Richest people in the world 1990-2020

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BigGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Richest people in the world 1990-2020

Post by BigGuy »

I stumbled across this on the Face Place. I'm not smart enough to figure out what, if anything it actually means, but still found it interesting.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Richest people in the world 1990-2020

Post by srothstein »

It is interesting. To me, watching the names I know and how they made their money, it is a very interesting commentary on how the economy changes over time. I would have to look up the rest of the people and see what fields they are in to verify my initial impression, but the growth of technology over direct retail sales is interesting.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
BigGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BigGuy »

srothstein wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:20 pm It is interesting. To me, watching the names I know and how they made their money, it is a very interesting commentary on how the economy changes over time. I would have to look up the rest of the people and see what fields they are in to verify my initial impression, but the growth of technology over direct retail sales is interesting.
Yeah, I was surprised to see Wally world drop out of the picture. Up through the end of the 90s, it looked like it might wind up with the whole ball of wax.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Wealth is sometimes confused with Caash.

Bernie seems to purposely make this mistake a lot.

Most of these people have their wealth tied up in the stock they own. They would pay gigantic tax bills if they were to sell to have Caash.

Old friend always said it doesnt matter how rich you are, it’s how much Caash you have.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

philip964 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:03 pm Wealth is sometimes confused with Caash.

Bernie seems to purposely make this mistake a lot.

Most of these people have their wealth tied up in the stock they own. They would pay gigantic tax bills if they were to sell to have Caash.

Old friend always said it doesnt matter how rich you are, it’s how much Caash you have.
That is correct. It would still be nice to have that kind of wealth, but one can easily see that their wealth moves up and down with the value of the stocks they own. Truth of it is, not only would selling all their stock to have the cash result in a huge tax bill, it would also plummet the stocks they hold so much of. If word got out, and it would, that Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates were selling big chunks of stock, itwould crash the value before they could sell it all. I would be happy with just a thousand shares of Amazon stock. LOL. And Jeff could give it to me and not even notice the hit on his wealth.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

BigGuy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:47 pm
srothstein wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:20 pm It is interesting. To me, watching the names I know and how they made their money, it is a very interesting commentary on how the economy changes over time. I would have to look up the rest of the people and see what fields they are in to verify my initial impression, but the growth of technology over direct retail sales is interesting.
Yeah, I was surprised to see Wally world drop out of the picture. Up through the end of the 90s, it looked like it might wind up with the whole ball of wax.
The Waltons didn't lose any of their billions, They lost a lot of their fast growth when Sam died, and the family went from American Pride to Chinese junk. The family is just too stupid to recognize the coincidence, The others just increased their worth well beyond theirs. Warren Buffett is one notable that is not heavily into technology.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I'm not certain that the numbers are completely accurate. Somehow Paul Allen ranks highly and then Bill Gates pops up out of nowhere? That is not logical. A lot of these people specialize in hiding assets. The Rockefellers are the classic example:
In his book Outliers, author Malcolm Gladwell estimated the value of Rockefeller's fortune at its peak, in today's dollars, at $318.3 billion. You read that right: John D. Rockefeller, the founder of Standard Oil, was over three times richer than Bill Gates is today...

The sheer number of Rockefeller descendants clearly makes pegging the actual wealth of the family extremely difficult, if not impossible; with it mired in hundreds of trusts and real estate holdings (including, in the past, the World Trade Center and Rockefeller Center), we can merely guess
Fox 2016
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

DEB

Post by DEB »

Yep, my name still isn't there. Aw well, maybe next year. Naw, never going to happen.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

Return to “Off-Topic”