We probably won't take much time stopping to walk around much, but we won't be in a hurry either. A nice leisurely 400 miles per day.
Two questions:
1. Have you been to Big Bend National Park?
2. What will y'all be riding?
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

oljames3 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:52 pm
C-dub wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:29 pm Hello all West Texans and all that have traveled out there.

Two questions:
1. Have you been to Big Bend National Park?
2. What will y'all be riding?
1. Not yet. That is quite a bit further south than I intend on being on this trip. I've heard it is a nice ride, but that's a little close to the border for my taste. Any issues with that?

2. 2016 Goldwing

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

67N20 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:09 pm Oil field drivers refer to the “_______ crew” drivers. Some roads In west Texas are in poor condition to all the truck traffic plus the drivers drive like idiots.

If you have time, stop in Page (Arizona) and see Horseshoe Bend and tour one of the “slot canyons”
That might be doable on our way out before riding from the north rim around to the south rim. We should arrive in the area of Page or Bitter Springs after a 500ish mile second day of riding. How long does a tour like that take?

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Most of my east-west travel has been on I-10 or US 290. I'm usually going north-south when in north Texas.

I've never had any issues near the southern Texas boarder. However, I've not been near there this year.

I have ridden to Big Bend four times: Honda CL175, Honda CB350-Four, BMW R60/5, BMW R90/6.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

67N20
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 67N20 »

C-dub wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:07 pm [quote=67N20 post_id=<a href="tel:1286947">1286947</a> time=<a href="tel:1592183394">1592183394</a> user_id=7713]
Oil field drivers refer to the “_______ crew” drivers. Some roads In west Texas are in poor condition to all the truck traffic plus the drivers drive like idiots.

That might be doable on our way out before riding from the north rim around to the south rim. We should arrive in the area of Page or Bitter Springs after a 500ish mile second day of riding. How long does a tour like that take?
[/quote]

Horseshoe Bend is a few miles south of Page. Takes about 15-20 minutes (One way) to get to the overlook from the parking lot. Beware-there are no guardrails, long way to the bottom.

There is a North Antelope and South Antelope slot canyon. Tours run by different companies. As I remember it was about a two to two and a half hour experience, counting waiting time. Definitely worth it. Both would be available to see pictures on the internet. I’d post links but I’m using my phone.

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

Drive thru the Twisted Sister in Texas.

https://texasheritageforliving.com/texa ... -in-texas/
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

If you skip down 54 to 82 you'll go through Cloudcroft, NM. A nice little mountain town. Once out of the mountains of NM you'll be in dry, flat open land. There is a certain beauty to it, but it wears off pretty quickly. You'll probably skip down to 62 at Lovington, NM unless you go south at Artesia on 285 to Carlsbad. You could pick up the caverns if you've never been there before. You'll be on flat dry roads until you drop off the caprock either at Post (380) or Gail (180) then the scenery gets a little more interesting as you head home.

As GAH stated, 380 keeps you closer to Lubbock and avoids more of the oil field traffic, especially once you're east of Post but then you're pretty much on your own until your almost home. 180 will keep you closer to I-20 if you need a place to bail.

Other than these few details there is not much difference in the scenery.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

If they are near your route, both Meteor Crater and the 'Standing on the Corner' in Winslow are a sight to see.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Get a copy of "Backroads of Texas".
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Sorry, my heading is not as accurate as it needed to be.
We will not be stopping to sight see on our return trip from AZ and the Grand Canyon. As my OP states, I really only wanted to know which was more scenic, 380 or 180 out in West Texas. If there was a difference at all.

So far it looks like the tie breaker will be stopping in Seminole to visit with GAH. I looked at our route in more detail last night and since I’m “planning” on ~400 mile days coming home, Seminole looks to be a nice place to stop on the second day. We’ll see how it goes and maybe G.A. Won’t have to leave work early at all and we can meet for dinner.

South Texas will have to be for another time.

Twisted Sisters are a great ride. We’ve done them three times so far. Plus a few other roads in the area.

TexasFlash

Post by TexasFlash »

I was born and raised in El Paso; my suggestion is, as you mentioned, hwy 54 out of Carrizozo NM, on down to 62/180. You'll see the Sacramento Mountains on your left, the Organ Mountains on your right; as you get close to Alamogordo you'll see White Sands on your right also. Out of El Paso, you'll pass through the Hueco Mountains, then you'll see the Guadalupes in the distance. You will go directly beneath the highest spot in Texas, Guadalupe Peak/El Capitan, then drive past Carlsbad Caverns. Scenery gets less interesting (flat) soon thereafter.
I miss my desert and mountains at times; I really need to head back for a good trip. I have some Harley friends in El Paso who come this way every couple of years to ride the Hill Country, but I think it's time for me to head that way for a bit.
Hope you have a great trip; post pics when you get back.
Dave :txflag:

Return to “Off-Topic”