Tactical Shotgun (FN TPS abbreviated Range Report)

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
DoubleActionCHL
Posts in topic: 6

Tactical Shotgun (FN TPS abbreviated Range Report)

Post by DoubleActionCHL »

I'm preparing to purchase a tactical shotgun to use for training purposes and possibly home defense. I've somewhat narrowed my choices to the following:

FN TPS

Remington 870

Mossberg 590

I'm leaning towards the FN TPS. Does anyone have any comments on these, or other suggestions? My budget is about $800 tops.

Thanks!
Last edited by DoubleActionCHL on Wed May 07, 2008 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

http://www.doubleactionchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Houston, Texas

"Excuses are for tombstones. Get back in the fight."
--Me

KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Tactical Shotgun Recommendations

Post by KinnyLee »

You can't go wrong with any of the three.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the FN shotguns are based off of Winchesters.

Tons of parts and upgrade on the Remy 870.

And 590 being the only drop safe shotgun out of the three with the tang mounted safety.
That's good and bad, being good: it's drop safe. Bad: you can't manipulate it too well with a pistol grip stock installed.

Topic author
DoubleActionCHL

KinnyLee wrote:You can't go wrong with any of the three.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the FN shotguns are based off of Winchesters.

And 590 being the only drop safe shotgun out of the three with the tang mounted safety.
That's good and bad, being good: it's drop safe. Bad: you can't manipulate it too well with a pistol grip stock installed.
I like the FN because it comes already equipped with the telescoping stock, AR-style sights (although I'll probably throw an Eotech on it) and rails. I thought the FNs were akin to Browning, but what do I know. The Remington and Mossberg are considerably cheaper than the FN, but will require some upgrades, so I'll probably end up spending about the same when it's all said and done.

Houston, Texas

--Me

fm2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by fm2 »

An instructor @ Rogers shooting school has seen the FN's make it through their shotgun course regularly and recommends them. Another one, that's not on your list, is the Win. 1300 that does well also. I think I have a post about his recommendations if you search for it.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

DoubleActionCHL wrote:
KinnyLee wrote:You can't go wrong with any of the three.

I like the FN because it comes already equipped with the telescoping stock, AR-style sights (although I'll probably throw an Eotech on it) and rails. I thought the FNs were akin to Browning, but what do I know. The Remington and Mossberg are considerably cheaper than the FN, but will require some upgrades, so I'll probably end up spending about the same when it's all said and done.

You could be right about it being a Browning.
And for the money you spend upgrading the other two, it would be equal in price as a FN. I've probably spent $700 on my 870, but it is one sweet shooter. :mrgreen:

Tactical_Texan_CHL

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

I have a Winchester 1300 Defender. It's a great little shotgun. I'm probably going to add the Knox SpecOp stock for recoil. But, like Kinny said, any of the 3 would be good. Remington has the 870 already set up with collapsible stock and pistol grip also. I don't remember the price, but I saw them at Gander Mountain in Lubbock recently.
TacTex
NRA Life Member

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Maybe it's just me, but my 590 kicks noticeably more than either my 870 Wingmaster riot or 870 Marine Magnum.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
DoubleActionCHL

Mike1951 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but my 590 kicks noticeably more than either my 870 Wingmaster riot or 870 Marine Magnum.
I saw the 870 Marine Magnum. I don't know much about it, but it is a sharp looking weapon.

Houston, Texas

--Me

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

Tactical_Texan_CHL wrote:I'm probably going to add the Knox SpecOp stock for recoil.
That's money well spent there. :lol:

I love mine, and I think felt recoil is less than the Benellis

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

:drool:
Byron Dickens

M9FAN

Post by M9FAN »

Tactical_Texan_CHL wrote:I have a Winchester 1300 Defender. It's a great little shotgun.
I, too, have the Winchester Defender 1300 and am very pleased with its' performance and price. Tactical's Defender looks very similiar to mine:

"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

I'm partial to the 870 just because I trust it, because it has such a long track record, and because, as KinnyLee said, there are tons of parts and upgrades easily available.

You can get a tactical model 870 already factory outfitted with the SpecOps stock, mag tube extension, sling rings, black oxide finish, etc., for under $600. Comes with standard bead sights, but the receiver is pre-drilled for a Weaver mounting strip that only costs about 20 bucks, then you're good to go for any optic you choose. Right now, I have an EOTech on mine.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
DoubleActionCHL

Thanks for your input. I've opted for the FN TPS, though. I was able to pick one up in the neighborhood of seven bills. Can't wait to try it out.

Houston, Texas

--Me

CompVest
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CompVest »

I like it!!!!!!!
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

CompVest