AK questions

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

asleepatthereel
Posts in topic: 2

Re: AK questions

Post by asleepatthereel »

I have to agree with Kalip on the fit and finish of the WASRs. However, a good WASR will serve you just as well as any other AK in my opinion. I have three of them, and of the three, the ugliest is actually the best shooter, but they are all good. All of them came with bare stocks, and I had to sand them down to make them smoother. Mechanically the AK is a very simple design, and in many circles, it is considered superior to the AR platform.

I also agree and highly recommend that you thouroughly check the rifle out carefully or take someone with you who is familiar with the platform to do it for you. Canted front sights are an example of things to look for. The sight should be straight up and down on the barrel and not angled one way or the other.

As far as the WASR not being a 'real' AK, that is as false as saying a Bushmaster is not a real AR because its not made by Colt, or that a Kimber is not a real 1911 because it wasnt made by Mr. Browning. AKs are produced in many different countries, some of which tend to be better assembled, such as Yugoslavian or Russian models. The WASR is made in Romania. To put it simpler, its like the difference between a Chevy work truck and a Silverado.

I kind of liked the fact that I could sand and finish the stock on my Romanian WASR to my liking. It doesnt take alot of skill or time, and gives you the opportunity to personalize it to your liking. Another option would be to get rid of the wood all together and go with one of the many inexpensive composite stocks on the market, and then the fit and finish wouldnt even be an issue.

The metal parts on my WASRs are all scratched, but not to the point that they look like they were dragged down a dirt road. Again, for very little expense you can get a home bluing kit and with some elbow grease have a decent looking finish in no time, or better yet get some Durocoat and further personalize it. :txflag:
Theres room for all Gods creatures. Right between the corn and taters!

15 Dec Applied online
Plastic in hand 30 Apr
Kimber Stainles Ultra Carry II
Colt Defender
M1991A-1 Series 80
Yep. I like .45s
Join and support the NRA today!

Topic author
RECIT
Posts in topic: 11

Post by RECIT »

So in this case it would be a bad idea to order one off the internet. I need to handle and check it before money goes on the table. Are the lancaster stamped units any good? The milled ones are a little more than what I intended on spending but if thats what it takes to get a GOOD one I guess I will. Are the stamped ones on the Lancaster site WASR's?
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

kalipsocs
Posts in topic: 7

Post by kalipsocs »

RECIT wrote:So in this case it would be a bad idea to order one off the internet. I need to handle and check it before money goes on the table. Are the lancaster stamped units any good? The milled ones are a little more than what I intended on spending but if thats what it takes to get a GOOD one I guess I will. Are the stamped ones on the Lancaster site WASR's?
I am going to take a guess and say no they are not. Lancaster usually doesn't stock them anytime I have looked. The difference between the milled and stamped is the manufacturing process. I am going on a limb here and saying that the milled will have a greater fit and finish and better tolerances, but its still an AK. Functionality is why everyone loves the AK and functionally there won't be a difference between the two. Oh and the milled will have a shiny bolt carrier and stamped a black bolt carrier :mrgreen:

The most outwardly visible way to spot an AK built from a kit (and otherwise not a Century) is the mag well dimples. Look for the indentations on the side near where you insert the magazine. This doesn't hold true for all of Century's builds because the Yugos as well as the Tantal AK-74s have mag well dimples. But generally speaking, Century does not have these because they manufacture the rifle as a single stack rifle, cut out the mag well once it arrives in the US to accept double stack magazines, and weld small metal plates on the inside to keep the magazines in there. If the job is done bad thats where either a extremely tight magazine fit or extremely loose fit comes in.

Topic author
RECIT

Post by RECIT »

I would assume the milled receivers are going to be higher quality or better fit and finish. Even the regular Lancaster models are more than I have seen the cheaper Ak's for. I just don't want to order one from them and pay more for it and get and lesser version. They offer the stamped AND milled versions with a price difference of a few hundred dollars. Is any stamped version considered a WASR? If so I can get one quite a bit cheaper than they offer.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

kalipsocs

Post by kalipsocs »

WASRs and SAR rifles are exclusive to Century Arm International or CAI for sure. Lancasters as far as I know are kit builds meaning they were once upon a time a fully auto AK and decommissioned and imported as per BATFs rules. They basically take a torch and cut the reciever into thirds because it can readily accept a full auto fire control group. Then either an entrepreneurial soul or company licensed to "manufacture" weapons bends and heat treat a ak receiver flat and rivets it all back together without the "third hole", only accepting a semi-auto FCG. Oops...got on a roll again ;-) Anyway, I have never heard any complaints about Lancaster builds, nor any of the other full blooded AKs or kit build AKs.

Bottom line is, if you do get a WASR read up on what to look for when you buy one and make sure to personally inspect what you buy. If you get a Lancaster, order it and never look back! If you get a good WASR, you won't be unhappy. Me personally, if I had to do it all over again I would have spent the few extra bucks and got a Romanian "G" build (like i have now), Bulgarian, or Yugo when you could find them. I love talkin AK :cheers2:

Topic author
RECIT

Post by RECIT »

Thanks a lot for giving me some GOOD advice. The gun show is this weekend at Reliant Center so I might have a new rifle this weekend depending on what I see and can negotiate. If not I'll continue to shop and maybe get one from Lancaster.

Topic author
RECIT

Post by RECIT »

I have done a bit of research this week and I am now interested in the CZ VZ58 if any one has any input on those. Very similar, but looks to be better value for the money...

kalipsocs

Post by kalipsocs »

RECIT wrote:I have done a bit of research this week and I am now interested in the CZ VZ58 if any one has any input on those. Very similar, but looks to be better value for the money...
I don't know gobs about them, but I would stick with the AKs. Better to have a rifle with circulation in the millions than one in the thousands. Spare parts, etc. I am not sure that the CZ takes standard AK mags. I have just seen them on the net, never in person. They look similar but they are not the same rifle inside or out. Fair warning

Topic author
RECIT

Post by RECIT »

You have a good point and the CZ VZ rifles are more than what I want to spend after doing more research. The gun show was a let down big time, but I wasted time and didn't get there until late on Sunday so it was my fault. I think I am gong to just bite the bullet and buy a Lancaster unit. They are offering a Desert Tan finish on the receiver at no charge so I think I'm going to get that with the black synthetic furniture. Now I need to contact Lancaster and see what the proses is. Thank you for all the advice and I will post pics or be back on the thread for more advice. Thanx again

WarHawk-AVG
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

There is also another option

Get a Saiga in 7.62x39 then just change out the furniture.

Saiga makes a version from .223 all the way up to 12GA (yes a mag fed auto shotgun!)
http://www.raacfirearms.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However I believe they use proprietary mags so getting mags may get expensive
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Jesse1911
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jesse1911 »

When I bought my Yugo underfolder, there was a WASR right next to it, and just by holding both of them and opening up the receiver cover, I fell in love with the yugo. The quality of the metal and parts inside is not the same and for $150 more, I went with the Yugo. I will never buy a WASR, eventhough I initially was planing on getting one, till I saw and felt the difference. Even my chinese Norinco is better quality than WASR. This is just my personal experience and opinion (.02). Good luck with what ever you choose, and hope its fast cause you never know whats gonna happen with our future president. :txflag:
***Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace no safety.***

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Jesse1911 wrote:When I bought my Yugo underfolder, there was a WASR right next to it, and just by holding both of them and opening up the receiver cover, I fell in love with the yugo. The quality of the metal and parts inside is not the same and for $150 more, I went with the Yugo. I will never buy a WASR, eventhough I initially was planing on getting one, till I saw and felt the difference. Even my chinese Norinco is better quality than WASR. This is just my personal experience and opinion (.02). Good luck with what ever you choose, and hope its fast cause you never know whats gonna happen with our future president. :txflag:
Stamped or milled reciever on the Yugo?
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

matrxx

Post by matrxx »

kalipsocs wrote:Okay I know I will be the outside opinion here, but the WASR is a hit or miss. If its a hit, then its a hit.....but if its a miss, you usually miss big time. I feel like I can speak on them having been through 2 now. The first one was a nightmare. Trigger slap, canted front sight, and tight mag fit all on the same rifle. I spent $300 on the rifle, and then 150 fixing it. But I still was not happy with it. Sold it and got another WASR after I knew about the common problems. This was a great rifle and even had the G2 trigger when they weren't standard. Now that I have a Romy G custom build though, you notice the small things that add up to make it a whole new level of rifle. Price is always an issue as they keep getting more and more expensive, but I would say spend a little more on a good build from Lancaster or Saiga conversion. The only other type I have personally fired was a Bulgarian stamped receiver and I can say it is worth every penny at around $600. I think it better to get more polished AK than risk any money on a WASR because the people at Century putting those things together literally get paid 8.50 an hour. If I can find the ad again I will post :lol:

What's going on with SAR-1 ? are they built for commercial or mil?

matrxx

Post by matrxx »

WarHawk-AVG wrote:
Stamped or milled reciever on the Yugo?
How much difference doest it cost between one with Stamped and milled receiver?

matrxx

Post by matrxx »

AK with Fixed stock or folding stock? which ones would you choose?

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”