US didn't need to drop the atomic bomb on Japan

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Re: US didn't need to drop the atomic bomb on Japan

Post by oohrah »

aero10 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:40 pm The Japanese didn't have to bomb Pearl Harbor.
When I was stationed in Japan, I took my family to visit the Peace Park and A-bomb dome. My 9yo daughter was horrified, and asked how we could do such a thing. On the way home, we stopped in Oahu for R&R, and we visited the USS Arizona Memorial. After the history presentation, my daughter looked up at me and said "Now I understand".
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

A friend visited Peal Harbor and took the tour of the Arizona. A man from Japan was next to him on the boat, he asked him why he was visiting this memorial. He replied "because of this attack many Japanese died".

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

I'm not reading the article but we didn't "need" to drop the atom bombs. We chose to so that millions of lives would be saved. War is hell and it's terrible that many civilians were killed but they gave their lives so that many, many more were saved. Even some of the Japanese generals and leaders acknowledge that the US actually saved millions of lives by dropping the bombs. This is all part of 1984 to rewrite history to make the US the worst country in the world.

If you ever get a chance to visit the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor, do so. It will make you mad, or at least it made me mad.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

This is a bit off topic, but I always thought it interesting. Hope I can be forgiven for slightly derailing the thread.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

oohrah wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:47 am
aero10 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:40 pm The Japanese didn't have to bomb Pearl Harbor.
When I was stationed in Japan, I took my family to visit the Peace Park and A-bomb dome. My 9yo daughter was horrified, and asked how we could do such a thing. On the way home, we stopped in Oahu for R&R, and we visited the USS Arizona Memorial. After the history presentation, my daughter looked up at me and said "Now I understand".
Another uncle who was at Bataan and survived the POW camps would have told her why he wished we had dropped more.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by crazy2medic »

My great uncle robert is interned on the Arizona, if you go there the name Robert Herriott is my grandfather's brother
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

August 6-9 is always a time of reflection for me. I am sure I'm not the only forum member who has worked with nuclear weapons. It tends to change your perception of life and engender a certain dark humor that others often find difficult to comprehend. Based on my own study, research, education, and experience, I fully agree with the decision to use Little Boy and Fat Man.

President Truman was a US Army artillery battery commander in World War I. It was the Army that dropped the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I spent my Army career with nuclear systems in the Cold War; 155mm cannons, Pershing 1a and Pershing II missiles. As a Pershing missile platoon leader, I aimed my three missiles, and their live nuclear warheads, at targets in the Warsaw Pact countries. As the Assistant Operations Officer, my battalion's 18 self-propelled howitzers trained and stood ready to deploy to the Fulda Gap to stop the Russian hordes with tactical nuclear weapons. We, the US Army field artillery community, are glad we never fired our weapons in anger. We did our job and kept the Cold War cold.

Their will always be those who fail to understand.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

oljames3 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:59 pm August 6-9 is always a time of reflection for me. I am sure I'm not the only forum member who has worked with nuclear weapons. It tends to change your perception of life and engender a certain dark humor that others often find difficult to comprehend. Based on my own study, research, education, and experience, I fully agree with the decision to use Little Boy and Fat Man.

President Truman was a US Army artillery battery commander in World War I. It was the Army that dropped the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I spent my Army career with nuclear systems in the Cold War; 155mm cannons, Pershing 1a and Pershing II missiles. As a Pershing missile platoon leader, I aimed my three missiles, and their live nuclear warheads, at targets in the Warsaw Pact countries. As the Assistant Operations Officer, my battalion's 18 self-propelled howitzers trained and stood ready to deploy to the Fulda Gap to stop the Russian hordes with tactical nuclear weapons. We, the US Army field artillery community, are glad we never fired our weapons in anger. We did our job and kept the Cold War cold.

Their will always be those who fail to understand.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dad (and family) was stationed in Oberammergau from sometime in 1963 to 1965. He worked with the Sergeant and Corporal delivery systems. As a special forces member with his particular MOS, even his family was treated somewhat differently. Growing up overseas, with the constant expectation of hostilities gave me a view of the world somewhat different from the people with whom I went high to school and College.
I answered a Quora question that addressed this:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-family- ... 0513199695

E150GT

Post by E150GT »

I'm glad they didn't drop it on Kyoto. My mom is half Japanese and born in kyoto in the 50's.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Like many others here, my Dad was in a P-38 Fighter Group that had gone through the fighting in New Guinea, invasion of Moratai, attacks on Borneo and the invasion of the Philippines. In late July 1945 they went from Luzon south to Mindanao to re-equip with the latest model P-38 in preparation for providing close air support for the invasion of Japan. He truly believed that dropping the atomic bombs saved his life, the lives of many of his squadron mates, and actually of millions of Japanese.

I personally sat alert for a week at a time (every third week) for more than three years in the B-52 so I know what a nuke can do. The nuclear genie is out of the bottle. Declared and non-declared nuclear powers include the US, UK, France, India, Pakistan, Israel, Russia, China, north Korea, and a few others. Obviously in this list are countries that are at odds with us. I believe the key thing keeping them from using one against us is the certainty that if they did, we would retaliate not only in kind, but in an overwhelming manner.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

AF-Odin wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:18 pm Like many others here, my Dad was in a P-38 Fighter Group that had gone through the fighting in New Guinea, invasion of Moratai, attacks on Borneo and the invasion of the Philippines. In late July 1945 they went from Luzon south to Mindanao to re-equip with the latest model P-38 in preparation for providing close air support for the invasion of Japan. He truly believed that dropping the atomic bombs saved his life, the lives of many of his squadron mates, and actually of millions of Japanese.

I personally sat alert for a week at a time (every third week) for more than three years in the B-52 so I know what a nuke can do. The nuclear genie is out of the bottle. Declared and non-declared nuclear powers include the US, UK, France, India, Pakistan, Israel, Russia, China, north Korea, and a few others. Obviously in this list are countries that are at odds with us. I believe the key thing keeping them from using one against us is the certainty that if they did, we would retaliate not only in kind, but in an overwhelming manner.
I’m not so certain that if the US was attacked with a limited nuclear attack from a small country we would respond in an overwhelming manner, if certain persons were elected to Commander in Chief. The past few months have shown us that right is wrong and wrong is right. The upside down world we see today in America, creates editorials like we see in the LATimes and creates the thinking that protecting this vision of America and its people is now wrong.

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

The conventional incendiary bombing of Tokyo (not to mention Kobe) killed more Japanese than the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombs combined. Ending the war this way, without a land invasion, or more fire-bombing, certainly saved many, many, American lives, but saved far more Japanese lives.

We must judge historical acts from the historical context.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The Japanese military was not going to surrender, even after being hit with two atomic bombs. They were going to kidnap and likely kill the Emperor to keep him from surrendering. A few brave men got him to a hideout and ultimately got his surrender message broadcast to the Japanese people. At this point, the military leaders were dead in the water; the people would have revolted had they defied the Emperor's surrender order.

Yes, it was necessary to use atomic bombs against Japan, for humanitarian reasons. It saved millions of lives.
Chas.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

[
We must judge historical acts from the historical context.
Unfortunately, in today's Cancel Culture climate no one wants to understand the historical context of anything or the historical significance of anything.

If certain segments are allowed to take power in the US, Philip964 may be correct in his statement.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:56 pm The Japanese military was not going to surrender, even after being hit with two atomic bombs. They were going to kidnap and likely kill the Emperor to keep him from surrendering. A few brave men got him to a hideout and ultimately got his surrender message broadcast to the Japanese people. At this point, the military leaders were dead in the water; the people would have revolted had they defied the Emperor's surrender order.

Yes, it was necessary to use atomic bombs against Japan, for humanitarian reasons. It saved millions of lives.
Chas.
And probably one of the reasons we didn't bomb Kyoto - that's where the Emperor's palace is.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Off-Topic”