Obama supports national law against concealed carry

This is the place for discussion of topics specifically addressing the 2008 federal elections.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SJRTX

Obama supports national law against concealed carry

Post by SJRTX »

Thats what this CNN article says anyway. Cant say Im surprised.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/15/ ... index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The battle over the word "bitter" between Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton has sparked a new look at the candidates and their stance on the Second Amendment.

Guns are on display at Ace Guns in Washington, Pennsylvania.

At a closed-door fundraiser just over a week ago, the Illinois senator referred to some small-town Pennsylvanians as "bitter" people who "cling to guns and religion."

"I didn't say it as well as I should have," Obama admitted in Muncie, Indiana, on Saturday, the day after he first defended his comments, "because the truth is that these traditions that are passed on from generation to generation -- those are important."

Clinton, speaking at the Compassion Forum on Sunday, said those remarks about some could be seen as "elitist" and "patronizing." Video Watch Clinton discuss the controversy »

But those words -- specifically on people who "cling to guns" -- have allowed a Second Amendment debate to surface during the 2008 election.

In terms of policy, there's not much to separate Clinton and Obama on the issue of guns. Both would restrict gun purchases to one a month -- and both want to renew the assault weapons ban.

But policy and politics don't always mesh perfectly.

Clinton recently touted her experience with guns as a young child.

"You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl," Clinton said in Valparaiso, Indiana, on Saturday.

"Some people now continue to teach their children and their grandchildren. It's part of culture. It's part of a way of life. People enjoy hunting and shooting because it's an important part of who they are. Not because they are bitter." Video Watch Clinton discuss guns »

A visibly agitated Obama accused Clinton on Sunday of acting like "Annie Oakley ... packin' a six-shooter" in her attempts to connect with gun owners.

"She's running around talking about how this is an insult to sportsmen, how she values the Second Amendment," he said, his voice rising. "She's talking like she's Annie Oakley! Hillary Clinton's out there like she's on the duck blind every Sunday, [like] she's packin' a six-shooter! C'mon! She knows better." Video Watch more of Obama's remarks »

But this isn't the first time in the primary race that the New York senator has spoken about unloading some shotgun shells.

At her first campaign stop in Wisconsin on February 16, Clinton told an audience at The Brat Stop in Kenosha about her childhood hunting experience.

"You know you may not believe it, but I've actually gone hunting," she said during a riff about gun control and protecting the Second Amendment. "I know, you may not believe it, but it's true. My father taught me to shoot a hundred years ago."

But all the back-and-forth between the two Democratic candidates is doing little to further the gun debate. Video Watch more on the "bitter" battle »

A gun control group, however, hopes a new ad campaign will.

Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a group co-chaired by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, plans to spend more than $1 million to air a television ad beginning this week urging Congress to close a loophole by forcing buyers at gun shows to undergo a federal background check.

The ad, which will air in Pennsylvania, New York, Arizona, Maryland and Florida, features clips from all three major presidential candidates.

"I'll be on your side for closing the gun show loophole," Clinton says. "Crack down on them. Close the gun show loopholes," Obama says.

And McCain adds, "Convicted criminals have been able to buy and sell thousands of guns at gun shows because of a loophole in the law. Close the loophole."

The issue has been a minefield for Democrats running for president.

Back in 2000, former Vice President Al Gore pushed for tougher gun laws and lost.

"The perception was that Al Gore's troubles in small towns and rural communities was based on the perception he was going to be tougher on gun laws than any other candidate," said Amy Walter, editor of National Journal's "The Hotline."

And now in 2008, both Democrats are careful to voice support for the Second Amendment.

"There is not a contradiction between protecting the Second Amendment rights of Americans and figuring out how we can keep, for example, assault weapons off the street," Clinton said on Saturday.

Clinton has been a supporter of gun control during her time in office. She voted for a 10-year extension of the assault weapons ban and voted for requiring extensive background checks at gun shows.

She also supports licensing and registration of handguns, mandatory trigger locks for handguns, holding adults responsible for their children's use of guns, raising the youth handgun ban from age 18 to 21, limiting gun sales to one per month and allowing the Consumer Products Safety Commission regulate guns. Read more about the candidates' positions on guns

Obama, meanwhile, supports extending the assault weapons ban; supports a national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel; and supports limiting gun sales to one per month.

But promises by all the candidates to protect the fundamental right to gun ownership won't impress the gun lobby.

The National Rifle Association gave both Clinton and Obama an "F" on gun policies.

The NRA hardly spared McCain, giving him a C+ in their assessment.

While McCain is occasionally asked about the subject, he remains quiet on specifics -- and rarely talks unprompted about either God or guns on the stump.

The Arizona senator sponsored legislation requiring background checks at gun shows, voted against a 10-year extension of the assault weapons ban and opposed legislation requiring trigger locks for handguns.

McCain also opposed the 1994 crime bill, which contained the assault weapons ban.
Last edited by SJRTX on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdickens
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Obama supports nation law against concealed carry

Post by bdickens »

Do these morons ever read the laws they themselves pass? Last time I bought a gun at a gun show, I had to fill out the NICS form ans wait while they submited it.
Byron Dickens

LarryH

Re: Obama supports nation law against concealed carry

Post by LarryH »

bdickens wrote:Do these morons ever read the laws they themselves pass? Last time I bought a gun at a gun show, I had to fill out the NICS form ans wait while they submited it.
The "loophole" refers to purchasing a gun from a private individual (not a dealer).

stevie_d_64

Re: Obama supports national law against concealed carry

Post by stevie_d_64 »

But he's all for the future, and change...and...and...hope! Yeah, hope!

"Don't tell yo mama, you voted [abbreviated profanity deleted] Obama!"
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
SJRTX

Post by SJRTX »

Yeah, a national law against concealed carry would qualify as change.

Whoever started the phrase "change is good" must have been on crack (or something equally stupefying).

Highlander

Post by Highlander »

yikes...

hey SJ, did you post this over on placeholder?

Topic author
SJRTX

Post by SJRTX »

Why, so the obama cultists can completely divert the the thread into an argument about Bush, or something else equally irrelevant? I just let morons be morons. Besides, the ones who would be affected by this, wouldnt be voting for Osama anyway.

AEA
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AEA »

Why doesn't some reporter or moderator (Debate) or SOMEONE ask this fool Point Blank if he will support lawful gun owner's rights to keep and bear arms FOR PERSONAL DEFENSE and make him answer with a "Yes" or "NO"?

Thereby eliminating all the confusion and his usual circumventing of the true subject.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

AEA wrote:Why doesn't some reporter or moderator (Debate) or SOMEONE ask this fool Point Blank if he will support lawful gun owner's rights to keep and bear arms FOR PERSONAL DEFENSE and make him answer with a "Yes" or "NO"?

Thereby eliminating all the confusion and his usual circumventing of the true subject.
Probably because that way of framing the issue, exposing what is in fact the true core value and intent behind the 2A, is not on the typical reporter/pundit's radar screen.

I would love to see this question put to all of the candidates.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that Obama is a "fool" just because he appears to endorse a meaningless individual rights stance on the 2A. ("It's an individual right, but one that local governments can ban if they want to.") He, and Hillary, and the rest of the gun ban movement, are many things, but they are not fools. They know exactly what they are saying and why.

Just like when you hear someone like Rick Perry call for the elimination of gun free zones, you can be sure he isn't just blurting it out by accident. He too knows what he is saying.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

AEA

Post by AEA »

Understood........

I was incorrect......he is certainly not a FOOL........
His answers are by design and his spiel eliminates a direct answer to any question.
1911's RULE!

mondo2000

Post by mondo2000 »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:Just like when you hear someone like Rick Perry call for the elimination of gun free zones, you can be sure he isn't just blurting it out by accident. He too knows what he is saying.
If Rick Perry gets this done, then I nominate him for president.

AEA

Post by AEA »

We will see if he sticks with it in 2009.
1911's RULE!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

AEA wrote:We will see if he sticks with it in 2009.
Perry will be the least of our concerns in this battle
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Federal - 2008”