Report expired paper tags

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
striker55
Posts in topic: 5

Report expired paper tags

Post by striker55 »

I have a neighbor who constantly drives her car with expired paper tags. Her last vehicle she drove for about a year with expired tags. When she parked on the street i would call the sheriff and report it, sheriff would come out (eventually) and nothing would happen. Or maybe a ticket was issued, I don't know. She did get regular plates eventually, then totalled her vehicle. Now she has a new car and those paper tags expired today. I'm wondering how long she will drive with those. Her sister also drives with expired tags for a couple of years. I do everything by the book and it gets under my skin to see them getting away with it. I see on Cops or LivePD people being pulled over all the time. I sure would like to report those plates.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Report expired paper tags

Post by Tex1961 »

You posted on a public forum, so please don't get mad when you get pushback.... While I'll admit I'm sort of a rule follower myself and get a little tweaked sometimes when I see people flaunting the law, it's mostly speeders, tail gaiters and people parking in handicap spots... But those are things that effect others... Beyond that who cares.... She isn't hurting anyone, so why bother.... We have enough Karens out there, don't add to the list....

Topic author
striker55

Post by striker55 »

I hear you but there is a history between us.

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

Interesting - I generally thought paper tags was a real good reason for the police to pull you over to see if the car was stolen.

67N20
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 67N20 »

Kid next to me has been driving his car no rear plate, no paper tag in rear window for the last 3 months. How does he get away with that?

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Tex1961 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:10 amShe isn't hurting anyone, so why bother.... We have enough Karens out there, don't add to the list....
:iagree:
striker55 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:15 am I hear you but there is a history between us.
Sounds like bad history...maybe time for a change?
No one is perfect, we all have faults and flaws....me most of all....just ask my wife.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

philip964 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:20 am Interesting - I generally thought paper tags was a real good reason for the police to pull you over to see if the car was stolen.
Yes and people that drive around with 2 year old paper tags, no registration sticker eventually get pulled over so the cop can find the meth pipe with residue, marijuana 'shake' all over the passenger seats and baggie with 2 crack rocks in them. I saw it all on LivePD until the got canceled. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
striker55

Post by striker55 »

Most likely expired tags no insurance?

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

striker55 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:57 am Most likely expired tags no insurance?
That is an interesting question. I got caught up in part of that when the State of Texas was comparing VINs to insurance policies. Somehow, the VIN that Texas had for one of my vehicles had two switched digits - obviously a typo at some point. It was caught not through a traffic stop but when the big computer in the sky received and compared the inputs from the insurance companies. I'm guessing that the VIN is more stable than a license number for that type of comparison.

I've heard stories that some dealers refuse to apply for a permanent plate while a person owes money on a car that they have purchased. They just keep re-issuing paper ones. I have no evidence to suggest that is true. But isn't part of the underlying problem the length of time that it takes DPS to turn around plates? Two years ago, I ended up buy two different cars of the same model one day apart (long story). I sold the first car one day after I bought it and it took 60 days for me to get its tags. It was 45 days before I got the tags for the 2nd one and I ended up getting into a bruhaha with the North Texas Toll Authority over my not updating my account with them with the proper tag numbers. I had remembered that I needed to do that when I bought the car. 45 days later, the idea of doing it had slipped my mind.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Remember, there is currently a temporary waiver in place for tags due to Covid-19. Your neighbor may have driven with expired tags anyway, but right now she is good. Personally, I would drop the pettiness and worry about my own business... let the history between you to be history.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Tex1961 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:10 am You posted on a public forum, so please don't get mad when you get pushback.... While I'll admit I'm sort of a rule follower myself and get a little tweaked sometimes when I see people flaunting the law, it's mostly speeders, tail gaiters and people parking in handicap spots... But those are things that effect others... Beyond that who cares.... She isn't hurting anyone, so why bother.... We have enough Karens out there, don't add to the list....
On the contrary, if she's doing it to drive without insurance, then she hurts all of us.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

oohrah wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:42 pm
Tex1961 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:10 am You posted on a public forum, so please don't get mad when you get pushback.... While I'll admit I'm sort of a rule follower myself and get a little tweaked sometimes when I see people flaunting the law, it's mostly speeders, tail gaiters and people parking in handicap spots... But those are things that effect others... Beyond that who cares.... She isn't hurting anyone, so why bother.... We have enough Karens out there, don't add to the list....
On the contrary, if she's doing it to drive without insurance, then she hurts all of us.
NOPE>.. No where in the OP's post was insurance mentioned.... We can all make guesses and add our own parts to the story. I'm not saying that they are in the right... But where do you draw the line on a nanny state and a state where all good citizens turn each other in.....

snapcap45

Post by snapcap45 »

Nobody likes snitches. Just sayin...

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Paper tags are a cottage industry in my neck of the woods. There was an "electronics" shop in the warehouse center where my brother had his studio that issued paper tags to any one who came in. There was always a pile of expired metal plates in front of the place. Paper tags are also used by criminals to prevent identification of a vehicle used in crimes, like jugging. In my ride alongs with PPD paper tags were always checked by the officers. They would check the VIN# s printed on the tags to see if the vehicle matched the description.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Off-Topic”