Pictures of your "Black Guns"

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Pictures of your "Black Guns"

Post by Skiprr »

LCplMustafa wrote:I've been looking at a POF 308, but I haven't heard too much about it. The local dealers don't know anything about it either. I've read the website, and checked a couple other forums, but I am hoping someone here has an opinion on them. http://www.pof-usa.com
I had a chance to shoot one early this month, and I confess I've thought about ordering one every day since. It's a war between my frugal conscience and the fact that I really really want one. :shock:

It was an absolutely beautifully made gun, and a dream to shoot. The gas piston action renders the .308 recoil to little more than a .223; fast follow-up shots are no more difficult to keep on target than with the much lighter rounds. The one I shot had the PRS stock and--I think--the 16.5" barrel. The trigger was light with a very clean break and short reset. The rifle was new to the owner, so I have no firsthand experience about the durability and reliability...but I will say that 10 of us shot the gun that day, multiple rounds and on the move, and it functioned perfectly.

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying one: it isn't an inexpensive rifle; stocking up on .308 ammo will be more expensive than maintaining my stock of .223; I absolutely know I'll spend another $800-$1,000 on optics; and I don't know how often I'd get a chance to take it out and run it.

I dunno. I still want one...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

ShilohShooters
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ShilohShooters »

Oh come on Skip, indulge us all and go ahead and get it...I can personally guarantee you that you will never be lacking a range partner! That thing sure was fun to shoot wasn't it?! :fire
Target hangers are not targets.

Tajovo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tajovo »

"Bushy", nothing fancy but it gets the job done.

LCplMustafa
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LCplMustafa »

The POF rifles certainly aren't cheap, and at the end of the day it is looking like it could approach 4 grand to get the rifle I want with the optics and accessories I'm going for. After hearing about the lethality issues time and time again with regards to the .223, I wouldn't feel right getting anything less that the .308. And if you get too much larger it stops being practical. Well, unless you hunt large game, like elephants and SUVs. Exactly how many rounds do you keep 'stocked' Skiprr?
It is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. But if you eat enough ice cream, you might have to get 12 guys to carry you.

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

Here's my AR. My AK should be in this week to add to my EBRs.

ScubaSigGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

Skiprr wrote:
LCplMustafa wrote:I've been looking at a POF 308, but I haven't heard too much about it. The local dealers don't know anything about it either. I've read the website, and checked a couple other forums, but I am hoping someone here has an opinion on them. http://www.pof-usa.com
I had a chance to shoot one early this month, and I confess I've thought about ordering one every day since. It's a war between my frugal conscience and the fact that I really really want one. :shock:

It was an absolutely beautifully made gun, and a dream to shoot. The gas piston action renders the .308 recoil to little more than a .223; fast follow-up shots are no more difficult to keep on target than with the much lighter rounds. The one I shot had the PRS stock and--I think--the 16.5" barrel. The trigger was light with a very clean break and short reset. The rifle was new to the owner, so I have no firsthand experience about the durability and reliability...but I will say that 10 of us shot the gun that day, multiple rounds and on the move, and it functioned perfectly.

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying one: it isn't an inexpensive rifle; stocking up on .308 ammo will be more expensive than maintaining my stock of .223; I absolutely know I'll spend another $800-$1,000 on optics; and I don't know how often I'd get a chance to take it out and run it.

I dunno. I still want one...
Skippr,

I have been looking for a .308 with a 16.5" barrel myself. I would love to hear your personal review of this rifle so that my decision will be easier :lol: .

If you need somone to help you break it in I am sure that there won't be a shortage of volunteers :cool: .

Can't wait to see pics when you get it. What optics are you considering?
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

LCplMustafa

Post by LCplMustafa »

Well, I took the plunge, and ordered myself a POF-308.... I'm gonna wait for a couple paychecks before I splurge on my optics, Master the iron sites before the optics, walk before you run, spending too much money anyway. One of those reasons.
It is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. But if you eat enough ice cream, you might have to get 12 guys to carry you.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Skiprr »

LCplMustafa wrote:Well, I took the plunge, and ordered myself a POF-308.
:clapping: Wonderful! I still haven't convinced myself to order one, but your firsthand experience with it will make a difference.

Looking forward to range report and review.

And since I either didn't see or forgot to answer ScubaSigGuy's question, now we can both ask you: What are you thinking about for optics?

I have a feeling I'd stick with EOTech because I have a 552 I could swap to the new rifle. But I'd definitely want to pick up one of their magnifiers and the flip-to-side mount. The 4x is almost twice the price of the 3x, so I might go with the lower magnification. An Aimpoint CompM4 with a magnifier would be sweet, but I figure that setup would run about $1,300. Since I think I can pick up the EOTech 3x magnifier and base for under $400, I think I could find something else to do with the other 900 bucks.

Oh yeah: Post pics when you get the rifle. Maybe we'll need to start a POF shooters sub-forum. ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

ScubaSigGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

I am trying to decide between the POF in .308 or the new Barret M468 in 6.8 SPC. The Barret is pricey as well, but the ballistics on the 6.8 are pretty hard to beat.

Skiprr,

I think I'm with you on the Comp M4. I just mounted an ACOG on another rifle, but I think I like the Aimpoint better. Along another line, the Leupold CQT looke pretty nice too.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

LCplMustafa

Post by LCplMustafa »

I've been impressed again and again by the trijicon ACOGs durability. Probably one of the x3 ACOGs. I used to work in the same compound as the trijicon folks, so I'm going to see if I can't get one of my old co-workers to see what the price is for folks walking in their office. I've seen those take plenty of abuse, and still work great. But, if anyone has anything against the ACOG, let me know... I'm pretty openminded. Additionally, if anyone know someone who is giving away a bunch of .308 rds, let me know.

Topic author
longhorn_92
Posts in topic: 20

Post by longhorn_92 »

LCplMustafa wrote:I've been impressed again and again by the trijicon ACOGs durability. Probably one of the x3 ACOGs. I used to work in the same compound as the trijicon folks, so I'm going to see if I can't get one of my old co-workers to see what the price is for folks walking in their office. I've seen those take plenty of abuse, and still work great. But, if anyone has anything against the ACOG, let me know... I'm pretty openminded. Additionally, if anyone know someone who is giving away a bunch of .308 rds, let me know.

I was looking at the Leoupold CQT - not really sure.....the ACOG TA31 DOC looks worthy to be discussed more - anyone have experience with this one? The price is a little high ?.....
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

melkor41
Posts in topic: 4

Post by melkor41 »

First AR Hot off the vice as of 5 minutes ago :woohoo

Now to start building the second one :anamatedbanana Its a sickness, and i give in.

Just waiting for some optics and a BUIS to come in for it. I have a NC Star Reflex red/green I can throw on it now that I got in part of a trade.

DPMS BCG
DPMS A3 Upper
DPMS Charging Handle
DPMS Lower + LPK
DPMS 6 Pos. CAR stock
ER Shaw EM-4 16" Barrel
Model 1 1913 Gas Block
YHM 4 rail free float
Phantom 5CS Comp/Flash Hider
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

M9FAN

Post by M9FAN »

Here's my three-week-old Bushmaster.

And here's my HD shotgun (Defender 1300):

Last edited by M9FAN on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

DoubleActionCHL

Post by DoubleActionCHL »

I just added this one to my gun safe:

I'll post up pictures of mine soon.

http://www.doubleactionchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Houston, Texas

"Excuses are for tombstones. Get back in the fight."
--Me

LCplMustafa

Post by LCplMustafa »

I've been looking at home defense shotguns that don't have a buttstock, just a pistol grip. Anybody have any opinion about it?

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”