Stolen American flag

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
striker55
Posts in topic: 4

Stolen American flag

Post by striker55 »

Within 5 days I had two American flags taken off of my house. I have a camera and didn't get the criminal. He stole the first one around 2 am using a metal chair from my neighbors yard to reach it. He was able to break the plastic holder by pulling down the flag and then the pole. Second one he was able to reach the flag and pull the pole and holder from the house. I thought sure my camera would get pictures but now that I look it's dark between my house and bushes. About a year ago another neighbor had his flag pulled down and thrown in the road. I hope karma gets this guy.

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Stolen American flag

Post by der Teufel »

Fence Charger
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

der Teufel wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:56 pm Fence Charger
While potentially emotionally satisfying, this is probably not be legal under Texas law. https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/SOTW ... m/PE.9.htm
Sec. 9.44. USE OF DEVICE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. The justification afforded by Sections 9.41 and 9.43 applies to the use of a device to protect land or tangible, movable property if:

(1) the device is not designed to cause, or known by the actor to create a substantial risk of causing, death or serious bodily injury; and

(2) use of the device is reasonable under all the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be when he installs the device.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Yep a plug in model should keep squirrels from messing with your flag. You can use them for pest or livestock control
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

oljames3 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:11 pm
While potentially emotionally satisfying, this is probably not be legal under Texas law. https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/SOTW ... m/PE.9.htm
Sec. 9.44. USE OF DEVICE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. The justification afforded by Sections 9.41 and 9.43 applies to the use of a device to protect land or tangible, movable property if:

(1) the device is not designed to cause, or known by the actor to create a substantial risk of causing, death or serious bodily injury; and

(2) use of the device is reasonable under all the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be when he installs the device.
IANAL, but if the device is designed to ward off squirrels, then I think the first requirement would be met (not designed to cause death / serious bodily injury). As far as reasonableness, considering that it would be legal in Texas to kill the criminal the moment he has your flag in his hands and has started to flee, I think a slight shock is reasonable. But then again, IANAL. It probably depends on how many liberals you get on your jury (Katy is a bit of a crapshoot in that regard).

This is a good example of how Texas laws are a bit backwards w/r/t self defense, IMHO. It is legal to use deadly force to prevent a criminal from escaping with stolen property at night (assuming you can't chase him down, etc), but it might not be legal to give the same criminal a small shock to prevent him from stealing the property in the first place?

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Infrared game camera.
Can be had for around 100 bucks.
Pictures or video.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Cattle hot wire won't kill you, it'll certainly give a very uncomfortable jolt, I know form personal experience
, back in my youth I was duped into touching one!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

crazy2medic wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:37 pm Cattle hot wire won't kill you, it'll certainly give a very uncomfortable jolt, I know form personal experience
A. Don’t pee on one.
B. Don’t ask me now I know.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:53 pm
crazy2medic wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:37 pm Cattle hot wire won't kill you, it'll certainly give a very uncomfortable jolt, I know form personal experience
A. Don’t pee on one.
And don't fall for the "it's not even on" ruse, the thing fires in pulses and just touching it real fast won't get you shocked but you grab it and you won't do it again!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Back in my youth, we grabbed them to cure boredom.
NRA lifetime member

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

This is clearly an important issue:
(1) the device is not designed to cause, or known by the actor to create a substantial risk of causing, death or serious bodily injury
But I would claim, and I think this is a reasonable assumption, that electric fence chargers are "not designed to cause, or known by the actor to create a substantial risk of causing, death or serious bodily injury".

They are apparatus that the manufacturer knows will come into contact with people, usually by accident of course, and so they're designed to inflict some pain but not permanent damage nor death.

If my flag had twice been stolen, :mad5 I'd put one on it in a heartbeat and wait for the screaming. :patriot: :lol:: :anamatedbanana
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:53 pm
A. Don’t pee on one.
You must have had a big brother.

You can ask my little brother about peeing on them too.

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

A. Don’t pee on one.

That reminds me of what WiIl Rogers once said...
There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Topic author
striker55
Posts in topic: 4

Post by striker55 »

Okay putting up flag number 3. I'm thinking sew in the edge some razor blades, when I see the suspect with a bandaged hand, bingo! Wife is going to sew in a tracker but I think razor blades is better, maybe both.

flechero

Post by flechero »

I'd put up a game cam - maybe hide it on a gutter downspout of your neighbors, pointing your way. I think razorblades would certainly cross the above cited statutory line.

Return to “Off-Topic”