PAR (Private Pilot Written) Exam Scheduled

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
clarionite
Posts in topic: 12

PAR (Private Pilot Written) Exam Scheduled

Post by clarionite »

I've scheduled my written exam for Wednesday. I took a Ground School class this weekend, and it really helped me grasp the concepts of those things I was struggling to understand from the books. On my practice tests I've taken over the past two days (4) I've never scored below mid 80's and those were almost entirely misreading the question. I only need a 70 to pass, but the higher my score is, the easier my check ride oral will be from what I've heard. They apparently add more content to the oral exam to verify you understand issues you failed on the written. So my goal is to get all my practice tests above 95 in the next two days. I've been doing my day job, a side contract (that funds the aviation addiction) and studying/classes so testing was rushed on my part. I'm going to slow myself down on the test and reread every question three times. Any other suggestions from those of you out there who've passed the PAR?

Topic author
clarionite

Re: PAR (Private Pilot Written) Exam Scheduled

Post by clarionite »

LDP wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:56 am Speaking of airspace questions, do not fall for the multiple choice question which offers 0 correct answers. :D
Just guess what mistake the FAA made in that question and answer what seems close.
While 70 is sufficient to pass, you should not accept it personally. If you are struggling with a chapter, re-read it, discuss it, find other resources. Struggling with a chapter on the ground is one thing. Struggling with it up there when you're all by yourself and don't have an answer is completely different. Not like you can google it up there (once you're several thousand feet AGL, there is no cell reception).
And of course, don't sweat the actual exam. You get plenty of time and also an old-timey calculator. And an E6B. ;)
I struggled with some of the stuff in the books. And my instructor, well he sucked. He's a great guy. Great to grab a beer with, or grab a beer. But he's not instructor material. I took a two day ground school with Aviation Seminars. Everything that I struggled with was simple once explained correctly. They gave me some great test taking pointers, looking for what they're wanting based on specific words in the question. He also pointed out two questions that were just wrong on the test, because the figures they reference were updated (one dealt with the height of a lighted tower)

I also struggled with reading METARs. Quick 3 minute run through and now it's plain as day. I'm not sure why Weather Depiction charts worried me before, they're simple. And finding all the relevant data that's crammed in a sectional is pretty difficult, but now I'm better versed.

Airspace class limits I've got now. But I want to hammer that in my head so they're second nature.

Topic author
clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Missed one in my practice test today that I almost emailed them about. It was about the type of VOR at an airport in the figure. There's an icon next to the name of the airport. it's a VORTAC symbol. But in the center of the circle the symbol is a VOR-DME symbol. So now I know to look at the symbol in the center.

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 1

Post by johncanfield »

I took an intensive weekend exam prep class and the last event was the written exam on Sunday at course end. The cram course worked well as I scored in the high 80s or low 90s. This was a long, long time ago, I have no idea if those are still available. I seriously doubt if I could have scored as well by self study on an intermittent basis.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AF-Odin »

Good luck and don't over think. My own PP written was almost 50 years ago, but since then I have instructed several students prior (and after) taking it. The Designated Examiner will probably ask about areas you missed, but will also ask quite a few other questions. FAA has specific emphasis areas that the DE will also want to hit. Keys to the checkride are prepare, prepare, and prepare more. USE your checklist. The DE is not looking to fail anyone, but wants to make sure that you are a SAFE pilot and can handle the aircraft to the level of the standards for your rating.

Not in my signature as the is a gun board, not an aviation board, but the letters following my name on those boards are CFII, ASEL, AMEL

Again good luck and let us know how it went.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
clarionite

Post by clarionite »

AF-Odin wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:13 pm Good luck and don't over think. My own PP written was almost 50 years ago, but since then I have instructed several students prior (and after) taking it. The Designated Examiner will probably ask about areas you missed, but will also ask quite a few other questions. FAA has specific emphasis areas that the DE will also want to hit. Keys to the checkride are prepare, prepare, and prepare more. USE your checklist. The DE is not looking to fail anyone, but wants to make sure that you are a SAFE pilot and can handle the aircraft to the level of the standards for your rating.

Not in my signature as the is a gun board, not an aviation board, but the letters following my name on those boards are CFII, ASEL, AMEL

Again good luck and let us know how it went.

I plan on getting my AGI. After my ASEL and IFR.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Good Luck!!
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

Good luck! After years of regretting that I haven't gotten my PPL when I was in a position to, I've finally decided to start working on it. Studying hard, then when I'm back in the USA work on medical then written then probably an accelerated flight training regimen.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

jrs_diesel

Post by jrs_diesel »

Good luck!

Getting my PPL has been something I've wanted for several years.

I've found a good aviation forum a few years ago, and they have a good thread with oral exam and check ride advice:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/communi ... ice.15706/
J.R.

Topic author
clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I passed the written yesterday. Now on to lots more flying.

Topic author
clarionite

Post by clarionite »

MadMonkey wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:46 pm Good luck! After years of regretting that I haven't gotten my PPL when I was in a position to, I've finally decided to start working on it. Studying hard, then when I'm back in the USA work on medical then written then probably an accelerated flight training regimen.
Let me know when you're ready, I have a couple of resources for both, your written and the accelerated training.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

clarionite wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:50 pm I passed the written yesterday. Now on to lots more flying.
Congrats! Now on to getting your hours and prepping for your check ride!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Off-Topic”