.308s: RRA vs DPMS

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Revet
Posts in topic: 2

.308s: RRA vs DPMS

Post by Revet »

I'd like to get my hands on a few EBRs before a new set of pointless "reasonable restrictions" are imposed upon us. I know similar questions have been posted, but I would like to narrow the criteria down a bit and ask for some opinions on my set of specifics.

I have a .223 and now want a .308 in the AR pattern. It will mostly be for my "B. O. collection" and occasional pleasure shooting on some hill country acreage. I'm also interested in trying my hand at hog hunting. I've never done it and would like this new rifle to be suitable for that. I don't need it for other purposes as I have options for game, varmints and trespassers.

I've read what reviews I could find and have a price range in mind. I keep coming back to the same 2 or 3 possibles:

DPMS Panther LR-308L, or LR-308B (both have 18" barrels)

or the

Rock River Arms LAR 8 (20" barrel)

Their weights range from 8 to 9.65 lbs, and they're similarly rated for accuracy, 1 MOA/100yds...better than I can shoot anyway.

Any comments that would help me decide on one or the other would be much appreciated. I'm also thinking about mounting a Burris Fullfield LRS 30 European (ballistic-plex lighted reticle) 3.5X-10X-50mm scope on my choice. Opinions on that glass/rifle combination for hog hunting would be very helpful too.

Thanks.
Common sense is not common practice.
NRA Benefactor, TSRA life member.

particle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: .308s: RRA vs DPMS

Post by particle »

I'm new to the AR scene - I built my complete lower a few months back - saving money for the upper...

Have you tried researching on some other boards more suited to AR-15's? You might try:

http://www.snipercentral.com/

http://www.ar15.com/
http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drw

Post by drw »

Others with experience with the AR platform will hopefully chime in (I'll be watching the responses eagerly), but I also wanted to propose that you consider the M1A battle rifle. It's an outstanding platform, a bit heavy, but extremely reliable and accurate. It's one of the most precious arms in my EBR collection.

RiverRat

Post by RiverRat »

I have the DPMS and it is a fine rifle. It is front heavy IMO. If I were to do it again, I would put the money in another M1A, which is heavy .......LIKE A ROCK, but balanced.
Life member NRA and TSRA

Topic author
Revet
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Revet »

RiverRat wrote:I have the DPMS and it is a fine rifle. It is front heavy IMO. If I were to do it again, I would put the money in another M1A, which is heavy .......LIKE A ROCK, but balanced.
drw wrote:Others with experience with the AR platform will hopefully chime in (I'll be watching the responses eagerly), but I also wanted to propose that you consider the M1A battle rifle. It's an outstanding platform, a bit heavy, but extremely reliable and accurate. It's one of the most precious arms in my EBR collection.
I'm definitely interested in an M1A. My wish list for after the AR .308 includes a Springfield SOCOM or something along those lines. If a can squeeze the green out of my budget I'd like to have a representative of every EBR and tactical shotgun pattern. My decision to go with the AR10 for my next purchase didn't really have anything to do with logic, just a hankering to have an example of that platform.

If the DPMS is front heavy, then that gives me reason to be cautious. I have a new Sig 556 and the very thing I dislike about it is its front-heaviness. I hoped a true AR pattern rifle would be better balanced.
particle wrote:I'm new to the AR scene - I built my complete lower a few months back - saving money for the upper... Have you tried researching on some other boards more suited to AR-15's?

Yep, but I haven't been on the forum you mention, so I will check that one out. Frankly, I found some of the other forums more confusing than helpful. They had almost equal numbers of owners who swear by one brand, and swear at the other.

Thanks, I look forward to more input--it's appreciated.
Common sense is not common practice.
NRA Benefactor, TSRA life member.

big 54r

Post by big 54r »

revet honestly I am new to the ar type platform's myself but if I where to get one in .308/7.62x51 nato I would go with the rifle that uses Fal type mags as opposed to others because of mag availability and price.

Fal mags are abundant and go for about $10 while m1a and propietary mags can be upwards of $40-$50 or more. So you can see the advantages when one considers laying into a supply of at least 20-30 mags for a MBR in .308.

I personally have a Fal and a Cetme and the mags are easy to get and cheap, my ar is chambered in .223 for my wife but I plan on getting another when budget allows, hopefully by November!

M1a's are awesome but right now I can't envision getting one until I get me a CMMG or an LMT ar in .223.

I drool all over myself when I see an M1a...and know that I can't yet afford it... :cryin

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”