AR15 80% Lower Group Buy

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
dcphoto
Posts in topic: 20

Re: AR15 80% Lower Group Buy

Post by dcphoto »

Rex B wrote:Will these be black anodized or bare?
Bare. If you attend a build party you'll have an opportunity to duracoat it if you bring the paint.

ajb1968
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ajb1968 »

I am in for two. I just want to complete the stripped lowers and I will figure out what to build later. I am really looking forward on learning how to do this!

NorthTexas

Post by NorthTexas »

I'm in, PM sent.
NRA Life Member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Dates and logistics will make a difference for my go/no-go decision.
Any possibility of confirming dates and whether or not there will be a DFW option before closing the buy window?

In a perfect world, I'd prefer to make the trip to Austin... Why not.?
But with family, work and volunteer commitments, I'm a bit worried about committing to the parts and then not being able to make the build-out event.

Sorry to be a wet blanket. Not my intention.
Much appreciation for the effort being put in on this.

TIA.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

RoyGBiv wrote:Dates and logistics will make a difference for my go/no-go decision.
Any possibility of confirming dates and whether or not there will be a DFW option before closing the buy window?

In a perfect world, I'd prefer to make the trip to Austin... Why not.?
But with family, work and volunteer commitments, I'm a bit worried about committing to the parts and then not being able to make the build-out event.

Sorry to be a wet blanket. Not my intention.
Much appreciation for the effort being put in on this.

TIA.
No dates for events yet, and nobody has stepped forward to host a DFW event. I don't want to commit to build dates until I have parts on hand. There will have to be several different dates since I can't support more than 2-3 people a day. If everybody who was interested in the first thread signs up, we'll end up with 3-5 days. We should be able to work something out that fits your schedule.

More than likely the build days will be in February and March. Anybody who is planning on Duracoat will want a date in March since temps need to be above 70 degrees, and dry weather, to get a good application. It can be done cold and wet, but it's much easier to get good results when it's warm and dry.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 7

Post by LDB415 »

Where does one get Duracoat? I've thought about leaving it unfinished and having one of the most unique looking rifles at the range but I'm not sure if I want it to stand out that much or not.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Topic author
dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

Lots of places sell it, but I normally get it from http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com. I don't think they're the cheapest, but they carry the full line of Duracoat. Brownells and Midway also carry Duracoat.

You will need the Duracoat (comes with hardener), Tru-Strip, and a small bottle of Duracoat Reducer. It's also not a bad idea to bring a can or two of brake cleaner. I've gotten the best results by degreasing with brake cleaner, then removing the brake cleaner with Tru-Strip.

Full disclosure, if you decide you want to apply a camo pattern I can't help beyond mixing and shooting the paint. I've never done a camo pattern.

Topic author
dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

Hey y'all, time's ticking away. Get your name in the pot while you can! ;-)

ronin

Post by ronin »

Can these be built as pistols? I would assume so but I know what happens when I assume.

Topic author
dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

ronin wrote:Can these be built as pistols? I would assume so but I know what happens when I assume.
Absolutely!

LAYGO
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LAYGO »

dcphoto wrote: No dates for events yet, and nobody has stepped forward to host a DFW event. I don't want to commit to build dates until I have parts on hand.
What's your ideal setup to need a DFW date? How many people?
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Topic author
dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

LAYGO wrote:
dcphoto wrote: No dates for events yet, and nobody has stepped forward to host a DFW event. I don't want to commit to build dates until I have parts on hand.
What's your ideal setup to need a DFW date? How many people?
I need a well lit, relatively empty, garage or workshop with two separate 115v outlets. A sturdy workbench and air compressor is helpful, but not required. I can host 2-4 people in an 8 hour period, but it really depends on how many lowers are getting finished. I figure 2-3 hours per person for 2 lowers. I'll want to get a couple of multiple person build days under my belt before I schedule a remote build day. Probably the end of February or beginning of March for a remote day.

LAYGO
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LAYGO »

Interesting article, albeit not very useful for our situation, about 80% lowers as far as the ATF is concerned:
http://www.guns.com/2014/11/11/atf-issu ... ification/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

tiviti
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tiviti »

I'm in.

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

dcphoto,

I assume you will be collecting funds in advance??? Can you share your plans in this regard?

Thanks for doing this...

gljjt

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”