2 + 2 = 5

This is the place for discussion of topics specifically addressing the 2008 federal elections.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
boomerang
Posts in topic: 2

2 + 2 = 5

Post by boomerang »

Can anyone explain the Dem delegate math or link to a website? I read the wikipedia entry but was still confused.

I understand the half vote compromise for Florida and Michigan. (shouldn't it be 3/5? :lol: )

What I don't understand is it looks like the number of delegates for the remaining primaries (today and tues) is less than the number Clinton needs to get the nomination. If that's true, then why doesn't Obama have enough to win? Something doesn't add up unless they're using some kind of New Deal Math.

Help?
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Liko81
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 2 + 2 = 5

Post by Liko81 »

boomerang wrote:Can anyone explain the Dem delegate math or link to a website? I read the wikipedia entry but was still confused.

I understand the half vote compromise for Florida and Michigan. (shouldn't it be 3/5? :lol: )

What I don't understand is it looks like the number of delegates for the remaining primaries (today and tues) is less than the number Clinton needs to get the nomination. If that's true, then why doesn't Obama have enough to win? Something doesn't add up unless they're using some kind of New Deal Math.

Help?
Democrat math is screwy, I'll grant you. Basically, the Dems have Superdelegates, which are usually infuential figures in the DNC. They are not elected through the primary process and are only loosely told who to vote for through that process; they can choose either candidate. Though Obama has the majority and Clinton cannot clinch the delegate count, neither candidate has enough ordinary delegates behind them to ensure a victory if the Superdelegates were to change allegiances. Therefore, Clinton really is still in it; she's just no longer pandering to the people, but the DNC itself.

Topic author
boomerang
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 2 + 2 = 5

Post by boomerang »

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe this will go all the way to convention. :lol:
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Return to “Federal - 2008”