Left Handed AR-15

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TDDude
Posts in topic: 2

Left Handed AR-15

Post by TDDude »

Any left handers out there with a left handed EBR? I'm looking to build one and was wondering if there are any "gotchas" that I need to know about.

So far in my limited research, I've only found Stag Arms that makes a left handed upper. Are there any other manufacturers out there?

My son is right handed but left eye dominant. He shoots pistols right handed but rifles left handed and I would really like to make a lefty AR his Cristmas present this year.

:txflag: :patriot:
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

TraCoun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Left Handed AR-15

Post by TraCoun »

TDDude,
I can't add directly to your info, but I got a Stag Arms lefty AR about 4 years ago. I love it. It does not need special magazines or anything, the only real difference is the ejection port is on the other side and opens differently. I know of 2 others who got them, too, and have not heard any bad reports.
Thanx,
TraCoun

Chuck TX

Post by Chuck TX »

Stag is going to be your best bet for a lefty AR. Depending on what you're looking for quality wise. Stags are good for the money, but tracking down a lefty in-stock may be a problem. What's your price range?

I wouldn't even bother with a lefty AR, however. Any regular AR with a brass deflector (i.e. not a slick side) will work just fine especially if you pick the right buffer weight and spring to control ejection.

I shoot right and left for practice and don't get brassed. My oldest friend and hunting pal is a southpaw and he uses straight up righty AR's, not even an ambi-safety because he so used to everything be backwards.

My 2 cents, with the prices of AR15's dropping I'd get the best quality regular AR in your price range, and install an ambi-safety. You could easily build a BCM rifle (top tier) for under a grand these days, and there's a lot of good deals out there right now for complete rifles.
"Come and Take it!" - Texans, October 2, 1835

Topic author
TDDude

Post by TDDude »

Chuck TX wrote: I wouldn't even bother with a lefty AR, however. Any regular AR with a brass deflector (i.e. not a slick side) will work just fine especially if you pick the right buffer weight and spring to control ejection.

I shoot right and left for practice and don't get brassed. My oldest friend and hunting pal is a southpaw and he uses straight up righty AR's, not even an ambi-safety because he so used to everything be backwards.

My 2 cents, with the prices of AR15's dropping I'd get the best quality regular AR in your price range, and install an ambi-safety. You could easily build a BCM rifle (top tier) for under a grand these days, and there's a lot of good deals out there right now for complete rifles.
I agree with you on it probably not making much of a difference, especially since the lower is still set up for right handers. The only benefit is the ejection issue. Now if we could get left handed lowers with the magazine catch and bolt release inverted with the catch hole cut on both sides of the mag, then I'd really be in business. And if pigs could sing, they probably wouldn't taste as good.

BUT, I want to build it lefty because it will make it his, it will come "custom" from me, I already have a complete lower waiting for its mate, and most important of all, builing AR's is fun.

I will check out BCM to see if they have lefty versions.

Thanks for the input.
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

Chuck TX

Post by Chuck TX »

Positive BCM doesn't make any lefties. They carry Stags, but not the lefties. Finding a Stag Lefty upper that you won't have to wait 10 or more weeks for is going to be very challenging.

NORGON does make a drop in ambi mag release, they're around $80-90.

You could always get him a FN SCAR, they're ambi and a steal at ~$3K. I'm sure he'd be happy with one of those. :biggrinjester:
"Come and Take it!" - Texans, October 2, 1835

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I have always used right hand AR's and had no problem. I thought about getting a lefty but then I thought it would be harder to sell if I ever wanted to.

southboundp

Post by southboundp »

That will be a really special builld for your son. I googled "left hand upper" and "left hand lower" and had several hits. Might try that to get the ball rolling. Good luck and post your progress.
Glock 27 .40 cal.
Taurus 24/7 Pro C 9mm
DMPS Panther Lite 16" 5.56 AR

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I've promised myself that if I ever buy an AR-10, it will be a left handed one; so I guess that limits me to Stag. All I know is that after years of shooting a right handed bolt action rifle, when I finally ponied up and bought myself a nice left-handed bolt rifle, it opened up a whole new world of satisfaction and possibilities for me. (...and no, that is NOT a bullet hole in the brick next to the fireplace in the picture. :mrgreen: )

Both of my AR-15s are right handed, and I manage OK with it that way, but I am willing to wait for a lefty AR-10 whenever I get around to ordering one.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”