Difficult Bolt Lift on Savage Model 110

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 3

Difficult Bolt Lift on Savage Model 110

Post by Crash »

I bought a Savage Model 110 in 6.5 Creedmoor from Walmart a few months and the bolt is extremely difficult to lift. I thought that it might just be a break-in problem, so I cycled the bolt 1,000 (yep, 1,000--not a typo) times with Snap Caps, but that didn't help. Anybody else have this problem, or did I just get a lemon? I'm going to take it to a gunsmith and see if he can figure out/fix the problem.

Crash

equin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Difficult Bolt Lift on Savage Model 110

Post by equin »

Sorry to hear about your issue. I have a Savage “Trophy Hunter” in .30-06 that I bought about 7 years ago (don’t remember if it’s a 110 or a 111, and don’t really know the difference between the two). Anyway, the bolt action on mine is smooth and flawless. So my guess is that yours shouldn’t be troublesome as you’ve described.

I will say that my old Mosin 90/30’s bolt action is comparatively tough to cycle, but I understand many of those old Mosins can be like that. But in your case, I don’t think the Savage bolt actions (whether 110 or 111) are supposed to have rough or difficult bolts actions.

I would call Savage’s customer service and ask them about it. Either way, please keep us posted on how it turns out.
Ed

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Crash wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:22 pm I bought a Savage Model 110 in 6.5 Creedmoor from Walmart a few months and the bolt is extremely difficult to lift. I thought that it might just be a break-in problem, so I cycled the bolt 1,000 (yep, 1,000--not a typo) times with Snap Caps, but that didn't help. Anybody else have this problem, or did I just get a lemon? I'm going to take it to a gunsmith and see if he can figure out/fix the problem.

Crash
My son has a Model 10FP-HS Precision in .308. My understanding is that the Savage Model 10 is the short action version of the 110…I think…but that they are otherwise the same action. Both my son and I experienced difficult bolt lift on on occasion with his rifle. It turned out on closer inspection with a light while cleaning it that a small piece of paper had gotten wedged into a bolt lug recess in the receiver, making the bolt lockup so tight that it was difficult to lift the bolt handle after firing. Discovering and removing that little piece of paper solved the problem.

I don’t know what the odds are of that happening to someone else, but it’ll only take a minute or two to see if that’s the problem with your rifle.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Crash wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:22 pm I bought a Savage Model 110 in 6.5 Creedmoor from Walmart a few months and the bolt is extremely difficult to lift. I thought that it might just be a break-in problem, so I cycled the bolt 1,000 (yep, 1,000--not a typo) times with Snap Caps, but that didn't help. Anybody else have this problem, or did I just get a lemon? I'm going to take it to a gunsmith and see if he can figure out/fix the problem.

Crash
I have the exact same rifle, but mine is only "tight".

If you have the patience, dry it off fully and coat with graphite dry lubricant, then dry fire a break it again. The graphite will smooth any ridges causing the issue.

As I said, mine is only tight, but it is barely within the acceptable range for me.

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:58 pm

Crash
My son has a Model 10FP-HS Precision in .308. My understanding is that the Savage Model 10 is the short action version of the 110…I think…but that they are otherwise the same action. Both my son and I experienced difficult bolt lift on on occasion with his rifle. It turned out on closer inspection with a light while cleaning it that a small piece of paper had gotten wedged into a bolt lug recess in the receiver, making the bolt lockup so tight that it was difficult to lift the bolt handle after firing. Discovering and removing that little piece of paper solved the problem.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I will definitely check out the receiver to see if there's anything stuck in there. Thanks for your help.

Crash

I don’t know what the odds are of that happening to someone else, but it’ll only take a minute or two to see if that’s the problem with your rifle.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Late to the party here but I have a 110 in 30.06. Had the same issue with extreme tightness. After a thorough cleaning and inspection, I found a small burr on the bolt notch of the receiver. Small nail file took care of the issue
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

RPBrown wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:22 am Late to the party here but I have a 110 in 30.06. Had the same issue with extreme tightness. After a thorough cleaning and inspection, I found a small burr on the bolt notch of the receiver. Small nail file took care of the issue
Thanks, appreciate the info. I'll check mine out for that tomorrow.

Crash

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”