What is privilege

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What is privilege

Post by jason812 »

Nickgibson72 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:21 pm
Again sir, let's learn how to read and comprehend before we comment shall we. I said that this site and state are filled with racist people. Last time I checked, that didn't mean everyone on the site and in the state were racist. Filled with and everyone are completely different. I can add links to an online dictionary of that helps clear things up for you.
You mean like this:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... descending

Definition of condescending
: showing or characterized by a patronizing or superior attitude toward others
I guess I shouldn't have responded. I'm now a racist.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 10

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

AndyC wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:23 pm
AndyC wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:55 am
Nickgibson72 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:27 am But let's not all sit here and try to make it seem like there aren't a bunch of racists on this site.
"a bunch of racists on this site." - hmm, quite a blanket accusation. How about you post specific quotes to prove your allegation and we can discuss them.
I figured you couldn't.
I am wanting to read his response to Andy. He obviously is having trouble coming up with anything. :read:

srothstein
Posts in topic: 4

Post by srothstein »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:17 pm
Nickgibson72 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:58 pm And the racist boomers continue to come pouring in. I never said anything about me supporting BLM. I said that when BLM comes up in the media, there is always a post on this site bashing in. Not once did I say anything else about BLM, so clearly you are both racist and illiterate. But hey, we can't all be winners in life. I am done with this whole conversation. I have learned to never come and comment on a post because clearly people on here can't carry on an intelligent debate without getting their panties all twisted up. And you guys wonder why this site has gone down hill in the past year. Good day gents
Accusing everyone in Texas and everyone on this forum of being racist is not exactly "just making a comment". When you start out by attacking the entire forum and the entire State of Texas you should expect a less than cordial reaction.
Again sir, let's learn how to read and comprehend before we comment shall we. I said that this site and state are filled with racist people. Last time I checked, that didn't mean everyone on the site and in the state were racist. Filled with and everyone are completely different. I can add links to an online dictionary of that helps clear things up for you.
And here we have more prevarication and bigotry. He doesn't support BLM but others that oppose it are racists. I'm sorry, he did not say he doesn't support it, just that he never said he did support it. And if we disagree with him, we are "boomers".

And he did not say everyone was a racist, just that Texas and the site are filled with racists. Yeah, filled with does not mean everyone, but it certainly implies a majority. If I have a box and it holds 200 pieces of fruit, and I have 190 oranges and 10 apples, it is filled with oranges. If I have 10 oranges and 190 apples, no one would say it was filled with oranges. That is how he intended his original statement and exactly how we took it. We do comprehend him much more than ever.

And now he gives us more lies. He said he was done with this conversation but then he came back in again.

I have to take back my original statement that he wasn't a troll. He is definitely a troll, a bigot, and a fascist.

But don't worry, Nickgibson72, you are still welcome here and welcome to make comments on any post you want to. Just expect to get feedback when you make what I would call stupid statements. None of us are very willing to suffer fools gladly.
Steve Rothstein

eyedoc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by eyedoc »

srothstein wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:36 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:17 pm
Nickgibson72 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:58 pm And the racist boomers continue to come pouring in. I never said anything about me supporting BLM. I said that when BLM comes up in the media, there is always a post on this site bashing in. Not once did I say anything else about BLM, so clearly you are both racist and illiterate. But hey, we can't all be winners in life. I am done with this whole conversation. I have learned to never come and comment on a post because clearly people on here can't carry on an intelligent debate without getting their panties all twisted up. And you guys wonder why this site has gone down hill in the past year. Good day gents
Accusing everyone in Texas and everyone on this forum of being racist is not exactly "just making a comment". When you start out by attacking the entire forum and the entire State of Texas you should expect a less than cordial reaction.
And here we have more prevarication and bigotry. He doesn't support BLM but others that oppose it are racists. I'm sorry, he did not say he doesn't support it, just that he never said he did support it. And if we disagree with him, we are "boomers".

And he did not say everyone was a racist, just that Texas and the site are filled with racists. Yeah, filled with does not mean everyone, but it certainly implies a majority. If I have a box and it holds 200 pieces of fruit, and I have 190 oranges and 10 apples, it is filled with oranges. If I have 10 oranges and 190 apples, no one would say it was filled with oranges. That is how he intended his original statement and exactly how we took it. We do comprehend him much more than ever.

And now he gives us more lies. He said he was done with this conversation but then he came back in again.

I have to take back my original statement that he wasn't a troll. He is definitely a troll, a bigot, and a fascist.

But don't worry, Nickgibson72, you are still welcome here and welcome to make comments on any post you want to. Just expect to get feedback when you make what I would call stupid statements. None of us are very willing to suffer fools gladly.
Technically, if a jar is filled with something, there is not room for anything else. Texas filled with racist, means no room for anyone else.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

It would be best if you did leave this conversation or you will be leaving the Forum. My about BLM had ZERO to do with anything you said. It was a random statement that I believe. So you may call it trolling, racism, or any other thing you want to, but you will STOP NOW with the personal attacks here on this Forum.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

carlson1 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:47 pm
It would be best if you did leave this conversation or you will be leaving the Forum. My about BLM had ZERO to do with anything you said. It was a random statement that I believe. So you may call it trolling, racism, or any other thing you want to, but you will STOP NOW with the personal attacks here on this Forum.
:iagree:
Don’t go away angry, just go away. :tiphat:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Nickgibson72 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:33 am Yes let's keep using images stolen off the internet to prove our points without actually doing the research. The ignorance I speak of is all over this website. Every thread on here has racial undertones throughout. And here I thought Texas was supposed to be this great state filled with the nicest people you'll ever find. All I've seen since moving here is a state filled with racists. And this thread is just proving that. The OP didn't outright say it was talking about the black community, but we all know that's exactly who it was aimed at.
I will paraphrase the little nugget of "folk wisdom" I included in my previous post:
There is a popular saying that goes something like this.... if you meet a cretin in the morning, then you met a cretin. But if all you meet all day long are cretins, then YOU'RE the cretin.
I am NOT saying that anyone here is a cretin, but I AM saying that we might all be attentive to not be the guy who thinks everyone he meets is a cretin ... or a racist.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

To paraphrase the Bard " he doth protest too much, methinks". At least he picked up one Texas trait by saying goodbye again and again.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

carlson1 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:38 pm BLM should be listed as a Terrorist Organization.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

This is not mine. Someone sent it to me, but it is definitely a great thought.

It’s all starting to add up....talking of getting rid of the police? Smells like New World Order is in the works.
Here's the TRUTH of what's happening in the world!!!! Create a VIRUS to scare people. Place them in quarantine. Count the number of dead every second of every day in every news headline. Close all businesses. 40,000,000 out of jobs. Peak unemployment. Remove entertainment: parks, gyms, bars, restaurants, sports. No dating. No touching. Mask people. Dehumanize them. Close temples and churches. Create a vacuum. Let depression and anxiety and desperation set in.
THEN... ignite hatred and civil war. Civil unrest. Empty the prisons because of the virus and fill the streets with criminals. Send in Antifa to vandalize property as if they are freedom fighters. Undermine the law. Loot. Attack law enforcement, but tell government to order a stand-down. We are all being baited by adversarial governments who want to destroy America - China, Iran, Russia. And, in an election year, have Democrats blame all of it on the President.
Can’t take America in a war, destroy it from within.
We are being conditioned, manipulated, and programmed by multiple agendas as never before.....time to DO OUR OWN RESEARCH and MAKE UP OUR OWN MINDS rather than eating everything being spoon-fed to us! SOCIAL MEDIA is going to kill us!

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I'm interested in hearing opposing points of view and try my best to find those that try to present that viewpoint that I might not agree with in some cogent way.

I got to this video by un-layering a Facebook post. I opened a link and imbedded in it was a link to this University of Georgia graduate student's description of systemic racism. More interesting are his solutions.

Warning: if you blood pressure isn't under control, don't follow the link.

Let me be clear: I do NOT believe that those who argue systemic white racism in the U.S. follow this same line of thinking. But I do think that some are connecting dots in the same manner.

I studied syllogisms in my 2nd semester undergraduate English class. I amazes me that a graduate student in philosophy would flunk the basic concepts of syllogisms as badly as he does. That doesn't mean that I don't recognize some kernels of truth in some of the things that he says. But his "logic flows" are unfathomable.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

strogg

Post by strogg »

chasfm11 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:45 pm I'm interested in hearing opposing points of view and try my best to find those that try to present that viewpoint that I might not agree with in some cogent way.

I got to this video by un-layering a Facebook post. I opened a link and imbedded in it was a link to this University of Georgia graduate student's description of system racism. More interesting are his solutions.

Warning: if you blood pressure isn't under control, don't follow the link.

Let me be clear: I do NOT believe that those who argue systemic white racism in the U.S. follow this same line of thinking. But I do think that some are connecting dots in the same manner.

I studied syllogisms in my 2nd semester undergraduate English class. I amazes me that a graduate student in philosophy would flunk the basic concepts of syllogisms as badly as he does. That doesn't mean that I don't recognize some kernels of truth in some of the things that he says. But his "logic flows" are unfathomable.
To be as fair as possible, I find that his logic is pretty far fetched, but he also has some persuasive points. The same can be said for some commentary videos I've seen that support my thoughts on the issue too. For example, in his video, he does two things in the short snippet I watched:

1. He laid out "truths" and said because 1 and 2 are true, the third must be true, even though they follow no logical progression. As chasfm11 said, it lacks the basic tenants of syllogism. It doesn't matter if they do or not, though. The fact that all three points can be seen as true makes the argument work in a subconscious level for those not in the know of the methodology and for those who are in their own little echo chamber.

2. Many of his arguments are pointing to a negative. For example, the lack of any white supremacy media coverage. His argument is that there's no coverage because it has been suppressed. The logical counter argument would be to prove that it's not being suppressed. That would involve proving a negative or proving something really doesn't exist. Because of that, many people would subconsciously believe that he's right with the suppression, since the counterargument would not work. A different approach would need to be considered to argue against that.

Unfortunately, things like this are common everywhere. I just heard today that this last weekend was extremely violent in large, democratic controlled cities. It then cites examples, one of which is a single data point in CHAZ/CHOP. This method leaves out the big facts that we need, which is the difference between overall violent crime rate this weekend compared to last weekend, a year ago, etc. Not just three or four small data points. Although they are actually true points, just because it's true for 3 cities and a fake city doesn't mean that it's true for all 50 or so "big cities" in the US that are Minneapolis sized or larger. If it really is true, I'd like to see the evidence

Despite all that, though, the only good, cogent arguments I've heard so far are those who disagree with the notion of systemic racism. In my mind, socioeconomic success is given to those who earn and maintain it. It is blind to race, color, creed, gender, etc. There is already equality in American life. It's up to the individuals to earn and maintain it. Individuals are free to band together and help each other out altruistically, but I'm not about to kidnap individuals and force them into my camp or someone else's camp.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

KC5AV wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:00 pm I'm just going to leave this here. I had the opportunity to attend this event at Wiley College last year.

Thanks for posting this. It applies at ALL THAT CLAIM TO BE A VICTIM of ANYTHING
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I came back to this topic only to add this information. I pulled this from the Wikipedia article on the subject. Yes, I know that site is not without issues. However, I think this backs up my use of the word "trolling".
In internet slang, a troll is a person who starts flame wars or upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] either for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

Return to “Off-Topic”