What is privilege

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

What is privilege

Post by Tex1961 »

This was not written by me, but well said.

What is privilege?....
Privilege is wearing $200 sneakers when you’ve never had a job.
Privilege is wearing $300 Beats headphones while living on public assistance.
Privilege is having a Smartphone with a Data plan which you receive no bill for.
Privilege is living in public subsidized housing where you don’t have a utility bill and where rising property taxes and rents and energy costs have absolutely no effect on the amount of food you can put on your table.
Privilege is having free health insurance for you and your family that's paid for by working people who can't afford health insurance for their families.
Privilege is having multiple national organizations promoting and protecting your race that's subsidized by federal tax dollars.
Privilege is having access to a national college fund that supports only your race.
Privilege is having a television network that supports only your race.
Privilege is the ability to go march against, and protest against anything that triggers you, without worrying about calling out off work and the consequences that accompany such.
Privilege is having as many children as you want, regardless of your employment status, and be able to send them off to daycare or school you don’t pay for.
Privilege is having most of your life paid for by the people who DO HAVE TO DEAL WITH RISING TAXES AND COSTS!...you know, us so called “PRIVILEGED” ones who pay while you TAKE TAKE TAKE!

Forward this to those you know!!

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 10

Re: What is privilege

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:21 pm This was not written by me, but well said.

What is privilege?....
Privilege is having a Smartphone with a Data plan which you receive no bill for.
Privilege is living in public subsidized housing where you don’t have a utility bill and where rising property taxes and rents and energy costs have absolutely no effect on the amount of food you can put on your table.
Privilege is having free health insurance for you and your family that's paid for by working people who can't afford health insurance for their families.
Privilege is having multiple national organizations promoting and protecting your race that's subsidized by federal tax dollars.
Privilege is having access to a national college fund that supports only your race.
Privilege is the ability to go march against, and protest against anything that triggers you, without worrying about calling out off work and the consequences that accompany such.
Privilege is having as many children as you want, regardless of your employment status, and be able to send them off to daycare or school you don’t pay for.
Privilege is having most of your life paid for by the people who DO HAVE TO DEAL WITH RISING TAXES AND COSTS!...you know, us so called “PRIVILEGED” ones who pay while you TAKE TAKE TAKE!

:iagree: :patriot:

cirus
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cirus »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:21 pm This was not written by me, but well said.

What is privilege?....

Careful! You directing that towards a certain group of people. :lol:

striker55

Post by striker55 »

True, I'm tired of hearing "white privilege" when we have to watch what we say and certain people can say or even yell anything. I'm tired of named brands changing their names or pictures. I'm tired of people trying to change history by taking down statue's.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

The problem is that most of these have been, and continue to be, framed as entitlements by government agencies and others rather than privileges. Thus, some folks feel that they are entitled to these things (if they think about it at all do they consider these some form of "reparations"?? I certainly don't know) and don't feel privileged at all to be benefiting from them.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

:iagree: Entitled to everything including money without working. I jut wonder how many received a stimulus check that have never filed income tax in their whole life?

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

All this bought to you by LBJ great society program!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

03Lightningrocks

Deltaboy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:54 pm All this bought to you by LBJ great society program!
Exactly. And his legacy continues to destroy and keep the black community down to this very day.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Yeah, you just keep living in your narrow minded reality. When you can step out of your comfort zone, and meet someone in your community who is struggling, then maybe you’ll understand. Until then, you have no credibility.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Deltaboy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:54 pm All this bought to you by LBJ great society program!
yep 100%

but you forgot the biggest racist entity in our government that hides and receives special favors based on race....yes the congressional black caucus, now that is privilege
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Nickgibson72
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Nickgibson72 »

It blows my mind to see so much ignorance in these posts. You want to talk about privilege? It is a privilege to have an interaction with a cop where you don't end up dead because of the color of your skin. It is a privilege to walk into a store and be treated with respect, with no concern from the owner if you are going to steal something. It is a privilege to go to your 50k a year private schools where they can afford books and other basic materials. It is a privilege to drive your expensive trucks without people thinking it's drug money that bought it. Some of y'all need to really educate yourselves instead of just being ignorant and "old school". There is a reason these things continue to happen, and those reasons are right here in this thread.

03Lightningrocks

Nickgibson72 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:02 am It blows my mind to see so much ignorance in these posts.
The only ignorance I see is in your post of assumptions.
Nickgibson72 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:02 amYou want to talk about privilege? It is a privilege to have an interaction with a cop where you don't end up dead because of the color of your skin.
No police officer has killed someone simply because of the color of their skin. How people end up dead when dealing with the police is resisting arrest or attacking the police. Here are some stats for you.

Nickgibson72 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:02 am It is a privilege to walk into a store and be treated with respect, with no concern from the owner if you are going to steal something.It is a privilege to drive your expensive trucks without people thinking it's drug money that bought it.
This is called projecting. You may be making such assumptions about people of color but most people do not.
Nickgibson72 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:02 am It is a privilege to go to your 50k a year private schools where they can afford books and other basic materials.
This one is just rich. I am not sure what level of ignorance it takes to assume everyone who goes to college attended a 50k private school with all bills paid. Maybe you did and feel guilty about it?

Nickgibson72
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Nickgibson72 »

Yes let's keep using images stolen off the internet to prove our points without actually doing the research. The ignorance I speak of is all over this website. Every thread on here has racial undertones throughout. And here I thought Texas was supposed to be this great state filled with the nicest people you'll ever find. All I've seen since moving here is a state filled with racists. And this thread is just proving that. The OP didn't outright say it was talking about the black community, but we all know that's exactly who it was aimed at.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 4

Post by srothstein »

Nickgibson72 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:33 am Yes let's keep using images stolen off the internet to prove our points without actually doing the research. The ignorance I speak of is all over this website. Every thread on here has racial undertones throughout. And here I thought Texas was supposed to be this great state filled with the nicest people you'll ever find. All I've seen since moving here is a state filled with racists. And this thread is just proving that. The OP didn't outright say it was talking about the black community, but we all know that's exactly who it was aimed at.
I disagree with your claim that every thread here has undertones of racism. There are a few, but it is few. Texas is not filled with racists. There are some, but it is a small percentage of Texans. In general, since I moved here I found Texans to be among the nicest and friendliest people in the world.

If you perceive racism where it is not intended, the racist might be you instead of the person making the post. Yes, the OP in this thread was targeting the Black community, or at least the lower class Black community. I agree that was obvious because the word "privilege" is generally used only with the descriptor of "White" and the OP was responding to that. If someone is making racist claims (i.e. White Privilege) is it racist to respond? Is it better to just ignore it? I am a big believer myself that "White Privilege" is a made up thing that does not really exist. You may feel otherwise. And of course, that is your right. One of the great things about Texas, and generally about the US, is that we are all allowed to have our own opinions on things.

I don't know how long you have lived in Texas, but if no one has said it before, Welcome to Texas. As you travel around the state and meet people, I think you will find that as a general rule, Texans are among the nicest and friendliest you will meet. You will meet some you don't like and you will meet some I wish were not in Texas. It is a fact of life that people are not a monolithic group where everyone is alike. I have a personal rule that says in any group, there are 10% bad people. It can be Texans, Cops, Teachers, Whites, Blacks, Preachers, Kids, Politicians (well, that one is probably higher than 10%), Truck drivers, Pedestrians, Dog owners, or any other way you break people down into groups. You just have to learn to ignore the small minority and get along with the good people. It makes life much more pleasant when you do.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Nickgibson72 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:33 am Yes let's keep using images stolen off the internet to prove our points without actually doing the research. The ignorance I speak of is all over this website. Every thread on here has racial undertones throughout. And here I thought Texas was supposed to be this great state filled with the nicest people you'll ever find. All I've seen since moving here is a state filled with racists. And this thread is just proving that. The OP didn't outright say it was talking about the black community, but we all know that's exactly who it was aimed at.
No Sir.
I was making NO assertions towards ANY race. As a matter of fact I used to work with the Texas Department of Human Services and I can tell you first hand there were people of equal color abusing the system and demanding free services.

Return to “Off-Topic”