sporting clay random number on the disc?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 5

Re: sporting clay random number on the disc?

Post by seamusTX »

They are mold numbers and possibly used for quality control, though I have never heard of any kind of follow-up.

I have bought boxes of clays where it seems like every fourth or fifth one breaks on the thrower, but how do you send them back for a refund?

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I dunno. I nearly always buy Remington because that's what Academy sells here. I've had boxes that worked fine and then boxes where, as I said, 20% or more broke off the thrower.

I suspect it has something to do with how the boxes were handled.

I see that Academy is selling a brand called Champion now, but I stocked up on Remington a while back.

BTW, it's truly sporting to shoot the broken pieces in the air.

- Jim

threoh8
Posts in topic: 1

Post by threoh8 »

In college, I worked in the sporting goods department at Best Products. Some items were stored upstairs. When we sent a customer order up, (Pneumatic tube - remember those?) some warehouse guy would get the item and slide it down the ramp to a very abrupt stop. When I realized that clay pigeons went through that process, I had a talk with the boss to get them relocated downstairs. More work for me, better for the customer.

No telling how many clays had been broken right at the end of the ramp.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

couzin

Post by couzin »

Aprapos of nothing - but clays related - have any of you seen these people trying to sell individual clays and part boxes of clays on enormous bay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLAY-PIDGEON-TARGET ... ltDomain_0

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLAY-PIGEONS-SPORTI ... ltDomain_0

Are they serious?
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

couzin wrote:Aprapos of nothing - but clays related - have any of you seen these people trying to sell individual clays and part boxes of clays on enormous bay? Are they serious?
Maybe collecting clays will replace Beanie Babies. There's a sucker born every minute. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

It's free enterprise. If someone wants to pay the price of an entire box of 90 for a single clay, so be it.

People collect old shotshell boxes. Sometimes the empty box sells for more than it sold when it was new and full.

A guy came to the skeet range once with two old boxes of shotshells, maybe 20 or 30 years old. I begged him to trade for two new boxes that I had, but he wouldn't do it.

- Jim

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

seamusTX wrote:It's free enterprise. If someone wants to pay the price of an entire box of 90 for a single clay, so be it.

People collect old shotshell boxes. Sometimes the empty box sells for more than it sold when it was new and full.

A guy came to the skeet range once with two old boxes of shotshells, maybe 20 or 30 years old. I begged him to trade for two new boxes that I had, but he wouldn't do it.

- Jim
I have no problem with people collecting and paying whatever they want as long as they are making informed decisions. My comment about Beanie Babies comes from knowing several people [including some children] spending large sums of money thinking that they were making an "investment."
NRA Endowment Member

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

"The Madness of Crowds"

During the Beanie Babies craze, people were reportedly going to the golden arches place, buying happy meals, and throwing away the food just to get the stupid little dolls. I don't know how anyone could think that an item that was literally manufactured by the billions could be worth anything in less than 1,000 years.

- Jim

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

seamusTX wrote:"The Madness of Crowds"

During the Beanie Babies craze, people were reportedly going to the golden arches place, buying happy meals, and throwing away the food just to get the stupid little dolls. I don't know how anyone could think that an item that was literally manufactured by the billions could be worth anything in less than 1,000 years.

- Jim
Hence, my first quote.
NRA Endowment Member

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

WildBill wrote:I have no problem with people collecting and paying whatever they want as long as they are making informed decisions.
I understand what you're saying, but this stuff is not being sold by aggressive salesman or promoted by dishonest shills on TV (as so many stocks were, or gold is now). Someone has to go to eBay and search for the item.

There's a field of "collectibles" known as "celebrity boogers." It includes stuff like silverware and bed linens supposedly used by celebrities and then not washed. For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/J-D-Salinger-PERSON ... ltDomain_0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can only help people so much. If adults are going to run with scissors, they're going to have to learn the hard way.

- Jim

Gunoutdoorsman43

Post by Gunoutdoorsman43 »

I used 200 clay skeet of champion clay targets and not one broke in the thrower or by just hitting the ground. Very durable but will break when shot. I get them at academy.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”