Does anybody have experience with Telegram?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BigGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BigGuy »

I saw a story on site called "Collective Evolution" about Zuckerberg being sued. The site asked me to follow them on "Telegram" where they were trying to repost everything the Zuck has banished from FB.
https://web.telegram.org/#/login

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Does anybody have experience with Telegram?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

No, but I received a telegram once back in the 1960s. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
BigGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BigGuy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:23 am No, but I received a telegram once back in the 1960s. :mrgreen:
:lol:

I was warned off of it on another forum.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

They want my phone number to log in. Not something I'm willing to do. I could give them a Biden's campaign number I guess.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

It is a secure chat/messaging app. It keeps no logs or records on calls and on "secret chats" with end to end encryption.

This article is from April 2019, but gives a basic understanding of it: https://www.androidauthority.com/what-i ... er-979357/

You can also read about it on Wikipedia for more information.

People not wanting to be tracked by government or by big tech seem to like this app - better than WhatsApp/ Wechat (Chinese communist monitored) . But so does Antifa as per Andy Gno (independent reporter who documents the movement and activities of Antifa). With end to end encryption unless they get the user to unlock the phone, the authorities are not going to get anything from this app. A user can also set up self destruct timers that will destroy the secret chats.

This can be used for both good and evil - it's just a tool. If things turn bad it might be a useful tool for secure communications between individuals.
Ron
NRA Member

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

I'm more willing to give telegram my # than any of the others. They don't keep any records and aren't run by lunatics like discord who actively ban peoples accounts for daring to disparage blm while actively condoning and even mildly supporting pedophiles. I use it for a group of people in my city that I'd like to be able to communicate with if something really bad were to happen.

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

rtschl wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:48 pm It is a secure chat/messaging app. It keeps no logs or records on calls and on "secret chats" with end to end encryption.

This article is from April 2019, but gives a basic understanding of it: https://www.androidauthority.com/what-i ... er-979357/

You can also read about it on Wikipedia for more information.

People not wanting to be tracked by government or by big tech seem to like this app - better than WhatsApp/ Wechat (Chinese communist monitored) . But so does Antifa as per Andy Gno (independent reporter who documents the movement and activities of Antifa). With end to end encryption unless they get the user to unlock the phone, the authorities are not going to get anything from this app. A user can also set up self destruct timers that will destroy the secret chats.

This can be used for both good and evil - it's just a tool. If things turn bad it might be a useful tool for secure communications between individuals.
I have heard that Iranian dissidents use Telegraph. I know to stay away from WhatsApp since it was acquired by Facebook, in a move that makes no sense.

Requiring a phone number is used to send a text to deliver a confirmation code. There really is no better way to establish that the account is real. It would be nice if they threw the number away after they got the confirmation code, but I doubt they do.

I use Signal occasionally. I don't know how they pay the bills.

Ditto on end-to-end encryption. Any encryption that relies on intermediation and certificate authorities such as T-L-S is broken. We use T-L-S because it's good enough.

Admin: T-L-S is showing up as [pre-paid legal]. Example: [pre-paid legal] . Weird.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

BigGuy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:44 pm Does anybody have experience with Telegram?
I saw a story on site called "Collective Evolution" about Zuckerberg being sued. The site asked me to follow them on "Telegram" where they were trying to repost everything the Zuck has banished from FB.
https://web.telegram.org/#/login
Our neighborhood defense team uses it.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Return to “Off-Topic”