Changing my SD rifle ammo...

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Changing my SD rifle ammo...

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:33 pm I went to 55gr soft points a long time ago for this reason. They have a good rep for blowing up in the target and over penetrating less. And they penetrate walls even less than most other .223 bullets …which penetrate walls less than 9mm bullets do. I can’t seem to find it right now (although I’ve posted it here before), but Reid Henrich posted a YouTube video a few years ago demonstrating the effect of different handgun and rifle bullets on an actual house that was prepped for demotion. It was instructive.

I want to say that, short of using frangible ammo, I don’t think it is possible to fire a gun inside a house and 100% guarantee that bullets won’t punch through walls unintentionally from time to time.
I found the video I mentioned above. It has some real world ballistic effects for home defense ammo choices.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”