Yildiz Shotguns

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Jbird5363
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Yildiz Shotguns

Post by Jbird5363 »

I own o/u's up to about 1500 bucks and I like me yildiz the most. I like the fact that it's light I can shoot all day and be tired from lugging around a heavy gun like my browning. My yildiz is the 12ga it's good dove gun and great skeet they come with several chokes. And I love acadamy buy most of my pistols and shotguns there.
App sent oct 1
chl in hand nov 3

Rick343

Post by Rick343 »

I bought a O/U 20 ga and am very pleased with it. The recoil is more that a Mossburg or Winchester pump but for the price it's well worth it. I've shot alot of Doves with mine, when your just wearing a T shirt it feels worse than it really is. Great gun for a great price.

big 54r

Post by big 54r »

I have been shooting skeet with a friends Yildiz for awhile know and it is very nice and extremely shootable for me but I am not a shotgunner so my experience might not be up to snuff...

I would buy one when the time comes for me to get a skeet gun after a cpl other projects are 1st taken care of. ymmv.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

We bought my wife a Yildiz O/U 20 gage at Academy last week for skeet shooting. She hasn't had a chance to shoot it, but she was there and tried it on for size/weight/length of pull before we got it, and it seems just about right for her.

Compared to my Stoeger Condor Competition model, it seems to be less "substantial" mechanically - with its alloy receiver and block - but the quality of the wood is impressive for a shotgun at that price point.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Ropin

Post by Ropin »

Funny!

TAM, I wondered after our DFW Skeet Meet how long it would be before she had her own shotgun.

Sounds like we need to coordinate SM2 so she can cozy up to her new friend.
Class 08/08
Packet Sent 08/10
Processing app 08/31
Complete 10/21

blackdog8200

Post by blackdog8200 »

aggie06 wrote:Well, I think I may have spoken a little too soon. I went out this morning for a quick dove hunt and had 4 shells fail to eject. The ejector on the bottom barrel got stuck 3 times and the top barrel got stuck once. That's a little concerning since I only went through 1 box of shells. I guess I'll let y'all know how well the company deals with the problem.
1st:
Clean and use some choke grease or shooters choice on the ejector rods....I haven't doone it but having them polished migh help too.

My son and I both have the Yildiz, he has the cheaper one and I bought the expensive one, the MX clays, used. The extractors tend to stick with the cheap Winchester ammo and some of the remington cheap stuff as well. I think it might be the thin low brass (aluminum or tin) cases.....They swell up and don't want to pop out. Briley in Houston does the warranty work for Yildiz here in the states. You might try a little polishing of the chamber for the first 1/2 inch with a very fine sand paper and I put a little shooters choice on my finger and just lightly wipe the chambers before I shoot. You might want to run a bore snake through it every 50 rounds or so when you shoot the cheap stuff as well.

This is a common issue with them.....but concidering the price, is like getting 24 cases of ammo free over a Browning.
There is a good source of Yildiz info here:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope it helps! :txflag:

I have no problems with Rio ammo BTW.
Harris County
NRA Life Member 1986

Topic author
aggie06
Posts in topic: 8

Post by aggie06 »

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I took it back to Academy today to have it sent off for repair under warranty. I took it to the same Academy I bought the gun from (75 and Royal), and was just as disappointed with the service from the guys behind the gun counter. The store manager and the guy working the front were great, but the gun counter supervisor was a bit of a jackwagon.

First, he told me the gun does not have "ejectors" but that it has "extractors." He swore up and down that this gun was not designed to eject anything, but that it was designed to push the spent shells up so I could take them out with my hands. After a few minutes of me explaining that it does have ejectors, and those ejectors work most of the time, he finally relented, just to accuse me of not choosing the correct loads. According to him, anything less than 1 1/8 oz is insufficient to "fire the ejectors." I looked at him like he was crazy and just told him to send it off so that an actual gunsmith could take a look. After all that, he decided I needed to go home and figure out exactly what brand, shot size, and shot weight I had used in it before he could send it for repair. I think he could sense my frustration (at least I hope he could) when I told him everything I put in it failed at some point. He finally agreed to just send it off and let the gunsmiths deal with it.

It should not have taken that much effort to get the gun repaired. This is the second time in two tries that I have had a bad experience with that particular Academy's gun counter. What a shame. Every other Academy has been great.

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of the repairs.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 3

Post by pbwalker »

aggie06 wrote:Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I took it back to Academy today to have it sent off for repair under warranty. I took it to the same Academy I bought the gun from (75 and Royal), and was just as disappointed with the service from the guys behind the gun counter. The store manager and the guy working the front were great, but the gun counter supervisor was a bit of a jackwagon.

First, he told me the gun does not have "ejectors" but that it has "extractors." He swore up and down that this gun was not designed to eject anything, but that it was designed to push the spent shells up so I could take them out with my hands. After a few minutes of me explaining that it does have ejectors, and those ejectors work most of the time, he finally relented, just to accuse me of not choosing the correct loads. According to him, anything less than 1 1/8 oz is insufficient to "fire the ejectors." I looked at him like he was crazy and just told him to send it off so that an actual gunsmith could take a look. After all that, he decided I needed to go home and figure out exactly what brand, shot size, and shot weight I had used in it before he could send it for repair. I think he could sense my frustration (at least I hope he could) when I told him everything I put in it failed at some point. He finally agreed to just send it off and let the gunsmiths deal with it.

It should not have taken that much effort to get the gun repaired. This is the second time in two tries that I have had a bad experience with that particular Academy's gun counter. What a shame. Every other Academy has been great.

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of the repairs.
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you (in the general) sign a piece of paper saying that you will send firearms off to the manufacturer once you leave Academy? Every purchase I've made there says that if there are any issues, I have to deal with the manufacturer.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Topic author
aggie06
Posts in topic: 8

Post by aggie06 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you (in the general) sign a piece of paper saying that you will send firearms off to the manufacturer once you leave Academy? Every purchase I've made there says that if there are any issues, I have to deal with the manufacturer.
With Yildiz, you're supposed to bring it back to them. I asked them where to send it for warranty work and all they would say is to bring it back in to any Academy. I thought it was weird too, but they act like it is an Academy brand.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 3

Post by pbwalker »

aggie06 wrote:
With Yildiz, you're supposed to bring it back to them. I asked them where to send it for warranty work and all they would say is to bring it back in to any Academy. I thought it was weird too, but they act like it is an Academy brand.
That's good to know! Sorry about the useless rep at the gun bar...I ran in to one at Bass Pro who thought she was the be-all, end-all on anything firearms.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Briley handles warranty for Yildiz and they are in Houston.

I would certainly call Briley amd see if you can bypass Academy.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The Best wood stock made do come from Turkey. They are specialized in that field. I did not check those guns but Shotguns could be hand made and very nice. If they look like $1k gun and they are sold for $400 you got a good deal.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

bluesea112

Post by bluesea112 »

Academy is the importer of the Yildiz shotgun, therefore they are listed as the manufacturer. That is why they have you bring the shotgun back to them to have the shotgun sent off for repairs.

On another note, I purchased one of the new semi-auto Yildiz 12 gauges from Academy around the first part of December. The first time I took it duck hunting, I had a problem with the spent shells not being ejected from the chamber. After each shot I had to pull them out by hand. I did that about 10 times and then one finally ejected by itself. I was releieved and kept hunting. The very next shot I took I missed, so I fired a second shot. When I pulled the trigger on that second shot, chamber exploded. The bolt was blown back so hard that it got stuck, and the trap door on the bottom where you load the shells was blown completely off. The trap door missed my leg by about 1/8" and cut a nice hole right through the leg of my waders. it turns out that the shell from the first shot was not completely ejected, but the second shell was picked up by the bolt. The first shell kept the bolt from closing all the way, but the gun still fired when I pulled the trigger on the second shell. In the end the only casualties were a pair of neoprene waders and my nerves. I took the gun back to Academy, and it is going in to the 4th week waiting on the repair. I called them today and they told me that it was still at Briley's.

bluesea112

Post by bluesea112 »

BTW, I forgot to mention that I have a Yildiz O/U 12 Gauge that I absolutely LOVE! I have never had a single problem with my O/U, and I would highly recommend Yildiz if you are in the market for a double gun.

Randy797

Post by Randy797 »

I owned one in 20ga for a short while and really liked it. I sold it to a friend when I decided to buy a Beretta. My buddy loved it until the lower ectractor broke. He has had a tough time finding anyone to work on it.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”