Cheap shotguns at Academy

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 1

Cheap shotguns at Academy

Post by ml1209 »

I noticed they had a Maverick 88 and a NEF Pardner pump, both with 18.5" barrels and both pump-action for home defense. The prices were the same - $189.99.

Is this a good deal? If so, which would you prefer?

WarHawk-AVG

Re: Cheap shotguns at Academy

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Those are OUTSTANDING deals!

If you can get a 18~" Shotgun anywhere for sub $200 jump on it like a fat kid on a twinky!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

FlynJay

Post by FlynJay »

ml1209 wrote:I noticed they had a Maverick 88 and a NEF Pardner pump, both with 18.5" barrels and both pump-action for home defense. The prices were the same - $189.99.

Is this a good deal? If so, which would you prefer?
Actually not that good of a deal for the maverick. I got the 28.5" field version for $160, around Christmas (already have 300 rounds through it). For that price I would look towards the Mossberg 500 for ~$230, which is almost exactly the same except it comes with three chokes. Of course if you are only looking for a home defender the choke issue is moot.
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

The 500 also has the safety on the top rear, where a simple push with the thumb moves it. The 88 has a safety in the leading edge of the trigger guard. It's the only gun I have ever seen that on, so it's less than intuitive.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

The Mavericks have a ONE year warranty. The 500s have a TEN year warranty. I bought the 500 and also because of the safety operation/location. Check the pawn shops if you want a cheapy, you might find a used Winchester 870 in that price range.
Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

fickman

Post by fickman »

lrb111 wrote:The 500 also has the safety on the top rear, where a simple push with the thumb moves it. The 88 has a safety in the leading edge of the trigger guard. It's the only gun I have ever seen that on, so it's less than intuitive.
I think the Winchester 1300 has it in the same place, but I still like the Mossberg's position, although somebody said it's a little more cumbersome to get to if you put a telescoping stock with pistol grips on it.
OverEasy wrote:The Mavericks have a ONE year warranty. The 500s have a TEN year warranty. I bought the 500 and also because of the safety operation/location. Check the pawn shops if you want a cheapy, you might find a used Winchester 870 in that price range.
Regards, OE
Not being picky - but I think you meant the Remington 870.

The cheap Remington Express 870 is a little rougher around the edges when dealing with the action. If you don't do a swift, strong, crisp pump, it can give you problems. I've never had an issue, but a few friends who were either smaller or too timid got it locked up a little.

The other main difference in the 870 and the Mossberg 500 is the openness and ease of access to the Mossberg's magazine tube. The Remington has a flap there, and I've gotten a shell stuck in mine before because I didn't push it far enough to click. If reloading under stress, the Remington will be harder to do.

I have a Remington 870 Express in a field-length barrel and a Mossberg 500 in a 20" HD barrel. Mossberg makes a combination 500 with a 28" field barrel and an 18.5" HD barrel, but they're pretty hard to come by right now. Cabela's has them for $350 but rarely gets to put it on the shelf when they get one in.
Native Texian

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”