AK Variant - I gotta get one - which one

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Kalrog
Posts in topic: 3

AK Variant - I gotta get one - which one

Post by Kalrog »

Okay everyone - I need some help. I am in the market for an AK and I think I gotta get it soon. So I checked the LGS and I can wait if I need to, but the bug has bitten...

The LGS has a few options in AKs, but the 2 that caught my eye the most were a stamped MAK90 - used but in good shape - and one NIB of american manufacture (sorry I missed who). $450 for the MAK and it fits me better. $550 for the NIB one, but I would *HAVE* to replace the stock on that one so I would probably go with a 6 position model for a total price of closer to $625 for the NIB one. Any thoughts on advantages of one over the other or should I hold out for something else?

Oh - and I'm looking 7.62x39 I think. Although I did see a pink camo AK in .223 as well. It was the owner's wife's gun.

Topic author
Kalrog

Re: AK Variant - I gotta get one - which one

Post by Kalrog »

No responses? Was it a bad title? Maybe - I made it more descriptive. Hope that helps.

HerbM
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HerbM »

Kalrog wrote:No responses? Was it a bad title? Maybe - I made it more descriptive. Hope that helps.
'

It's only been one night since you posted. Give it time.

I don't have one -- wish I did. Think that I want a Saiga, in 12 Gauge actually. Maybe even the .223 version (I don't want to own ANOTHER caliber).

I can't recommend them because I don't have one -- but the Saiga 12 Gauge just calls to me.

If you have a reason or practical purpose in mind for wanting it (not just wanting it like me) you might tell folks about that so they can fit the recommendation to your needs.
HerbM

fm2

Post by fm2 »

Lancaster makes a really good AK.

http://www.lancasterarms.com/index.html

Elk river is a local outfit and they make the gunshows. I have heard they make some nice rifles also.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

mdek

Post by mdek »

I'm also looking at possibly getting an AK. Ive been eying the Saigas, but haven't found any good prices locally. I've also heard good things about elk river, but I can't find a price for a complete rifle.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

I was recently in the market for a 5.45x39. Since I had bought my SSR-85C2 from ArmoryUSA, I stopped by Elk River to get a quote. They wanted $700 for a stocked model. I believe it was $750 for a side folder.

I wanted something better than the WASR-2's and Polish Tantal's that Century sells.

I wound up buying a stocked model from Interarms here in Houston for $599. They don't sell direct, so I still had to have it shipped to my transfer dealer.

Not sure if Elk River would also be overpriced on 7.62x39.

Aim Surplus has a few to choose from:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/New_Long_Guns.html
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

xpur3l0g1cx

Post by xpur3l0g1cx »

Get a Saiga and convert. Hands Down :cool:

McKnife

Post by McKnife »

I saw a few on www.TexasGunTrader.com ... give them a try! :patriot:
:coolgleamA:

Tajovo

Post by Tajovo »

Tons of information here: http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/ Also includes their own market place buying, selling and trading all things AK related.
Jeff
Beretta PX4 .40

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

HerbM wrote:
Kalrog wrote:No responses? Was it a bad title? Maybe - I made it more descriptive. Hope that helps.
'

It's only been one night since you posted. Give it time.

I don't have one -- wish I did. Think that I want a Saiga, in 12 Gauge actually. Maybe even the .223 version (I don't want to own ANOTHER caliber).

I can't recommend them because I don't have one -- but the Saiga 12 Gauge just calls to me.

If you have a reason or practical purpose in mind for wanting it (not just wanting it like me) you might tell folks about that so they can fit the recommendation to your needs.
Recently bought the Saiga 12, love the feel of it, but have never fired. The suckers are skyrocketing as the assumption is a 12ga that can take a 20 round drum will be on the top ten for the commie to ban. I paid almost 600 w/ tax a few months ago, and felt I got a deal considerng I'm seeing thm over 700 on GB.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

big 54r

Post by big 54r »

get a saiga in either caliber and convert it with 922r compliance parts and you won't be sorry I assure you, barring that check out rpg arms in Houston, the old global armory guy's, they make good ak's even if a little pricey.

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Its an AK

Its a hammer...get whatever you can afford.

I have a WASR-10, its got the front site cant, but I can dial it in and still shoot 4-5" groups at 100 yards

It eats whatever garbage ammo I throw at it, it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger

Those things were made to be built by peasants with minimal tooling in a garage somewhere
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

fenster

Post by fenster »

so Kalrog, did you make up your mind which of Mikhail's children you're gonna get?

I went back and forth on the ak/ar argument with myself a number of times. I've just now made up my mind to go the AK route and use the cost savings toward a gun-safe.

then the debate of which ak... after much consideration, I'm going with a Saiga 7.62x39. then the choice of buying already converted or doing the pistol grip conversion myself. classic armsoffers a pre-converted model and some extra goodies for $550 as well as an un-converted for $350. adding up the parts to do it myself, the cost savings isnt too much, but I'd be able to pick the grip and stock I like.

I have a saiga 12-ga and did my own conversion on that, so I have a few lessons learned from that project.

I bring this up in case you wish to take the same route, and want to work your saiga project in parallel.

let me know if that's the case.

-John
(long-haired guy in the uta cfp class)

Topic author
Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I did decide. I got a used Mak90 in great shape for a good price in 7.62x39. Now I just gotta get out and shoot it more often.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”