Visiting a CMP Store

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Visiting a CMP Store

Post by oohrah »

Anybody have any experience visiting a Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) store? I'm going to have an opportunity next month to visit one of the Alabama stores, and curious what to expect. I've read all the eligibility criteria and I qualify. I want to get an M1 Garand.

They will also do a background check. I guess a License To Carry will not have any weight with them. Do they do the NCIS check the same day so I can walk in and out? Or do they still require to ship to my address? I'll call the store for info, but just curious about any prior experiences. Thanks.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Visiting a CMP Store

Post by Paladin »

I've never been to the store, but CMP is certainly worth it. TSRA is an affiliate organization

How do I become a member of the CMP?
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

Some additional info: CMP Purchase Eligibility Requirements
...You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship-related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures.
Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:
Concealed Carry License
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

cirus

Post by cirus »

They're closed right now trying to catch up on mail orders. Might be open next month.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Give them a call to make sure they are open and what things they have in stock. I went to the one at Camp Perry in 2005 and got two Remington 03A3s and a Field Grade Springfield Garand. Went to the one in Anniston in 2006 and picked up a pair of Springfield 03s and a Service Grade Springfield Garand as well as a lot of Greek .30-06. Armorers will help you inspect and tell you what to look for. Like a previous poster stated, TX LTC will not let you bypass their NICS check. Make sure you have your documentation with you. Also as stated, membership in TSRA qualifies as a "CMP Affiliated Club." Good luck
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Last I heard pickins' are pretty thin at the stores. Very glad I mail ordered my M1 when I did. Only regret is not ordering more than one...
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

I visited the Talladega store last year in July. On a Saturday. I was in Birmingham for work and had the weekend off, so thought I'd visit.

Really nice place. Huge building, the sales store is inside, a smaller part of the facility.

I drooled over the outdoor shooting range.

The store was very nice, and the two people inside very friendly. They did make me wear a mask and put on rubber gloves before I could pick up anything. I went in with my own mask, they had gloves in a box outside the store.

Nice selection of 1903s and a few M1 Garands on the racks.

I had previously bought an M1 Garand by mail order (a couple years earlier), and they told me that my paperwork they already had on file and my LTC would be enough that I could buy anything (except 1911) and walk out with it then. I checked with my brother to see if he wanted a Garand, but he didn't have the funds right then.

I don't know what requirements they would want if I wasn't already in their system. A call to them first would be wise.

Overall, a really nice experience. Definitely worth the drive. And some really good BBQ in Talladega.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”