Marlin 795SS range report

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
mr.72
Posts in topic: 10

Marlin 795SS range report

Post by mr.72 »

I got my Marlin 795SS on Saturday and made it to the range Sunday. This is a black synthetic stock with stainless barrel/receiver .22LR carbine rifle.

I was shooting Federal bulk pack ammo from Wal Mart strictly with open sights and off-hand.

At 15 yards, I was able to shoot sub-1" groups easily. 50 yards the groups were about 2-3" and at 100 yards they were about 4" and about 3-4" below the bullseye. This was far better accuracy than we had with the other .22LR rifle we brought along, a Winchester 190 from the early 70s. We noted that the light weight of the synthetic stock made it easy to keep it on target. These shots were made in 10-shot groups shooting fairly rapid fire.

The gun fed perfectly and did not have a single failure of any kind through about 150 rounds of ammo. However, it didn't lock the bolt back after the last round like it is supposed to. I suspect the bulk pack ammo is not hot enough to knock the bolt all the way back to catch on the magazine follower. Gotta look into this when I clean it.

The fact that I could get decent groups on a 12" target that I could barely even see from 100 yards makes me really want to put a scope on this rifle.
non-conformist CHL holder

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Marlin 795SS range report

Post by anygunanywhere »

mr.72 wrote:I got my Marlin 795SS on Saturday and made it to the range Sunday. This is a black synthetic stock with stainless barrel/receiver .22LR carbine rifle.

I was shooting Federal bulk pack ammo from Wal Mart strictly with open sights and off-hand.

At 15 yards, I was able to shoot sub-1" groups easily. 50 yards the groups were about 2-3" and at 100 yards they were about 4" and about 3-4" below the bullseye. This was far better accuracy than we had with the other .22LR rifle we brought along, a Winchester 190 from the early 70s. We noted that the light weight of the synthetic stock made it easy to keep it on target. These shots were made in 10-shot groups shooting fairly rapid fire.

The gun fed perfectly and did not have a single failure of any kind through about 150 rounds of ammo. However, it didn't lock the bolt back after the last round like it is supposed to. I suspect the bulk pack ammo is not hot enough to knock the bolt all the way back to catch on the magazine follower. Gotta look into this when I clean it.

The fact that I could get decent groups on a 12" target that I could barely even see from 100 yards makes me really want to put a scope on this rifle.
Excellent. Sometimes we often forget how gratifying a range session with a basic .22 can be to boost one''s confidence and skill. Everyone should have a .22 rifle and pistol as part of their flock.

Nice job, mr. 72!

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

BobCat
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BobCat »

Mr 72,

Congratulations! Glad you got a good one. I shoot a lot of .22 bulk pack - the .22 is a wonderful teacher.

And the fact that you can shoot good groups with iron sights, on a target you could barely see, might prompt you to scope it... but I'd take it as evidence you would enjoy shooting iron sights competitively (Highpower or Smallbore) - and do well at it.

Regards,
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Topic author
mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

BobCat wrote:take it as evidence you would enjoy shooting iron sights competitively (Highpower or Smallbore) - and do well at it.
Well, who knows. I probably never will find out. Sounds like an expensive hobby. I already have plenty of expensive and time-consuming hobbies.

I do enjoy the challenge of shooting with open sights. I think if there were a 20, 30 or 50 yard target distance at the place where I go shooting, I'd be much more likely to enjoy shooting open sights all of the time. At 100 yards it's just too hard to see even a 12" diameter target. It looks like a "dot" on top of the front sight. However I think at 20-50 yards, I could happily shoot open sights all day. I need to go there to the range and whip up a movable target stand.

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

mr.72 wrote:
BobCat wrote:take it as evidence you would enjoy shooting iron sights competitively (Highpower or Smallbore) - and do well at it.
Well, who knows. I probably never will find out. Sounds like an expensive hobby. I already have plenty of expensive and time-consuming hobbies.

I do enjoy the challenge of shooting with open sights. I think if there were a 20, 30 or 50 yard target distance at the place where I go shooting, I'd be much more likely to enjoy shooting open sights all of the time. At 100 yards it's just too hard to see even a 12" diameter target. It looks like a "dot" on top of the front sight. However I think at 20-50 yards, I could happily shoot open sights all day. I need to go there to the range and whip up a movable target stand.
Thats what a man size target looks like at 500 yards (teeny blurry black blob on a white backdrop)..yet it seems I could hit it at 500 yards 8 out of 10 times.

Good shooting thru irons mean you don't see your target but a fuzzy blob...the front site post is clear and distinct
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Topic author
mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

WarHawk-AVG wrote: Good shooting thru irons mean you don't see your target but a fuzzy blob...the front site post is clear and distinct

Yes I can see how that is. However, hitting the target (in my case, a 12" target, which is a speck-sized blurry blob atop the front sight) is one thing (which I am sure I can do 10 times out of 10 at 100 yards). But hitting the bullseye is another thing altogether. Ain't no way even to SEE that bullseye.

FWIW at 100 yards with my .22, I was "covering" the target with the front sight and hitting in the outer 3" ring on a 12" target, groups about 2" high and about 4" long horizontally. So they were maybe 3-4" low of the bullseye, which makes sense. I was surprised at how well the sights were dialed in from the factory. I think with some higher-velocity ammo that would stay supersonic at 100 yards I could probably shoot better. This experience made me want to go get a .17HMR bolt gun :)

Next on my list is probably a .223 bolt-action rifle.

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

You do not need to see the bullseye to hit it. All you need is the fuzzy blob and the crisp sight. You are shooting 2-3 minute groups, that is good enough. Prone you will shoot smaller groups, all you do is move the sights to center the group. You need not see the bullseye or scoring rings at all - no one can see those except Superman, and he is not looking...

Enjoy your new rifle! And if you are ever going to be near Houston on the thrid Sunday of the month, e-mail in advance me to see if the midrange match that month is 300 or 600. I have a rifle you can use for 300 - it shoots 69 grain SMKs real well, all day long, but is too slow a twist to shoot the 80s necessary for 600. I'll set you up with rifle, ammo, spotting scope, mat, and glove - you bring your ears and eyes (muffs and glasses). This goes for anyone on here... not to try and get anyone hooked on a new, expensive (really isn't) all-consuming hobby, just sayin'...

Regards,
Andrew

Topic author
mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

Thanks for the invite, Andrew. Sounds like fun, to do at least once :)

Topic author
mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

Well range day #2 was a success. Myself, my dad and my 12 and 15 year old daughters.

We mounted the cheap BSA 4x32 scope and it almost made it too easy. I shot mostly sub-2" groups, maybe 1.5", at 50 yards with the scope on a sandbag rest. Couple of times I managed a ragged hole for 10 shots with the sandbag (sub-1" group). Unsupported my groups were approximately the same at 50 yards (although I am looking at the target now, couple of fliers). These are 10-shot groups. My daughters shot 3" or smaller groups at 20 yards, and were maybe 4-5" for 10 shots at 50 yards. Including sighting in the scope, 20 and 50 yard shooting, we probably went through 250+ rounds. The kids were proud of themselves. My dad shot about the same as me with my rifle.

Shooting unsupported just took a better sense of timing for me... figure out how fast, what direction the gun is moving across the target and pull the trigger at the right time.

The Marlin shot great. Couple of times the bolt actually held itself open after the last shot. Two FTE type of jams with the brass stuck in the bolt, both times with my lefty daughter shooting. I think she may be blocking the ejection and knocking it back in. One light load that failed to cycle the bolt enough to properly chamber the next round. This was a very good day at the range.

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

mr.72 wrote:Well range day #2 was a success. Myself, my dad and my 12 and 15 year old daughters.

We mounted the cheap BSA 4x32 scope and it almost made it too easy. I shot mostly sub-2" groups, maybe 1.5", at 50 yards with the scope on a sandbag rest. Couple of times I managed a ragged hole for 10 shots with the sandbag (sub-1" group). Unsupported my groups were approximately the same at 50 yards (although I am looking at the target now, couple of fliers). These are 10-shot groups. My daughters shot 3" or smaller groups at 20 yards, and were maybe 4-5" for 10 shots at 50 yards. Including sighting in the scope, 20 and 50 yard shooting, we probably went through 250+ rounds. The kids were proud of themselves. My dad shot about the same as me with my rifle.

Shooting unsupported just took a better sense of timing for me... figure out how fast, what direction the gun is moving across the target and pull the trigger at the right time.

The Marlin shot great. Couple of times the bolt actually held itself open after the last shot. Two FTE type of jams with the brass stuck in the bolt, both times with my lefty daughter shooting. I think she may be blocking the ejection and knocking it back in. One light load that failed to cycle the bolt enough to properly chamber the next round. This was a very good day at the range.
Sounds like your ammo might have been the problem with the groups and the FTE and all that...I do know the Remington 550 box from WallyWorld ain't the greatest...I get about 1 out of 50 that just dont seem to shoot right or cause jams in my Ruger 10/22 Krinker.
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Topic author
mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

Ammo is not the problem with the groups :) I actually think I shoot better groups with open sights because I am not so distracted by the reticle moving across the target constantly.

The ammo is maybe causing some FTEs and the bolt to not stay open after the last shot. This box is almost done. I will try another brand next time. These were Federal Value Pack from Wal Mart. I know the Remington Golden Bullet are also junk. I will see what else they have next time.

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

mr.72 wrote:Ammo is not the problem with the groups :) I actually think I shoot better groups with open sights because I am not so distracted by the reticle moving across the target constantly.
That's exactly why I don't have a scope on any of my rifles any more. Seeing too much gets me jumping on the trigger and throwing wild shots. Iron sights are just so much easier to shoot (for me, not generalizing to others).

I've had decent luck with the Federal bulk pack, but you may wish to buy some actually good .22 ammo to see how well your new rifle shoots. Glad you are having a good time with it!

Regards,
Andrew

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

Rimfire rifles are as fickle about ammo as teenage girls are about boyfriends. Sometimes they pick the one from the wrong side of the tracks, and if it makes her happy, we just need to get over our snobbery and accept it. ;-)

Seriously, I've had rifles that shot miserable groups with Green Tag or Eley Tenex, but cut cloverleafs all day with loose-pack Yellowjackets or "Bucket O' Bullets".

There is no such thing as accurate .22 ammo, only accurate ammo/rifle combinations. You might find more consistency with more expensive brands, but not always. You have to shop and try things out for yourself, and don't forget that a "good" brand can turn to crap in a different production lot or year.

Topic author
mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

Well it's not accuracy I am concerned with, since minute-of-pop-can is what I'm after.

However getting something that will consistently cycle the bolt back enough to hold it open after the last shot would be nice. Likewise something that doesn't leave the rifle a complete mess after a day of plinking would be good.

For the time being this rifle is more than accurate enough to do what we want to do with it. I'm not trying to get head shots on squirrels at 100 yards. The Federal ammo I was using, if zeroed at 50 yards, shoots 8" or so low at 100 yards. That's a lot of drop. The box says it's 1260fps and 1000fps at 100 yards with 5.6" of drop. No way! I think it's just underpowered ammo.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

mr.72 wrote:Well range day #2 was a success. Myself, my dad and my 12 and 15 year old daughters.

Sounds like an excellent outing!

Let me say "Good on ya" for getting those girls out there to shoot. :tiphat:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”