Woman tased at football scrimmage for not wearing a mask

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Woman tased at football scrimmage for not wearing a mask

Post by Killadocg23 »

chasfm11 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:37 pm [quote=Killadocg23 post_id=<a href="tel:1295129">1295129</a> time=<a href="tel:1601049207">1601049207</a> user_id=22639]
Play stupid games win stupid prizes. All she had to do was leave or put on a mask at a school event .All she had to do was follow the officers commands and she wouldn’t be in this situation. The lack of respect for law enforcement now a days is simply ridiculous.
I respectfully disagree. I don't believe, based on what is available in the information, that the officer issued were legal commands. He is empowered to enforce criminal tresspass but unless the Ohio law is different, someone in authority has to have told the officer that she was criminally trespassing. He cannot make that determination on his own. I'm willing to be that no school official did that. I could be wrong. He could have commanded her to strip naked and it would have been no more valid IMHO.https://statelaws.findlaw.com/ohio-law/ ... -laws.html
[/quote]

So you think the officer just walked up to the woman and tased her for no reason? Unbelievable how it’s blatant she wasnt complying and being disrespectful to LEO. All she literally had to do was leave or put the mask on! I literally can’t believe there are members defending her actions. Bad analogy comparing putting on a mask to stripping naked ,apple to oranges there. Like I said and will continue to say she is STUPID. Put the mask on or leave. Aren’t we on the side of respecting LEO? Like literally anybody with COMMON sense would have put the mask on or left. Let me guess if a cops pulls you over and ask to see your ID or get out of your car ,you are going to be rude and disrespectful to him and put up a fight ? I would hope I know that answer but based on the replies in this thread who knows.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 4

Post by chasfm11 »

Killadocg23 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:44 pm
So you think the officer just walked up to the woman and tased her for no reason? Unbelievable how it’s blatant she wasnt complying and being disrespectful to LEO. All she literally had to do was leave or put the mask on! I literally can’t believe there are members defending her actions. Bad analogy comparing putting on a mask to stripping naked ,apple to oranges there. Like I said and will continue to say she is STUPID. Put the mask on or leave. Aren’t we on the side of respecting LEO? Like literally anybody with COMMON sense would have put the mask on or left. Let me guess if a cops pulls you over and ask to see your ID or get out of your car ,you are going to be rude and disrespectful to him and put up a fight ? I would hope I know that answer but based on the replies in this thread who knows.
In Texas, and I suspect other places, there are reasons to not wear a mask that are legally recognized. In addition, I have this idea that the "punishment" should fit the crime. Trying to handcuff and jail someone for a small amount of weed is one. Some sort of problem like a mask is another. If they want to cite and fine her, fine. But going physical for a mask is beyond the pale for me. The solution for every legal infraction is not silver bracelets.

I have never been rude or disrespectful to an officer and cannot imagine myself doing that. I can calmly and respectfully say that I'm not complying. I consider myself to have common sense but depending on the circumstances, I wouldn't put on a mask either. As an example, there as a father playing with his daughter in a public park in Colorado. No one else was around but some "Karen" reported him and the cops showed up and cuffed. Him. I could have been that man. You don't get to extrapolate your own interpretation on the guidelines. Those guidelines in Texas say keep 6 feet away OR wear a mask. He was around noone. The woman was around noone but her family. I'm tried of the crap. i will resist.

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5F96193F
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

EP45
Posts in topic: 2

Sorry Long---Re: Woman tased at football scrimmage for not wearing a mask-

Post by EP45 »

Hello,

I just wanted to chime in my dos centavos. It appears that Alecia Kitts was watching her son’s middle school football game. She appears to be seated with an older woman to her right with a black shirt (I believe it is mentioned she is her mother). There is a child to the right of mother wearing a grey Puma shirt. On Alecia Kitts’s left is my guess, a teenage young man with a black shirt. Next to this young man is another child with a green shirt.

It appears to me that the 2 children are not wearing masks or at least not at all times. This may not be a problem in Ohio as I believe the mask mandate applies to children 10 and above; not a great estimator of children’s ages. Mother is definitely not wearing a mask “correctly”. Much of my information comes from https://www.wtap.com/2020/09/24/woman-r ... ogan-ohio/

It would appear that Ms. Kitts may have worn her mask to enter but took it off while in the bleachers. According to the above article, the resource officer was given the task to “make sure everyone is following CDC, Ohio Department of Health, Ohio Athletic Association and Logan Hocking School District guidelines”.

I would agree that Ms. Kitts was not wearing the mask in accordance with Ohio Mask Mandate and probably according to the school policy (I will speak about masks lower below as to not interject too much into this lengthy reading). I believe the resource officer has the right to insist she wear a mask or vacate the premises; I am open to the discussion as to whether this is a legitimate request and also how the resource office would go about getting the call/request to enforce the mask mandate.

Once Ms. Kitts refused to mask up or leave she would be in violation of trespass. At this point the resource officer attempted to arrest her for trespass whereupon she resisted arrest. This is where the tasing incident came in. I will admit, bad optics, for everyone involved. If Ms. Kitts was actually trying to make a statement about masks I could understand. In my opinion, she just wanted to be left alone and argue the mandate and probably thought she could get away.

I think everything would have been easier if she just put on her mask. Some confounders were the fact that Ms. Kitts claimed she could not wear a mask due to asthma. According what I have read from the Ohio mask mandate not wearing masks due to medical conditions is a legal exemption. Again, in my reading (not citing at this point), the school district requires advance notice of medical conditions.

The article above states, “The woman has been charged with criminal trespassing and released. Police say additional charges are pending against her and another woman involved”. It sounds like she was put in a police cruiser and released quickly. My guess the other woman being charged is her mother, for interfering with police duties?

I would have probably been wearing a mask or would have put one on. If not, I would have left the premises of my own accord. I generally do what LEO say even if I think it is wrong. Governor Mike DeWine and the Ohio Lt. Governor made statements and it sounded like a lot of local unrest on both sides of the issue; https://www.mariettatimes.com/news/2020 ... ball-game/

I have a few questions in the whole event:
1. The 2 children do not appear to have masks on at all times. I believe one is 5 years old and unsure about the other; no masks for children under 10 per Ohio Mask Mandate I believe. Were the children asked their ages and why not wearing masks?
2. It appears mother was helping her daughter Ms. Kitts and may be facing charges. Will she be facing charges for not wearing mask properly; in her case below the nose?
3. At one point, multiple videos, a young woman on a purple chair pulls down her mask to talk. Did they go back and talk to her about this?
4. Why doesn’t Logan PD give their officers KN95/N95 masks? His masks fell off (below his nose) in the confrontation. I also saw the picture of Officer Smith getting a mask donation on April 8, 2020 on the Logan PD Facebook page and standing to close to the young girl and without masks. This was before CDC recommendation I believe and probably not great with social distancing.

Again, I would have worn or put on my mask or have voluntarily left the premises. I completely understand the officer’s need to enforce laws; although bad optics at this point. It is amazing in our great country that small, dumb little incidents cause individuals to go crazy; in this case mask wearing. I also believe the resource officers time could have been spent on better and more productive things.

I would like to see what happens with this as an educational exercise. My guess is it will be pled down even more or possibly dropped. I did not include my views on masking (below).

Masking for Coronavirus
I like the majority on this website live in Texas. I have been to New Mexico but am under the same Texas Mask Mandates as everyone else. I believe that most entities want you to wear face coverings. Unfortunately, these cover the gamut from high grade N-95 down to neck gaiters. I actually walked into a restaurant with a plain cloth face mask for the first time in about 5 months. Before that I would exclusively wear a N-95. I did not have one in the car I was in so a plain cloth face mask.

I believe 99% that a good quality, non-defective N95 is your best protection for Coronavirus, TB, and other respiratory illnesses. I believe other face coverings to be about nearly more effective as an N95 down to more ineffective than no mask at all. I spend a large amount of time in a N95 and try first to stay about 6 feet or more from strangers. I just received a shipment of 20 3M N95 masks yesterday.

I also spend an amount of time at my house of worship around a majority of individuals who decline to mask. We do have one area where masks are required; actual room and bathrooms. It has been my experience that the majority of individuals wears plain face masks and keeps them on. There is a minority that wears the masks incorrectly.

I am still torn between mask mandates and how they should be implemented; e.g. if so important; why not have the Texas legislature pass some laws. Regardless, I believe N95 and other masks do work. I am iffy on KN95s and other face coverings. I pretty much respect the right of individuals to not wear a mask around me as long as they stay out of my 6 foot range; in which case I am probably moving. I also agree that individual businesses have the right to require masks. I definitely do not believe LEOs should be prioritizing mask wearing.

Just my 2 Centavos

EP45
Posts in topic: 2

Post by EP45 »

I would say that this story more accurate for arrest for not wearing mask.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavirus- ... riel-rench

flechero

Don't be so quick to judge others, get the facts.

Post by flechero »

Killadocg23 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:44 pm All she literally had to do was leave or put the mask on! I literally can’t believe there are members defending her actions.
That should have been the case but it wasn't. She wasn't given the option or warned ahead of time. (and she's an asthmatic, which in most places is a legitimate medical reason for no mask)

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2020/0 ... n=20200924

Kitts has asthma, and that is why she would not wear a mask. Kennedy also says that Kitts was never warned by the officer about not wearing a mask before being so abruptly arrested.

“There is no reason to tase someone and arrest them for not wearing a mask,” Kennedy said, according to the report.

Kennedy also noted that a female police officer who ran up to the scene was not wearing a mask and only put one on as she reached her fellow officer.

A child also suffered the effects of the taser, Kennedy said.

“Alecia’s mom said that when the officer tased her, the current went through the bleachers and zapped the kid sitting there too,
” she said.

PlatinumCouch
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PlatinumCouch »

I wonder how this would have played out had it been a White Officer and a Black Woman? Just sayin...
IMHO this is the kind of thing that makes a lot of people distrust law enforcement. Seems to me we do not have equal enforcement when it comes to infractions of these (laws?) situations. This is very bad optics for me and I believe others. This is just one incident among a sea of incidents. I do not like where MY country is heading. Just comply is the common Dogma, however I see day after day of how the law is enforced on some and not so much on others.
I carry, not because I hate what is in front of me, but because I love what is behind me.

Killadocg23

Re: Don't be so quick to judge others, get the facts.

Post by Killadocg23 »

flechero wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:03 am
Killadocg23 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:44 pm All she literally had to do was leave or put the mask on! I literally can’t believe there are members defending her actions.
That should have been the case but it wasn't. She wasn't given the option or warned ahead of time. (and she's an asthmatic, which in most places is a legitimate medical reason for no mask)

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2020/0 ... n=20200924

Kitts has asthma, and that is why she would not wear a mask. Kennedy also says that Kitts was never warned by the officer about not wearing a mask before being so abruptly arrested.

“There is no reason to tase someone and arrest them for not wearing a mask,” Kennedy said, according to the report.

Kennedy also noted that a female police officer who ran up to the scene was not wearing a mask and only put one on as she reached her fellow officer.

A child also suffered the effects of the taser, Kennedy said.

“Alecia’s mom said that when the officer tased her, the current went through the bleachers and zapped the kid sitting there too,
” she said.
She has asthma and shouldn’t wear a mask? I know several people that have asthma and wear mask fine every day when they go to establishments that REQUIRE people to wear mask. So not getting your point there. Did she have a doctors note saying she didn’t have to wear a mask? If that was the case she should have presented it when she first entered wearing the mask to get into the venue !

There is a mask mandate for the state of Ohio. Here again she knew she had to put on a mask to enter and decided to take it off after she got to her seat. She was tased and arrested for TRESSPASING.As simple as that and I’ll continue to say it again! She is STUPID and thought she was above the law for whatever reason. I don’t care what color she is, she could have been pink. She was asked to leave and resisted arrest. And she got what she deserved for being defiant and not respecting authority.

Leave the game or put the mask on ! I really am not understanding how some of your are arguing this lady’s actions. I guess that shows me your respect for police officers and that you too would be defiant and disrespect authority.

Now I am seeing the cop is getting death threats? No wonder this country we live in is the way it is now. No respect for authority at all!

flechero

Post by flechero »

Killadocg23 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:48 pm I really am not understanding how some of your are arguing this lady’s actions. I guess that shows me your respect for police officers and that you too would be defiant and disrespect authority.
Be honest, did you even read the articles? As a family member of LEO's I laughed out loud at your comment.

I did not justify her actions and would have acted very differently myself- but that doesn't justify the officer's actions... as it says in the story I linked EYEWITNESS reports she was not offered a chance to put on a mask or leave. She WAS [initially] arrested for not wearing one. The change to trespass was after the fact because it may have been the only thing that would have be legit when reviewing it. There was also no confirmation that she was asked by the school to mask up or leave. And that may very well negate the trespass charge.

And for the record, there are varying degrees of asthma, some people can't stay masked up for long. I didn't say she had a medical pass or told them upon entry- that info was not referenced.

flechero

Post by flechero »

PlatinumCouch wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:21 pm I wonder how this would have played out had it been a White Officer and a Black Woman? Just sayin...
it would have been a media storm!!

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

flechero wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:30 pm
Killadocg23 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:48 pm I really am not understanding how some of your are arguing this lady’s actions. I guess that shows me your respect for police officers and that you too would be defiant and disrespect authority.
Be honest, did you even read the articles? As a family member of LEO's I laughed out loud at your comment.

I did not justify her actions and would have acted very differently myself- but that doesn't justify the officer's actions... as it says in the story I linked EYEWITNESS reports she was not offered a chance to put on a mask or leave. She WAS [initially] arrested for not wearing one. The change to trespass was after the fact because it may have been the only thing that would have be legit when reviewing it. There was also no confirmation that she was asked by the school to mask up or leave. And that may very well negate the trespass charge.

And for the record, there are varying degrees of asthma, some people can't stay masked up for long. I didn't say she had a medical pass or told them upon entry- that info was not referenced.
:iagree:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

flechero wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:30 pm

We can go back and forth over this all day I respect your opinion and hope you respect mine. Point of the matter she resisted arrest. If she had common sense she wouldn’t have resisted She put her self in this predicament. Just comply and sue afterwards. She resisted a public officers command and got what she deserved for being combative. If it were me I would have peacefully complied and if I felt wrong was done unto me sue for wrongfully arrest. No fighting and cursing at the officer. As you said yourself you would have acted differently(which she should have in the first place). Also remeber in Ohio it is mandated to wear a mask. She resisted arrest and was dealt with accordingly.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Killadocg23 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:18 pm

We can go back and forth over this all day I respect your opinion and hope you respect mine. Point of the matter she resisted arrest. If she had common sense she wouldn’t have resisted She put her self in this predicament.
We agree on most of it, just a few minor differences and that may be the sources of what we each read. My big complaint all along (despite my sidebars) was how poorly it was handled by law enforcement, as it was reported they never give her a chance to comply or leave- it was only an arrest.

:tiphat:

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Paladin »

Earth to Ohio... you don't need a mask outdoors in the daylight. Coronavirus is a bat disease that lives in caves and buildings.

Was this just another BLM supporter doing his part to help "defund the police"?... because that is what it looks like.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Killadocg23 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:48 pmI guess that shows me your respect for police officers and that you too would be defiant and disrespect authority.
Are you sure you wanna go there?

I'm not sure I can defend his actions against this woman, but I am sure I can say that he should not be getting death threats from anyone over this. That is insane over the top.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have always been a proponent of "take the ride" and fight it in court later. Cops are simply making an arrest for what they perceive as an arrestable violation of the law. But then one has to ask. What do we do when the same cops come to confiscate our firearms?

Return to “Off-Topic”