Ruth Bader Ginsberg - dies 9.18.2020

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 9

Ruth Bader Ginsberg - dies 9.18.2020

Post by C-dub »

No link yet. Just announced on the news.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsberg - dies 9.18.2020

Post by crazy2medic »

I was just coming here to see if this was confirmed!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

With a Republican Senate, get ready for the left to lose their minds. What does everyone think the odds of the next SCOTUS Justice being confirmed before November 3?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Flightmare »

C-dub wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:56 pm With a Republican Senate, get ready for the left to lose their minds. What does everyone think the odds of the next SCOTUS Justice being confirmed before November 3?
Not very high. Even if a nomination were to be made before then, the democrats would stall until after the November election. Just my opinion.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Flightmare wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:38 pm
C-dub wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:56 pm With a Republican Senate, get ready for the left to lose their minds. What does everyone think the odds of the next SCOTUS Justice being confirmed before November 3?
Not very high. Even if a nomination were to be made before then, the democrats would stall until after the November election. Just my opinion.
My thoughts also, but since a simple majority is all that is needed to confirm and Mitch McConnell is basically in charge, it could get done pretty quick. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

I wonder if they really want to take the chance of not getting it done before election day, but I suppose they can still get it done afterward even if the senate gets flipped.

BTW, are you gonna be at breakfast at Rudy's tomorrow?

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

Flightmare wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:38 pm
This exactly

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

Fox News just read a statement from Senator McConnell that a Trump nominee WOULD receive a vote on the floor of the Senate. I have no reason to believe that the President is NOT going to make an nomination.

Several TV personalities have already predicted that if a nomination happens, it will be a supreme test of our institutions. Further, the prediction was made that the rancor in the last Supreme Court nomination would pale by comparison to this one. I'd add that the violence that we've seen so far will likely do the same.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

chasfm11 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:11 pm Fox News just read a statement from Senator McConnell that a Trump nominee WOULD receive a vote on the floor of the Senate. I have no reason to believe that the President is NOT going to make an nomination.

Several TV personalities have already predicted that if a nomination happens, it will be a supreme test of our institutions. Further, the prediction was made that the rancor in the last Supreme Court nomination would pale by comparison to this one. I'd add that the violence that we've seen so far will likely do the same.
Whatever violence the terrorists have planned, we can't give in.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

I have a problem with the hypocrisy that would be shown if they do make a nomination now. The Republicans held up a nomination for quite a long time because an election was close and they wanted to let the new president have a say (well, that was their stated reason). If they do a nomination this close, they would be showing that they were lying about it (which we all knew anyway).

The biggest tactical question is if the nomination is made now (or in October) how many votes would it cost Trump (and by extension all Republicans) in the election. I might be okay with losing the presidency for a SCOTUS appointment (though any appointment is really a guess how they will vote once on the court), but what if it gives the Democrats the presidency, control of the Senate, and control of the House?

I think the best bet is to wait until after the election. If they lose everything anyway, they can still get it done in November or December. If the win, they can take their time and make certain the right person is chosen.
Steve Rothstein

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Flightmare »

srothstein wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:24 pm I have a problem with the hypocrisy that would be shown if they do make a nomination now. The Republicans held up a nomination for quite a long time because an election was close and they wanted to let the new president have a say (well, that was their stated reason). If they do a nomination this close, they would be showing that they were lying about it (which we all knew anyway).

The biggest tactical question is if the nomination is made now (or in October) how many votes would it cost Trump (and by extension all Republicans) in the election. I might be okay with losing the presidency for a SCOTUS appointment (though any appointment is really a guess how they will vote once on the court), but what if it gives the Democrats the presidency, control of the Senate, and control of the House?

I think the best bet is to wait until after the election. If they lose everything anyway, they can still get it done in November or December. If the win, they can take their time and make certain the right person is chosen.
That is the discussion i was having on the phone earlier with a family member, and the exact argument I made.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

flechero

Post by flechero »

srothstein wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:24 pm I have a problem with the hypocrisy that would be shown if they do make a nomination now. The Republicans held up a nomination for quite a long time because an election was close and they wanted to let the new president have a say (well, that was their stated reason). If they do a nomination this close, they would be showing that they were lying about it (which we all knew anyway).
I would have agreed with you if the Dems had treated President Trump with any respect that the office deserves.... after what I have seen the last 3.5 years, I'd be all for stickin' it to them and jamming this one home. Especially considering that there are going to be some 2A cases coming up in the next few years and all the partisan maneuvering getting ready to take place.

strogg

Post by strogg »

flechero wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:31 pm
I would have agreed with you if the Dems had treated President Trump with any respect that the office deserves.... after what I have seen the last 3.5 years, I'd be all for stickin' it to them and jamming this one home. Especially considering that there are going to be some 2A cases coming up in the next few years and all the partisan maneuvering getting ready to take place.
I get it, but I am with srothstein with taking the high road on this. Even having the hearing take place before the election is 100% hypocrisy. The dems remember, and it will ultimately hurt the rhino vote come November if McConnell goes full steam ahead with what he just said. Even though the dems may be playing the devil's game, we must not sink so low. Besides, getting a nomination, hearing, and vote will be impossible to accomplish before November 3rd. We may as well wait until Trump gets reelected first.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Fox just replayed the clip from Mitch McConnell where he corrected the TV personality on this point. He said that if the Senate and the Presidency were held by two different parties, the vote should wait. If they were the same party, they had been given, by the voters, the approval to proceed. The Republican majority in the Senate was increased in 2018 and many Republicans ran on the Supreme Court nomination process.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

The 'expert' on Sean Hannity gave the average time it takes to get a nominee confirmed. Based on his estimate, it will not happen by 11/3/2020. It will be challenging to complete by 12/31/2020.

I am concerned that this will affect the Harris/Biden turnout, as well as, affecting the US riot level.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Ginsberg family and with the United States of America. May she rest in peace.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

chasfm11 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:11 pm I'd add that the violence that we've seen so far will likely do the same.
No negotiation with terrorist.

Return to “Off-Topic”